GT40 at Restoration Garage

I saw a GT40 in the background on the TV show "Restoration Garage" on the Velocity Channel.

Their shop is called The Guild located in Bradford Ontario Canada.

I contacted them and they said it was a Superformance.

-Bob Woods

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for checking on that and reporting back Bob....

I really like the work that they did on the Bugatti recreation...

Richard,

They didn't say, but I couldn't tell if it was a first-time build since the body panels were white, or if it was a rebuild. You can go to their website and ask a question. They answered quickly.

-Bob Woods

Hi Bob,
The gt 40 you saw in the back ground on the show was my CAV gt 40. They filmed it as part of the show but as things rolled along I pulled the car and refused to be on the show.
If you want the story about what really goes on at the guild PM me and I'll tell you.
Let's just say, what they say and what they do are two very different things.
If you go on their web site and look under past projects archive page 3 you will see it.

Carman

Their exact words were "it was a very good replica by Superformance". At least they got "very good" right.

Did you let them finish it or take it away? Was it a restoration or first build? I thought CAV's came as a finished rolling chassis.

-Bob Woods

Its a first build. I commissioned them to do the body work and paint only. After we agreed on a price i let them have at it. the tv stuff was fun, lots of interest by the producer and lots of show time for the car. As work proceeded I quickly realized they didn't have a guy who just does body. I visited almost every week and saw a different guy doing work on it. It dragged on and on and on. I finally could not take it anymore and asked for the car back. By the time I took the car the price rocketed 5 times the estimate. I had huge bills for Bondo work, not paint. The car still had major flaws in the body, panel lines misaligned etc.
I told them to not put a single clip of the car on the show as they misrepresented what they can do. I guess if your stupid or rich or both !!! You would be happy to let them try and try.
I guess they couldn't resist at least showing it in the back ground.

Carman

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I feel your pain... I have laid out over 10k for bodywork and am now doing it all myself in my own shop..
All I can say is that these are copies of race cars and none of them looked good up close and personal unless they had already undergone the kind of work I am putting into mine and others have paid dearly to have done to theirs.
In other words - they are just what we bought and paid for - copies of mid sixties bodies that were rough to begin with..

This is a screen capture from page 3 of their archives.
Is it your car?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 260
Bob,

Up until last year CAV would allow cars to come here not built. That changed but you still can have one built in Canada by Dwain Kremyr. He's the Canadian representative of CAV.

Carman

That's my car. Your $10k is just a drop in the bucket compaired to what I had to pay to get my car back. Add 4 more of those !!!!! They have a warehouse full of cars that they screwed out of people when they couldn't pay the bill.
It makes me sick just thinking about it. It set me back a year on the build because of them.

Carman

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I'd be seeking legal counsel if I were you....

Did you have a contract with them?

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Carman,

Please be careful what you alledge on the forum.
You never know, they may read this stuff.
I echo Randy's suggestion, get some legal counsel.
And good luck....

They wrote up a work order that stated cost could go up from the estimate if they found unforeseen issues. It's not an old rust bucket! I thought of legal action but I don't want to dish out more money for lawyers.
It's done and I've moved on with the build.

Carman

Carman I live near Newmarket I know of the guild. They repo cars for not paying bills. I have a good body guy and mechanic. If you need some one you can trust.

Back