Gox gt40

There is a GOX GT40 rolling chassi for sale in Sweden.
Is it something to buy ?
Iv read some treads here that arnt to positive.

Thanks

Can you post a link to the advert, there are two basic forms of the GOX cars, Space Frame & Mono. From the little we have seen on this forum via 'Bune's build thread it will come down to the individual building the car mainly... only thing I recall was a batch of front upright castings that were of poor quality.

Can you post a link to the advert, there are two basic forms of the GOX cars, Space Frame & Mono. From the little we have seen on this forum via 'Bune's build thread it will come down to the individual building the car mainly... only thing I recall was a batch of front upright castings that were of poor quality.

I prefer not to, if someone beats me to it ;)
Its a spaceframe.
The front uprights castings wasnt of poor quality, as i understand. It was the Swedish regulations that didnt allow them to be in aluminum. So with this car there is an extra pair in steel.
The price is about €26 000, with a 348 V8 and a G50.
Thanks

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
There is a GOX GT40 rolling chassi for sale in Sweden.
Is it something to buy ?
Iv read some treads here that arnt to positive.

Thanks

Its a spaceframe.
The front uprights castings wasnt of poor quality, as i understand. It was the Swedish regulations that didnt allow them to be in aluminum. So with this car there is an extra pair in steel.
Thanks

You've asked for advice and given little information to go on.
Good luck in your quest!

Its a spaceframe.
Thanks

Pretty sure the post made by one of the Gox spaceframe builders on this site was being less than complimentary about the quality of alloy upright castings at the time ( might even be the current owner of the car your looking at in which case you could check his build thread... if we only knew who it was:idea:), However if thems the regs then that is what you need to do... guess if that is the case then there wont be any BMW's, late model Corvettes, Mazda RX7 or any RCR kit cars on swedish roads either... sounds like heaven:)

Hi,

this text is from SFRO's site regarding GOX alloy uprights. These will never be approved for general use on road

SFRO said:
Notification of defects in aluminum spindles / uprights delivered by GOX Technology
This letter comes to serious concerns in the design and construction of the cast spiders (uprights) of aluminum GOX markets to the GT40. The specimens SFRO assessed in connection with SFRO-inspection shows serious problems.
The details have been several signs of lack of control of the casting process. There are pores, sink marks and other imperfections that affect strength.
In addition to these problems, it is also unclear what material detail really made of. Two independent analyzes show a hardness that is significantly lower than what is accepted by those who produce series of similar parts.
The geometry is also inadequate for a modern sports car, in the first place, the steering radius (scrub radius) too large.
SFRO do enstycksbesiktningar amateur-built vehicles and therefore can not really "accept" or "reject" a component. It is up to the builder to show that the parts meet the requirements. But despite it happens that SFRO take common positions on components.
When it comes to this type of cast spiders is that position until further that they do not pass the SFRO-inspection.
The manufacturer (GOX Teknik AB, www.sportscar.se) was informed of the doubts in December 2009 and was given the opportunity to inform existing and potential customers about the problems, via their own website. At this writing (February 2010) there is no such information there. Therefore SFRO go out with information directly on www.sfro.com
Customers who bought this type of stem must contact the supplier to give back the components.
SFROs Board and Technical Committee

Rune

Supporter
there is much more behind this then what is written here, but it help nobody to go on the forum with the real story. the uprights used here was given to some builder for testing , they where given because they was wrecked. The SFRO was at GOX for a second test but did not gave any report from this visit . They did not find anything. I think someone does not want GOX on the marked. People that want to buy a GOX space frame can make a phone call and get the info.

All who bought these alloy uprights to their GOX replicas has not passed SFRO 1 ie design and quality inspection.

It is not about someone wanting GOX away from the market, it's about having bought something that is not suitable in accordance with the requirements of the product and that GOX has no will to fix or replace the customer for them.

It was real facts that rejected GOX uprights. I have made hardness tests, materials analysis, and measured the wrong bearings position in my uprights. Add everything else that GOX did not do right. You have the world's worst start to a successful GT40 building if you buy something from GOX. These are my thoughts. I have GOX number 29, so I know.

It was real facts that rejected GOX uprights. I have made hardness tests, materials analysis, and measured the wrong bearings position in my uprights. Add everything else that GOX did not do right. You have the world's worst start to a successful GT40 building if you buy something from GOX. These are my thoughts. I have GOX number 29, so I know.

Thanks, sound like i should back off from a buy.

Read here...
SFRO godtar inte GOX Tekniks gjutna spindlar

...you could also buy the spindles from RCR and exchange with a little work.

Reading that article it may not be that simple, it would appear that the SFRO also had concerns about the geometry and positioning of components where they attach to both front & rear uprights aswell, therefore trying to substitute RCR components or any other type/brand would mean having to go thru the same testing/proof procedures. Looking at pics of the GOX front upright it appears to follow the original GT40 upright in placement of ball joint attachment so that makes me wonder if even an original spec upright would pass their testing regime.

Reading that article it may not be that simple, it would appear that the SFRO also had concerns about the geometry and positioning of components where they attach to both front & rear uprights aswell, therefore trying to substitute RCR components or any other type/brand would mean having to go thru the same testing/proof procedures. Looking at pics of the GOX front upright it appears to follow the original GT40 upright in placement of ball joint attachment so that makes me wonder if even an original spec upright would pass their testing regime.

Yeah, thats what I heard. That they wont pass the orginial uprights.

Someone told me that Gox is owned by Goran of Pantera fame I don't know if its true or not,, he lives and breaths cars and suspension, so I an surprised if it is the same guy, that built the GT40. Because Goran is a very talented engineer.
http://www.hemipanter.se/ have read about A-arm geometry on his page its very well written, the rest of his site has amazing info also.

Last edited:
Someone told me that Gox is owned by Goran of Pantera fame I don't know if its true or not,, he lives and breaths cars and suspension, so I an surprised if it is the same guy, that built the GT40. Because Goran is a very talented engineer.
Hemipanter have read about A-arm geometry on his page its very well written, the rest of his site has amazing info also.

No , Hemi Pantera Goran is a completely different person, he has nothing to do with GOX

Last edited:
Dont think its the same guy, IIRC the Goran of GOX spent time working with/for Dave Brown here in Invercargill NZ @ Classic Car Developments when his GT40 production was just starting before heading back to Sweden to start up GOX Teknik.
The Goran of Pantera fame was a regular poster about things technical here on GT40s many years ago.

FWIW it would appear that building any form of Replica in Sweden will require working with the SFRO when any critical suspension components are made or modified, not unlike having to go thru IVA in the UK or similar organisations here in NZ & Australia. The USA would appear to be the least rule/compliance restricted country in the western world, look after it you guys, rules for the sake of rules are a pain in the butt!

A friend of mine, ordered and paid for a car from GOX in 2006, and still havent received what he paid for....Part of what has been received were of substandard quality, amongst this was the the uprights.......maybe this thread should be moved to the vendor feedback section....

Keith

I'm a little confused by all of this. Reading through the entire thread am I understanding correctly that these mono chassis from GOX have much in common with/built from the same plans as CCD of NZ?

Keith

It was just the mention of Goran spending time in NZ with David Brown that made the connection in my head really Brett. Probably got it completely wrong.. No change there then!

Back