HELP Looking for information on this orange Superformance GT40 SPF 2214

Hello guys! I need some help. I am looking for information on a particular car. It is an orange with white stripes Mk1 that was for sale in California. I have seen the car and have learned all I can from the seller but want to know the inside story/history/value of the car. I’m trying to do my due diligence and not make any mistake$

This forum provides a unique opportunity where a prospective buyer has access to this group of people that are dedicated to the care and feeding of these machines. You can really give a lot of insight to a member and help guide them to a purchase.

My story is that I am a new member (lurked for months before). I want a GT40. So far i'm thinking a SPF. Unfortunately I have a budget and want to be under 100k. I would love to custom order a car with the paint just the way I want and the motor just the way I want but unfortunately that's not in the cards right now. I was keying in on the Superformance because they can be added to the registry and it looks like the best for potential ease of resale/appreciation. But you can set me straight if I'm off on that. If my financial situation ever went sideways I want a car that has the broadest market and will be easiest to sell. I’m certainly open to other cars.

So give me a hand guys I certainly need help!

Signed your humble noob,

Pat Axtell

Feel free in contacting me by any means. As well as posting here.

Cell 808-349-6815 (call or text)
Email [email protected]

f1wannab-albums-gt40-s-picture1467-orange-superformance-mk1.jpg
[/IMG]

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I was keying in on the Superformance because ... it looks like the best for potential ease of resale/appreciation

Don't know about appreciation but they do hold their value. That and they are just the closest thing you can get to an original if that is what floats your boat.

I recall someone talking about Gelscoe cars being easily 300k plus if i'm not mistaken.
I think your right with your assessment Mike. I need a used SPF with a inexpensive motor/trans with a lot of miles on them. This car P2214 has a Ford Racing 347ci with ZF. I was told that they were transplanted from a CAV that the previous owner had and have 22k ish miles on them.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You should have left that Scott lol that was funny. I don't mind some jabbing lol.

Gelsoe will set you back a lot more than $300K.

I think the owner or previous owner of the orange car is on here.

Howard Jones

Supporter
First you should buy a car that you can justify within your budget. When I say that, I mean purchased with disposable income. NOT money you might need later to maintain your standard of living. Do not count on a sale of a car to pay your mortgage should it come to it. These cars are VERY valuable to a VERY small number of people.

Your hypothetical 100K GT40 might be worth that to as little as a few dozen people world wide at any given time, maybe and I say MAYBE, a third are in the market ready to buy within 30 days. That's what's called an illiquid asset because of the very small market. Emergency funds are typically cash or very short term treasury bills and can be immediately spent.

So IMHO when it comes to a replica GT40, you can't count on a quick sale to raise money. Buy the way, if people get wind of your predicament you will get bids at HALF of what you want to sell it for. The people who have done well on sales have been those who were in no hurry to sell and would keep the car if a reasonable bid didn't emerge.

If I sold mine I would be willing to wait a year or more for the right buyer and it wouldn't only be about price .

Now having said that, I do really think that these cars when done to an appropriate standard have the potential to be a free hobby. If you do nearly all the labor and the car is put together right with quality parts I think you can expect to sell the car 5-8 years later for the sum of the parts. This means you have enjoyed your hobby for a rather long time and been able to sell the toy for a net wash as far as cost. That's a pretty cool deal IMHO.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Now having said that, I do really think that these cars when done to an appropriate standard have the potential to be a free hobby. If you do nearly all the labor and the car is put together right with quality parts I think you can expect to sell the car 5-8 years later for the sum of the parts. This means you have enjoyed your hobby for a rather long time and been able to sell the toy for a net wash as far as cost. That's a pretty cool deal IMHO.

I fear that won't hold true for those that have sank another $60K maybe $80K into things just because... Oh well. You buy these cars because you love them. If A/C is high on your want list then buy a Corvette ;)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I don't believe that 2214 is available at 100K. When consigned at the Superformance display at Barrett-Jackson 2014 the asking price was 149K if I recall correctly.

A very nice car but the Lambo orange color is a factor in resale.

Ok Mike, Now I get it. I'm a little slow. Randy was taking a shot at you for not mentioning RCR's and not really recomending that I look into Gelscoe. But I still don't know who Scott is.

