Gt40 - 2131

Could anybody help me with this car?

It has papers from 1965 with VIN GT40 2131

Think it is a replica, isn't it?

Maybe somebody know the car - it is still in a collection in Spain.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Looks like a Superformance to me, then the VIN would make sense....

Do you have more pics?.

Markus

Rolando,

The car is chassis #GT40P2131 made by Superformance, and is a genuine GT40. It was shipped from the factory on May 28th, 2007 to Auto Eshuis in Hardenberg, Netherlands, where it went into dealer inventory.

There were left hand drive GT40s that were made in the '60s (although very few), so LHD does not disqualify a car from being a genuine GT40. Genuine GT40s have been made in the '60s to early '70s by FAV and JWA, from the early '80s to the late '90s by Safir Engineering, and again have begun being made and continue to be made in the 2000s by Superformance under license from Safir GT40 Spares, Limited.

Any car that carries an authorized GT40P serial number and is registered in the various publications by the various clubs or groups is a genuine GT40, no matter of its date of production.

Very helpful Safir GT40.

Have been looking at a Superformance car for sale locally in my area. Great to hear I would be buying an original car, but I'm confused why it's only $125k not $5million. Huh?

I think it's pretty clear the poster was asking if the car is from the 1960's as the paperwork indicates. Clearly not. Still, a beautiful car no less....licensed for use of the GT40 name, or not.

Thank you, Mike, for the clarity; which explains everything, provided that folks understand how rarity, and particularly provenance, can affect the value of anything including automobiles.

Thank you, Mike, for the clarity; which explains everything, provided that folks understand how rarity, and particularly provenance, can affect the value of anything including automobiles.

So paying you a license fee makes a car "genuine" which is otherwise not genuine. OK I guess.

Personally, my $.02 would be that the Superformance car stands on its own as the best GT40 replica out there regardless of any license payment to you for use of the "GT40" name. But that's just me and my opinion.....and I don't have anything financial at stake here.

One thing that is definitely "off" is someone putting out bogus paperwork indicating a car is a "1969" when it's not. That's just deceptive and diminishes the credibility of GT40s everywhere....replica or otherwise.

So would a 2002 CAV GT40 titled as a 1966 Ford Mark 1 be deceptive? :):)

Jacmac, I'm not sure title is the issue....that's between the owner and the issuing state.

It's when a car is either promoted for sale as a "1966" or shown for display purposes and described as a "1966" (when it's not)....that's the issue. That's intentional deception which causes confusion in the minds of a broader audience. Why not just be straight about it? After all, these are amazingly beautiful cars we're talking about here, no reason to call it other than exactly what it is right?

Back