What kit is this one?

Howard Jones

Supporter
Lone star............I knew they made Cobras but I didn't know about GT40s. There couldn't have been many produced.

Anybody here have one currently?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I made a special trip to the Lone Star factory to look at their 40 kit...it has been quite a few years ago (8 or more), but when I got to the factory it was difficult to find anyone there. After wandering around for a while I was greeted by someone who told me they did not have any in stock, but an employee had one in a trailer on the property. All I could see was a rear window with an air cleaner sticking up and nobody had a key to move it out of the trailer so I could see it better. Needless to say, I was less than impressed!!!

After that the company changed hands and their 40 product offering changed to a kit designed to use a Ford Focus (I think) transverse 4-cylinder engine and transaxle.

While the one 40 I saw in the trailer looked much like most 40 kits we see, obviously using a mid-engined SBF/transaxle. I have not seen one of the transverse Focus models yet.

I do remember thinking that if V-8 Archie still made a 40 model the Fiero-based option looked more promising :idea:

Cheers!!!

Doug

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
The description identifies the use of a ZF trans like was used in 930 Porsche. I did not know that, learn something new every day!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I made a special trip to the Lone Star factory to look at their 40 kit...it has been quite a few years ago (8 or more), but when I got to the factory it was difficult to find anyone there. After wandering around for a while I was greeted by someone who told me they did not have any in stock, but an employee had one in a trailer on the property. All I could see was a rear window with an air cleaner sticking up and nobody had a key to move it out of the trailer so I could see it better. Needless to say, I was less than impressed!!!

After that the company changed hands and their 40 product offering changed to a kit designed to use a Ford Focus (I think) transverse 4-cylinder engine and transaxle.

While the one 40 I saw in the trailer looked much like most 40 kits we see, obviously using a mid-engined SBF/transaxle. I have not seen one of the transverse Focus models yet.

I do remember thinking that if V-8 Archie still made a 40 model the Fiero-based option looked more promising :idea:

Cheers!!!

Doug

Doug - you have a great memory.. It was based on the Ford Focus cradle / engine-trans. Also, the rear clip would not open, the only access to the engine was through the back window.. Yes the V8 Archie kit would be a huge step up!

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think that the chassis (wheelbase) is longer than normal. It appears at the spider width at the bottom between the door and the rear clip. About 2 inch's longer than my GTD in the middle, and the at rear clip behind the wheel arch, another 2 inches. It may as well be a bit taller but it's hard to tell.

I think I remember that the lone star cobra's claim to fame was the lengthened foot box and resulting longer chassis. Maybe they took that business model and applied it to their GT40 kit.

It doesn't look BAD just different. Not something I would seek out but OK for a really tall guy I guess.

However the price I can't justify, but that's just my opinion.

This was the 'original' Lone Star, the car that is subject of Howards post is a modified GT40 by comparision.

Attachments

• 10882297_770548633025868_4607631356806031941_n.jpg
    10882297_770548633025868_4607631356806031941_n.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 392

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
This was the 'original' Lone Star, the car that is subject of Howards post is a modified GT40 by comparision.

Jac Mac's post is the original "Lone Star" prototype built for Shelby.....it was intended to be the replacement for the 427 Cobra! Only one was built and it still exists. Featured a Ford small block driving through a ZF......Hmmm, sounds conceptually like a certain Italian creation that followed a couple of years later?

Back