New Zealand/Australia Classic Developements Mk1

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Dave Brown's work. Hope those girls are still around when mine is finished...

That's Aussie motor sport legend John Goss sitting in the car; winner of the Australian Grand Prix (Matich F5000) and Bathurst (2-Door Falcon).

Jac Mac, that is one of the best 40's I've ever seen, recreation or not. Thanks a stack for posting these pics.

Not to throw a curve at your thread but on another thread there has been some debate about the SPF originality (tool room copy?) versus other makes (CAV, RCR, Tornado, RF to name a few) so where does this car fit into the equation in your opinion?

I recall prior to my purchase of my CAV seeing some stunning GT40's being advertised for sale in Aus & NZ for BIG money but no where near "original" money. It told me pretty quickly these fabulous cars have a HUGE range of "value."

This car is of Gelscoe quality by the looks of things but what sort of value would be placed on a car like this. I would think anyone would love to own a 40 of this quality but just how much one might be willing to pay for it is the question. Valuations of the GT 40 is so subjective which is why I'm so fascinated about values placed on these cars by owners and company's selling them.

Thanks again.

Jac Mac, that is one of the best 40's I've ever seen, recreation or not. Thanks a stack for posting these pics.

Not to throw a curve at your thread but on another thread there has been some debate about the SPF originality (tool room copy?) versus other makes (CAV, RCR, Tornado, RF to name a few) so where does this car fit into the equation in your opinion?
I would put this car or any of Davids CD recent cars in with Gelscoe- Mirage / Jimmy Mac, Gox as being more original, then SPF followed by CAV/ERA, Then Tornado/RCR/ RF/ DRB/Southern/etc, that's simply an observation from a fairly wide interest on this forum and with no actual hands on viewing of overseas stuff.

I recall prior to my purchase of my CAV seeing some stunning GT40's being advertised for sale in Aus & NZ for BIG money but no where near "original" money. It told me pretty quickly these fabulous cars have a HUGE range of "value."
That's a fair observation, but as all are literally hand built both in the factory environment a well as by the builder each car should be judged and priced individually.

This car is of Gelscoe quality by the looks of things but what sort of value would be placed on a car like this. I would think anyone would love to own a 40 of this quality but just how much one might be willing to pay for it is the question. Valuations of the GT 40 is so subjective which is why I'm so fascinated about values placed on these cars by owners and company's selling them.
That's the 60 million $$ question and I don't have the answer, The FIA passport is worth a lot to those that need it, is not worth 2cents to me.
I am sure if you were to visit any of these places where the cars are built you would appreciate the amount of research and work going into them and that would quickly help you decide whether you had the ability to carry out the final detail work yourself or find the $$ to have it done for you. At a guess with Davids CD cars I would suggest that the final cost is a reflection of the actual work, plus the time spent researching/gathering parts and materials and how much if any you are able contribute to that parts/materials list. EG if you have gathered a stash of old 289's, ZF's/RBT's, Halibrands, mirrors, switchs, lights, etc over the years you would reduce the work load for him and cost for you in a big way.

Thanks again.

Hi Jimmy,
Thoughts as above. Not really an easy question to ask me since I have never set eyes on real cars from most above. I have known Dave Brown since we raced in the 60's at club level as teenagers. He has been and still is very particular in the detail elements of the cars he builds- when visiting him once he mentioned that most of his time seemed to be spent building tools or fixtures to make the parts he requires! The very first car had a f/glass spyder, but others have become more and more 'original' as time has passed and he has gathered equipment to allow this. He had this car on display at SFOS a few years ago and I mentioned the choice of 'Cooper' tires, they were the only 'road' legal sizes that fit the period and 'look' that were available, I remember thinking at the time if a set of tire molds came up for sale of the correct type/size etc that there might be a market for them:)

Jac Mac

Last edited:
Jac Mac, thanks for you input, I value it a lot. The car shown reflects stunning dedication, diligence and respect and I'd give my left nut to own it. Really! Should you come across Mr. Brown in your travels please tell him he is a craftsman of the highest esteem and order. Absolutely a phenomenal piece of engineering magnificence.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Great car and some 'useful' photos which will help me sort my chassis. Thanks for sharing.

One thing which did catch my eye is this...

Look at the angle of the metelastic coupling..... the bushing to rear drive shaft is out of line with the gearbox to bushing. Is this because the wheels are off the ground?? I would think they wont last long at that offset.

Andy

Attachments

• metelastic.bmp
    414.6 KB · Views: 247

Brian Stewart
Supporter
I suspect it is because the wheels are off the ground Andy. These pics I took of the car under construction and just after it was finished do not show that same amount of droop.

Attachments

• IMG_6809.jpeg
    IMG_6809.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_7895 copy.jpeg
    IMG_7895 copy.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 240
Back