Howard. Thanks for your in site. i'm not spending milk/mortgage money on this toy, but I just like to have an exit plan for my expensive things if need be. I've been a professional salesperson for along time selling high end vehicles(past) and real estate(current) i'm well versed in supply/demand and fire sales. That's one reason I want to also consider into my purchase what car is the most popular and has the greatest market out there for it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ok Mike, Now I get it. I'm a little slow. Randy was taking a shot at you for not mentioning RCR's and not really recomending that I look into Gelscoe. But I still don't know who Scott is.

Ummmm.... No. I did mention Gelscoe because it is closer to the real thing than is the Superformance. RCR never entered into the equation as it's chassis is a vast departure from the originals.
I don't get the "Scott" reference either..

Ok Randy I get it now.
I unfortunately don't have any extra organs I can sell so a Gelscoe is not in my future LOL. A Superformance may not be either unless I can find the right car/dealer/deal. I was seriously considering an RCR. I love the engineering of the chassis/suspension ect. My problems are this. I believe I have the capability of finishing one, but knowing myself this could be a multi year garage nightmare. Seeing the problems that some have had with the bodies really scares me. So there is an alternative. Have Fran build me a turn key minus car. If I could get one of those for 80ish by the time I have a good motor/trans in it I am quite a ways over 100k. I have never seen a RCR sell for over a 100k. I refuse to be upside down in this purchase. I need to pay market value for something. Example, there is little chance I could build a car as well as Dean Lampe's RCR and I think his went for less than 100k.

Nah, don't think you were ever likely to get it!, Mike was having a dig @ Scott for a comment he made on another thread -GT40 side impact protection- I think, soo unless you have psychic ability (like Me:) ) you can be forgiven for being confused. Have you read Randy's build thread for an idea of the amount of work you may have in front of you if you go down that route.

Jac Mac,
I thought the moon eyes avatar looked familier. I just went and looked at Randy's TWO build logs AGAIN. A month or so ago, after deciding that building a RCR was what I was going to do. I spent many hours (my wife said a whole weekend ignoring her) going thru the build logs. I remember it was a Sunday night I was sitting on the couch next to my wife. My 16 year old son was sitting on another couch within ear shot. I had just went thru Randy's first build log on the laptop sitting on my lap. I shut the lid and with a defeated tone said to my family "that's it! there's no way I'm going to try to built on of those RCR's. People with huuuuge build experience are having massssive trouble building these cars there's just no way. I just can't do it!" I stomped upstaires and went to sleep. My RCR dreams went up in flames. LOL

You should have left that Scott lol that was funny. I don't mind some jabbing lol.

Gelsoe will set you back a lot more than $300K.

I think the owner or previous owner of the orange car is on here.

Recently, in the UK, there was a Gelscoe priced at £300k ($450k) with FIA papers.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Pat / guys --- my build log shows more about my frustration with bodywork than anything.. Initially, my car was in storage for a couple of months without any support for the spider. This allowed the spider to sag and warp. Anyone who has built one of these cars knows that the entire body is "dialed in" on the spider. If the spider is wrong, the car will be a nightmare. Guess what!
The rest of it is in originality. The molds my car's body panels were produced from were from an original (number 1008 I am told). Yes there are a number of symmetry differences, but I believe those same differences were on the original. That doesn't mean I have to like it though. Then there are the changes I have made to straighten out the symmetry differences and also to make all of the scoops functional, door boxes, tilt front clip, perfect shut lines, etc.
The side impact protection is something that you'd be wise to look into regardless of the mfgr of your car. This might be a point also in favor of the SPF as they may have this in all cars. The originals had none.
Bottom line is that you pretty much get what you pay for and are willing to invest your time in.
SPF builds a nice car - but many here have spent tens of thousands of dollars with Olthoff and others to finish the job that SPF started - or they have spend substantial time doing it themselves..
Pat does not want to be in a position to be upside down in his GT from an investment perspective. I wish him all the luck in the world because honestly - I know of no one here that is NOT upside down.
---
With that - I am headed back out to my shop where I will continue the journey with my GT40..

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Nah, don't think you were ever likely to get it!, Mike was having a dig @ Scott for a comment he made on another thread -GT40 side impact protection- I think, soo unless you have psychic ability (like Me:) ) you can be forgiven for being confused. Have you read Randy's build thread for an idea of the amount of work you may have in front of you if you go down that route.
Right. Wrong thread sorry.

Back