WHICH GT40 to buy???

Hello! New here to the group.

I currently have a BDR Cobra.

VINTAGE Motorsports Photo Gallery - Backdraft #1445

I am looking to buy a GT40. If you looked at my pics, you will see that I have a Coyote motor... very happy with this choice as my 1st Cobra was a carbed small block.

I will likely buy a 2005 -2006 motor and ZF transmission from a salvaged FORD GT for my motor and trans axle.

The question is which company GT replica company to go with. I am more app to buy a roller and send the motor to location for assembly so recommendations of where to accomplish outside of the roller companies that do would be great.

If you suggest one, please explain why... OPINIONS... yes there will be a number of them... Give that and or your experiences... NO need to start a pissing match like on have seen on the Cobra site when similar questions are posed.

HOPE YOU ALL CAN HELP OUT... IF YOU HAVE GT40 AND WILL BE AT THE 2016 TEXAS RALLY, SURE WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOURS IN DETAIL AND PERHAPS HAVE YOU TAKE ME FOR A SPIN!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEARS!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES!!!

CHEERS
:bandana:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Ford GT's have Ricardo's and not ZF's. With your desired choice for powertrain you should check out the RCR FGT.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The 05-06 Ford GT does NOT use the ZF transaxle but rather the Riccardo six speed which is much larger/longer than the ZF. And that is before you try to fit the 5.4 quadcam into an accurate sized GT40.

I think RCR may be able to support this powertrain, call Fran and talk to him. I know that to fit this in a Superformance (i.e. original type GT40) will require a big hammer and gas ax...................

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I will likely buy a 2005 -2006 motor and ZF transmission from a salvaged FORD GT for my motor and trans axle.

As others have already mentioned, the FGT uses a Ricardo 6-speed (larger and heavier). The FGT's 5.4 engine is about a mile wider (and heavier) than logic dictates one will be able to 'shoehorn' into a GT40.

You didn't mention which GT 40 you're interested in...the MK I or the MK II. There's a bit more room in a MK II's engine compartment vertically, but, that's about it. And the combo of the 5.4 and the Ricardo would exceed the original suspension design/engineering/parameters of either car IMHO (waaaaay too much rear weight bias).

As the guys above have suggested, give Fran at RCR a call. Unlike ME - he K-N-O-W-S what he's talking about! :D

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours as well, sir! :thumbsup:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Do not use a Ricardo! They are VERY VERY VERY limited on parts. Almost to the point that you just can't fix them. IMHO when it's all said and done the G50 -01-03 Porsche GRBX's are the best choice. MANY MANY people work on them and there are plenty of parts and will be for a very long time.

The G50-52's will take as much power as a ZF but are just about as expensive as well as rare. The G50-01-03 are basically the same box as the G50-52 with a smaller ring and pinion size but they will still handle 500ish HP. Then there are the newer Porsche types as are being used in the modern GT3 Porsches. Probably the best choice but they are a little long for a GT40.

My dream power train for a GT40 is a built Porsche box, Quaife TBD with a 450 HP 8 stack FI 331 SBF. About 15K$ for the pw train, 10K for the motor and another 5K for the injection.

Round figures...........30K$ for the works

Thanks for all the responses thus far!!

Good Stuff!

Spoke with Fran! He is the man with the plan! Lots of options for rear-ends and they have a NEW wide body that will accommodate either the 5.4 or a Alumunator S/C set-up

I am not apposed of going with 8 stack with EFI or Carbed EFI. Does anyone any experience with these? On the Coyote, I achieve 23-25mpg @ 75-80 mph turning 2750 rpm's. We like taking long day trips! Set is is a Tremec 600 matted to 3.91 rear on the Coyote with a Lund tune. Hard to beat!!

Thanks. BTW is the a chart out there that compares all the BODIES features and benefits side by side?

Again, Thanks!

Like Peter mentioned, it's a good bit of work to fit a Coyote into one of these but I've done it using the stock slant and not the modified one that Tornado uses (they angle the thing up...which is fine too). It does require custom made mounts and headers too. Eric at KitCarChassis can help you out there as he did the mounts and helped me fabricate the headers.

If it were me though, I'd give RCR a long look and go that route here in the US. Fran's product is very good. I haven't seen a Tornado with the Coyote in person, but the regular built one Dr. Bob has is very well made as well.

Whatever you go with, feel free to ask me any Coyote related questions you want. I've put a bit of time into researching the thing for use in our cars.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Just to make things clear our engine and gearbox is NOT inclined.

The Coyote engine is much wider and the inner wheel arch mouldings are re positioned to clear the headers.

Our Coyote chassis is specially adapted and features many changes for the Coyote including engine bay, suspension pick ups and rear bulkhead.

We also have all of the other parts required to complete the installation including modified throttle pedal, engine mountings, alternator kit, exhaust system with CATs, water pipe cooling kit, bellhousing, clutch, starter and A/C kit etc.

We also have a version to suit the Ricardo gearbox.

Thanks

Andy

I was referring to the angle of the seat against the rear bulkhead. I understand that your engine and transaxle are not inclined.

Having the mounts and headers would have saved me a lot of time for sure BTW.

Back