z-f bell housing steel or aluminum?

I don't know if it has been brought up before, but its time for me to ask. We went out to the track with our mk-2 and It worked great! cornering braking acceleration all exceeded my expectations. I ran it as I normally would not race hard shifting between 6 and 6500 without any problems. I had rolled back onto the throttle coming out of a turn and It sounded like you turned on a blender full of nuts and bolts. I put it into neutral shut it down coasted to a safe spot off line and waited for the tow.
The transaxle never locked up the clutch still seems normal with the pedal. I can stick a mirror in the 2'' hole blown in the side of the bell housing [starter side] to see the front of the starter is intact. I am not sure what came apart yet but it did. I wont weld/repair that housing even if it is possible. The set up is behind me instead of at my knees like in one of the cobras [I run all steel scatershields in those] I would like to hear thoughts on the aluminum vs steel bell housings [quick time] was the only steel one I could find.:stunned:.................m

Until you strip it down and find out what broke or punched the hole in the bell housing its a guessing game...bell housing might simply be an innocent injured party to what really broke first.

Ellis Hubbard

Lifetime Supporter
Safir sells a bell housing (cast aluminum) and clutch assembly (twin plate) with a fly wheel as used on the original GT40s. They advertise on gt40s.com.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Until you strip it down and find out what broke or punched the hole in the bell housing its a guessing game...bell housing might simply be an innocent injured party to what really broke first.

+1, very rarely have I heard of a bellhousing being blown apart or holed.

Julian

I don't know what came apart in there Julian, we put it together, bolts are always torqued and Loctite used. This type of failure is a first for us as well I wont know what failed until we can tear it down I think a failure in the pressure plate but I am guessing. Steel or aluminum on the replacement bell housing?

D. Nye

Lifetime Supporter
If it was me I would use the steel bellhousing, it can't weigh more than 5 lbs more and although you are not setting on top of it there is a lot of things back there I don't want to cut or put wholes in, like oil lines, break lines, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Don

I'd recommend the Quicktime steel bellhousing. I've scraped the bottom lip of it a couple of times with minimal damage. Don't know that an aluminum one would fare as well.

If any of the flywheel/clutch gubbins part company with the engine on a rev it will trash both ali and steel bellhousings . If you are that worried fit a blanket.

This VW dual mass flywheel expired and cut the bellhousing clean in two.

Bob

I've suffered a clutch explosion in the past; blew the bellhousing apart (aly), broke the lugs on the block, cut the headers, holed the hood, dented the floor (double skinned) and put a large divot in the pit straight at Goodwood. Get a clutch that is properly spec'd for the job.

Back