Pros/Cons

I am in the planning phase of this project. I would like to do as much of the work as possible by myself (except for maybe the body and paint). Please share your thoughts to advantages/disadvantages of Tornado, CAV, or RCR. Any others I need to look at? I just finished with a Factory Five Racing Cobra and I'm a mechanical engineer so the build doesn't scare me. However, I am looking for originality. Here is a You Tube link to my Cobra build. Thanks in advance. http://youtu.be/K5qeMBxMbwM

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The search field is your friend. There have been many, many threads for this subject. Each and every one of them have their merits, and those are discussed in those threads.

Regards Brian

Arvin,
Your car turned out great. Nice work.
Like Brian said, use the search feature and spend a bunch of time on the build threads. Pretty much any question you will have will be answered here somewhere.

Lots of the cobra guys build a 40 for their next project.

Thanks for the responses. My budget is about $100k. Is that reasonable? I want to do the work. That is why I built a Factory a Five Cobra instead of buying a Superformance. The type if info I'm looking for is brand x only comes as a roller, brand y does not have the parts you need, brand z does not have monocoque chassis like original, brand a leaks water and falls apart, etc. what little I can gather it looks like I can build a RCR, CAV, Tornado. True?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If you want originality then buy a Superformance, tear it down and rebuild it yourself. It will cost more than $100k and be a bit of work but you'll end up with exactly what you're after.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You're right Walt, they don't "need" to be but Arvin states he wants originality and to build it himself. After building your GT40, are there any suggestions you can offer?

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
If you want originality then buy a Superformance, tear it down and rebuild it yourself............

Bought my Tornado as a street registered running car, some 13 years ago, it is now on it's second 'frame off build' :lol: Three years of my SPF ownership has seen partial reassembly.......does it ever end? So Mike's suggestion isn't as ridiculous as it sounds, you'll be "building" the car from what ever stage you start with.

Keep the Cobra in the garage while building the '40 so you have something to drive because those month long strecthes when it seems like no progress is being made will send you to the nut house if you don't have something else to rip around in and fantasize you're in your completed '40 :thumbsup:

Your F5 looks great!

Arvin is that Pine View Res in the background? I used to live in Ogden in the '80s and worked at Powder Mountain. Loved the area.

I have a RCR40 that I'm building and love the aluminum tub; and you can make it look as original as any if you like. I'd advise you to spend time on the various build sites.

Also you may want to visit RCR and talk to Fran about what you want as far as build stage. He can do almost any level of completion you want. Setting the spider and body work might take you as long as your entire cobra build!!

Arvin, your cobra looks great!!!! Bring it to the Texas Cobra meet in San Marcos TX. in April. Also there are going to be GT-40's attending.
Charles

That is plenty Alvin.

My choice for the next build is an RCR. First off you get a pretty clear picture before the build how much it cost you.
The only thing is, you have to have patience and time with Fran.

There are plenty of good build threats on here to mentally prepare you for the job.

J. Salmon RCR-40 Build - GT40s.com
Rcr 40-31 - GT40s.com
Chuck and Ryan's RCR Build - GT40s.com
Toms RCR 40 Trackracer - GT40s.com
Jason's Coyote Powered RCR40 Downunder - GT40s.com
Jim's RCR Build - GT40s.com
http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=L534 Jonathans RCR 40 Build - GT40s.com
RCR Chassis #14 Ron McCall - GT40s.com
Allan's RCR40 Build - GT40s.com Dutton's RCR40 Build Thread - GT40s.com Rob's RCR40 Build - GT40s.com
Mark Reid RCR-40 Build - GT40s.com
Sandy's RCR40 Gulf Chassis #11 - GT40s.com
Dean's new RCR40 build thread - GT40s.com

Accurate lines? They are good enough for me. From 1000 onlookers you WILL have only 2 guys they know what they looking at. Others just repeat what they read on the internet.
Matter of fact every GT40 looks a little different than the other. Besides that not one of the originals have the same door/front-rear clamp gaps.

I took the order list of RCR and compared the standard with the deluxe plus kit.
Dollar by dollar you cant beat the deluxe kit it cost you $4.3k more to buy the parts separately, because you don't get Fran's discounts.
I will go with the deluxe plus MK1. I build my engine (351), do my own body work and paint.
Painting is not that hard - you just need the right equipment and instructions.

Hope this helps.

Anyhow, no matter which route you go - please do a build thread here and we will cheer you up. Good luck!

Oh, before I forget. Take a close look at Tom's (RIP) build. His build sequence is perfect. First body work, then anything else. This is one of the best if not the best build out there.
No sanding dust on new parts --- way less messy.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Peter,

Quote :
' There are plenty of good build threats on here to mentally prepare you for the job .

I didn't know Mercans did irony...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Bought my Tornado as a street registered running car, some 13 years ago, it is now on it's second 'frame off build' :lol: Three years of my SPF ownership has seen partial reassembly.......does it ever end? So Mike's suggestion isn't as ridiculous as it sounds, you'll be "building" the car from what ever stage you start with

It only seems ridiculous to those that don't have one to begin with :D

Arvin, decide early on how much originality means to you. It will limit your choices significantly.

I am not looking for a perfect match - would like to do something that looks good - not like something someone would build from a VW. Plan on having about 600hp. What transaxle would be good for that? Budget looks something like this: RCR Deluxe kit (or similar) - $42, shipping - $2, paint - $12, tires - $1.2, wheels -$3.5, transaxle - $8, engine - $20, clutch etc - $3, misc - $8. What am I missing? Like reasonable? Oh ya - decals -$2. Maybe battery, starter, alternator, fuel pumps. For the motor I bought a Keith Craft for my Cobra (408) so I'll do the same except bore the 351W all the way to a 427. Put in a descent cam (?), Gurney valve covers, MSD ignition, coil, distributor, Inglese 8-stack fuel injection. Went with the FAST EFI in the Cobra and love it. I've got 525 hp in my Cobra so I think with a few tweaks here and there I can get 600hp looking at doing the Gulf Livery car so I'll go with the 4" width for the rear end. If I go with the 17" wheels with 8" in front and 12" in back what size tires are recommended. On my 10.5" rear I the Cibra I have 315's. Alit if questions I know but I'm the type who goes into something perfectly laid out.

Reason I'm leaning to the RCR is that it's in the states, aluminum monocoque which I will either powder coat with clear with a slight brush finish (once again like the aluminum on the Cobra) or treat with shark hide - most likely powder coat

Your F5 looks great!

Arvin is that Pine View Res in the background? I used to live in Ogden in the '80s and worked at Powder Mountain. Loved the area.

I have a RCR40 that I'm building and love the aluminum tub; and you can make it look as original as any if you like. I'd advise you to spend time on the various build sites.

Also you may want to visit RCR and talk to Fran about what you want as far as build stage. He can do almost any level of completion you want. Setting the spider and body work might take you as long as your entire cobra build!!

You are right on - Pineview.

Here is a link to my photobucket account with my cobra build photos.

1965 Cobra Build by cobraarvin | Photobucket

Back