Anyone Know SPF 2202?

I remember a post about him racing a Ford GT. here is a link to a video he posted. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5wSMevGr0[/ame]
It's been for sale since 2011. Use to be painted in Gulf colors that you can see in the video, which was incorrect for a MKII.

Last edited:
I remember a post about him racing a Ford GT. here is a link to a video he posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5wSMevGr0
It's been for sale since 2011. Use to be painted in Gulf colors that you can see in the video, which was incorrect for a MKII.

A couple of corrections:

1) It has not been for sale since 2011. It has had 2 owners since then - won't disclose their names.

2) Your statement that Gulf colors are incorrect for MKII is incorrect. This car mirroring Ken Miles car in the 1966 24hrs of Lemans... right down to the bronze wheels. See below:
Top Gear's Adam Ferarra Drives A Real $8 Million Ford GT40 Tonight

Sorry, I stand corrected. I didn't realize it passed through a few hands since 2011. It use to be Gulf colors with Orange wheels with the #7 on the side. One of its newer owners must have changed it to the #1 car of Ken Miles. Good choice to do so. Ken Miles car did not wear Gulf colors.

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You do realize that this is a GT40 site and most if not all have a fairly deep knowledge of GT40 history? There was never an original MKII done in Gulf Racing livery. The 2202 car at one time was done in the Gulf livery but looks like they re-did it to the 66 LM 1015 livery. The colors seem off but its still a nice looking car. Was privileged to see that car at the Miller museum in Boulder a couple years back.

CH 1015

Thanks for the link Mike, those pictures are great...As for 2202, it looks like someone refinished the Orange rims in Gold, kept the Gulf Blue(if repainted they didn't match it to the original well) color but removed the Orange center stripes and applied White stripes and White roundels with the number 1. It still has Orange front fender stripes that should be Red. This is comparing to Mike's pictures of the original. I'll bet the change was made for resale purposes and they were trying to make the change without doing a complete redo with all the added expense. Still looks nice though and could be made correct with a repaint or drive it as is.

Last edited:
You do realize that this is a GT40 site and most if not all have a fairly deep knowledge of GT40 history? There was never an original MKII done in Gulf Racing livery. The 2202 car at one time was done in the Gulf livery but looks like they re-did it to the 66 LM 1015 livery. The colors seem off but its still a nice looking car. Was privileged to see that car at the Miller museum in Boulder a couple years back.

CH 1015

Yes I did realize that - which is why I asked ;-). I didn't know if he was aware of its current configuration. I have pics of it before and after.

Btw, I noticed it was a brighter blue and not the sky blue pastey color. Hmm. It actually looks more striking this way...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 426

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The original 1015 was painted in Arcadian blue with "pace car" white stripes (while many cars used Wimbledon White, "Pace Car" white was a special Mustang color used on the cars that were at the 64 Indy 500) plus the DayGlo red flashes on the front wings that helped I.D. the car to the LeMans signaling pits as a GT40 Mk I entered was light blue and could be confused with 1015.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think 2202 has been around too...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aL5UZuD33DA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
I believe the car is currently at the museum at Miller Motorsports Park just outside of Salt Lake City. I saw it there about a year ago. A fantastic museum for GT40s and Cobras.

Attachments

• GT40s.jpg
    GT40s.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 363

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Which car was that Rick?

The Comstock Racing MK I was light blue and was too close in appearance for the signaling pits to differentiate, so they added the DayGlo red flashes on the wings of the SAI MK II.

Attachments

• comstock.jpg
    comstock.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Hi guys,

If it could help I've painted mine (GT40P/2193) in Gulf colors (small lines between orange and light blue are in dark Gulf blue).

GT40 Mk II - Gulf - THD - modif - sml.jpg

GT40 3qt Rear.JPG

OliveR

Rick is correct about the color being Arcadia blue. That was a FORD color offered in their car line up during the time. I love the color myself.

Attachments

• 1966.jpg
    1966.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 273
  • ALIM0303.jpg
    ALIM0303.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 254
  • rearboxs.jpg
    rearboxs.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 655
  • 100_0322.jpg
    100_0322.jpg