Some advise please

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Gents.
I have located a transaxle on the Aberdeen UK craigslist. I am waiting on more details from the seller. My question is, is there any one local I could send the money to? He has quoted me a price delivered to the US. I am good with the price, but want to make sure I am not getting scammed. Anyone with advise, please email me directly.

[email protected]

Thank You
Regards Brian

Gents.
I have located a transaxle on the Aberdeen UK craigslist. I am waiting on more details from the seller. My question is, is there any one local I could send the money to? He has quoted me a price delivered to the US. I am good with the price, but want to make sure I am not getting scammed. Anyone with advise, please email me directly.

[email protected]

Thank You
Regards Brian

Be very very cautious, in the UK it's well known for a lot of scammers to choose locations such as Aberdeen due to the "remote" or less populated areas making more likely that people won't come to collect, therefore easier to scam!

If it were me I would want someone to see the goods first, sadly I don't think I could live much further away in the UK than where I do, so I'm out :thumbsdown:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi
I would consider it a scam, but if you want it looked at and collected I could assist.

Basically I live 10 minutes from Heathrow
It is about an hour and twenty flight to Aberdeen and about £90 for flights up and down next Saturday

Or about 8 hours drive each way!

Which I would consider fairly cheap insurance for this type of purchase.

I do know though that there are some people on here an awful lot closer!

Ian

Ian, you sir, should be Knighted! Rise Sir Anderson for being the doer of good deeds. Just the offer to do such a thing is more then comendable and certainly worth it to Brian. What a Gent.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Is the seller named "Pete S"????;)

I must say I thought the same.

An ad like this came up about 18 months back, but was Inverness
I was in contact till I aid we exchange e mails till I said an uncle would collect, immediately no more responses

Ian

Gents.

[email protected]

Thank You
Regards Brian

What kind of transaxle is it? I know my builder can get the 01E used really cheap and you could probably piggy back on a shipment across the pond to the US with the next shipment here.

If it's a Renault, then maybe (MAYBE) Tornado could help, etc.

If it were me though, I'd try to source one from someone in the US like Scott if it's a 01E.

What kind of transaxle is it? I know my builder can get the 01E used really cheap and you could probably piggy back on a shipment across the pond to the US with the next shipment here.

If it's a Renault, then maybe (MAYBE) Tornado could help, etc.

If it were me though, I'd try to source one from someone in the US like Scott if it's a 01E.

A ZF for 2.1k :worried2: http://aberdeen.craigslist.co.uk/ptd/4842001055.html

What could go wrong....

Mike Pass

Supporter
Ask them for the address where it can be viewed and when so you can send someone round to check it over for you. Then check the address on Google street view.
A ZF for that price? Not in this lifetime!
Cheers
Mike

If you are set on getting this trans, I would suggest setting up an Escrow account. An escrow account is one set up by a third party(escrow company) that holds the funds, not to be released to either party til both agree on its direction. That way you can't renig on him(the seller) and he can't get the funds til you receive the goods and have inspected it to be what is advertised. Any disputes are to be settled before any funds are released, because both parties have to agree if there is to be any refund etc.. Cost is not great and can be a life saver. That's how I got my 40 from Australia(private seller).

Bill

If you are set on getting this trans, I would suggest setting up an Escrow account. An escrow account is one set up by a third party(escrow company) that holds the funds, not to be released to either party til both agree on its direction. That way you can't renig on him(the seller) and he can't get the funds til you receive the goods and have inspected it to be what is advertised. Any disputes are to be settled before any funds are released, because both parties have to agree if there is to be any refund etc.. Cost is not great and can be a life saver. That's how I got my 40 from Australia(private seller).

Bill

+1

The only way to be safe unless you have someone here pick it up and ship it maybe.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
THANKS Gents.
It is another Ricardo transaxle. I have one new one that I bought from a member now. I dropped it off at RPM transmissions in December. There are 3 well know issues with the Ricardo. One of which is there was a problem with the laser welding on, I think second gear. I wanted to have this checked out before I used it. I also had the gears cryogenically treated, micro polished and the syncros hand fit. It is now done and ready to be shipped back to me. I was just looking for a spare, when I goggled it, this came up.

I ESPECIALLY want to thank Ian for his kind offer. I would be willing to offer $500.00US ( OR whatever someone needed )for someone to inspect it if the fellow ever comes thru with a address, (WHICH I DOUBT).

Here is some of the email from him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2015 at 5:59 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: FORD GT TRANSAXLE GEARBOX TRANSMISSION
Hello Alex

I am very much interested. I need to know the details for payment. I don't know if anybody on our forum is close enough to pay you or not. Can you fill me in on the details. I have Paypal available, but need to be sure we are both properly protected. If we can work this out, I will definitely take it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian, I don't use paypal anymore and I'm not interested to use this service ever

If you can do a bank wire transfer let me know. Otherwise I'm not interested to ship overseas

Regards

Alex

I am pretty sure it is a scam, but if not, I'd like a spare. The wire transfer pretty much assures it to me.
THANK YOU for confirming what I thought.

Kindest Regards
Brian

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have flagged this at Craigslist. I am how ever baiting him along. I am sure he will quit emailing me shortly. Here is the latest.

Alex

How does a bank wire transfer work. I have never done one before? My assumption is, I pay the bank a fee, and then they forward the money to your bank. I will be leaving for work in the next 30 minutes or so. I will try to get information on transfers when I get there.
Please let me know.

Thank You
Kindest Regards
Brian
Hi Brian,
Exactly, your bank will wire the money to my bank
If we have a deal send me your full shipping details and I will forward my bank infos
Regards
Alex
Hi Alex !

I found a fellow on our forum, that lives near Aberdeen. I have wired him the money, he will pick it up from you. He has a container coming to the states next week. He travels the UK constantly, so if it is away from Aberdeen, he is still willing to pick it up. Please provide a address to pick it up from, and a phone number, so he can contact you.
Looking forward to getting this. THANK YOU for offering this.

Kindest Regards
Brian

I have an idea he won't return a email.

THANKS GUYS !!!!!!!!
Kindest Regards
Brian

Attachments

• ricardo for sale.jpg
    ricardo for sale.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 370

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Here is the latest from Alex. It is hard to believe but he gave me a actual address.

Brian, talk to your contact and let me know when he can pick it up. I have a big interest for this transmission and I can't hold it for anyone.
My address is:
41, Maiden Street
Peterhead
Aberdeenshire
AB42 1EE
I'm available for a meeting tomorrow or tuesday all day
Thanks
Alex

Don't know what to think now. I Google Earthed it and it appears to be an actual address.

Regards Brian

Back