quick purchase advice/opinions

I'm about to buy this body for like 500 bucks.. needs some fiberglass work .. I don't know anything about it. I plan to build up a modest gt40 replica when i get time/money. I feel like this offer won't come around again. Let me know what you think. Please avoid warning me of getting in over my head, I know i'm an idiot for pursuing this.

Attachments

• 00b0b_1Q1ybubo7Pw_600x450.jpg
    00b0b_1Q1ybubo7Pw_600x450.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 309
  • 00F0F_5zSzYBLf0Qc_600x450.jpg
    00F0F_5zSzYBLf0Qc_600x450.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 00Q0Q_85jewz25YL5_600x450.jpg
    00Q0Q_85jewz25YL5_600x450.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 258

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I would say it is a Fiberfab
Fits on a VW Beetle floorpan if I am not mistaken
USD500 would be fair but you are leaving yourself open to a lot of work for a car that is not sized correctly

Ian

Hmmmm....many years ago....70's...there was this company I believe it was "Fiberfab"...may want to search this. I remember ithis body was designed to fit over a VW chaise... chevy corvair air cooled motor was used. My 2 cents.
Charles

So next to an actual gt40 or worthy replica, these specs will be way off? i kind of planned on making a mostly tube frame (rally racing background-wanna cage everything) .. and thank you for your input i'll get to researching

The nose is not Fiber Fab. I have a Fiber Fab GT40 sitting in the weeds on the side of the house. The spider and tail look similar.

My thinking is unless you are very good with building in fiberglass this would be a very time consuming project and still not get you exactly what you want. Save your pennies and wait for someone bailing on one of the kits.

RT

Pat

Supporter
Measure it and see if it will fit on a VW chassis and check availability of those in your area. If so then look and see if there is a rally class where a VW based cars can be competitive and a kit such as this would be legal. If all that comes to pass, offer $100, be willing to pay $250 and clear out the garage as it's going to be a multi-year project. If this is your first project of this magnitude, tell the wife it's a permanent addition.

I also think it's a Kellison/T3.

Have a look at this. I wonder how it turned out.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40s-wanted-parts-services-needed/26406-looking-kellison-style-gt40.html

Thanks for the input and resources. No wife. thank god. and I have never seen a gt40 project body on the east coast for sale so cheap. My plan is to buy this for chump change and build it when i get finished with my current project. I only plan for this to be a street car.. just saying i have a dirt rally background, so i'll want to tube frame up everything. And I know the project would be over a few years, 10 being my conservative estimate. Also, I feel like if anything, it would be good practice before i got my hands on a nicer gt40 kit.

Back