Elise / Vauxhall 220

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

Saw this on e bay and thought I should post here
Anyone know about how hp this project?
Ford GT40 Replica | eBay

It has nothing to do with me

I thought the seat squab looked a bit high and would put my head way above roof line

Is the Elise the same sort of wheelbase and dimensions as a GT40?

Ian

Don't know about the dimensions, but certainly interesting as effectively only a re-skin, which I believe only requires a document change rather than full IVA?

Google working whilst I was typing. It appears the Elise vs GT 66 spec

Wheelbase: 90.6" vs 95"
Front Track: 56.7 vs 57 (superformance has 56)
Rear Track: 57.2 vs 56 (superformance 59)

So it would not be too far off for someone creating a replica (except the dash). Though I question being able to do the V8 transplant later on. It might be very tight!!

Edit: Also, the Elise is 7" higher, so your seat squab comment is probably justified. Unless they have modified that spider to reduce the height, it probably would be noticeable against one of bespoke replicas, but on it's own many people of the general public would not probably notice.

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Triton, i bought the ebay vx220/gt project off ebay (for my sins) What the guy has done is pure genius, to make a one piece central spider tub to bond to a vx 220, with intergral sill pannels. he did it using an old central spider and sills and moded it to fit, then made the mould to replace the mock up. I have bought the mould too. Its a lookie like i know, but when finished should be fun to drive, and turn a few heads for the price of a Cat d vx220 and body panels. The central tub will accomodate doors front and back clams from the usual contenders. I will post some in deapth details and photos once i have my head around the project. I think its the most genius non gt40, gt40 replica around today. It makes me smile at least
dont be too hard on the poor vx40

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Nigel

It certainly looked like a very interesting project

Please keep us updated with your progress

Ian

Nigel,
Not being hard at all. Like you I think it is very clever! Will be interesting to see the final product. Where are you in France?

Brett

i'm near limoges, i've lived here for 11 years now.
The project is way cool, i've just seen the full centre tub mould assembled with lower sills attached and to fit vx220/40 for the first time, it looks well!!! I cant comment on dimensions untill its here, but will let you know as soon as. He thinks the clams came from an abandoned tornado kit from a while back, but could also be KVA.

NT

Hi guys here is a photo of the 1 piece bodytub/sills mould

vx 220 wheelbase 91.7inch, so a bit closer than an elise

more info as soon as i get to grips with it

Nigel

Attachments

• gt40 mould.JPG
    gt40 mould.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 435
wow, it is a great idea. simply reskin the elise with this body is genial.
How is it going with the build up? really curious about this.

Btw, I love the elise, specially mk1. she gave me some of the nicest drive experience ever.

Back