5/8 scale gt40

Hi, i posted on here briefly when i had the vx220/elise gt40. I have an old french childs gt40 mould and want to make a chassis for the body. It measures 260cm long when done. i am a competent welder but need advice on a scaled down chassis. Has anyone on her hever built one? have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMGP5928.jpg
    IMGP5928.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 960
  • thumbnail_IMG_20150222_141339.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20150222_141339.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 540
  • IMGP5914.jpg
    IMGP5914.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 501
Hi, i posted on here briefly when i had the vx220/elise gt40. I have an old french childs gt40 mould and want to make a chassis for the body. It measures 260cm long when done. i am a competent welder but need advice on a scaled down chassis. Has anyone on her hever built one? have any ideas?

wonderfull to see this scale-body,.....first you must think about what you want or Need,...a full Suspension Chassis??, a scale-down-original Chassis, a nearly correct tube-frame-Chassis??,...or do you want an easy, not so expensive way to build, a cart-frame with some modifications, or a custom tubeframe,....what engine you want inside ?, fuel or electric??,....

so first must be a conzept what should be the result of all this work, if you know the direction you want to go, than think about Chassis, all variants can be done, some cheep, some for Money, and some for bigmoney

but i know,...after it is finished, it will be a wonderfull Little car, and the owner will be in heaven about this

you are welcome for more thinking and speaking about

ernst

Hi

Before I built my GT40, I built a little car for my daughter. I made a wood monocoque. Now there's a thought (??). Like all these things, depends what, how, etc.. it is going to be used.

Have fun anyway.

Regards

Stephen

I would love to build one of those for my nephews, that is fantastic.

If it were me I might consider buying a used go-kart frame that was close and already had all the spindles and things. Then retrofit to the body, would save a lot of time; not that go-karts are that complicated.

Hi

Before I built my GT40, I built a little car for my daughter. I made a wood monocoque. Now there's a thought (??). Like all these things, depends what, how, etc.. it is going to be used.

Have fun anyway.

Regards

Stephen

do you have a pic from this ??,.....i like this small racecars,..

ernst

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
There are a lot of racers who drive 5/8 scale cars...I have even seen one with a 350 Chevy in the engine compartment.

They are incredibly fast, from what little I've seen of them.

Of course, the engine and most of the mechanicals are in the front of the car; this is NOT the case with the GT40, which is routinely fitted with a rear-mounted transaxle. It's hard enough to get one of those into a regular 40, much less a 5/8 scale one.

Then, again, there might be the chance that this is meant to be powered by a B&S or a VW engine/transaxle...

Either way...way COOL!

Cheers!

Doug

Anyone know if these little car bodies are still available? Internet search didn't bring me any positive results.

Richard

Hi to all and thanks for all the positive replies. I don't know of any body's or kits of a gt40 to buy, hence why, when I found this mould it interested me.
I will of course make bodies available should anyone want one. I have access to a ferrari 330 p2 junior mould also.
At 2.60m long it's is fair bit longer than a kart frame. I'm prepared to spend a fair bit of money at this build, it will have all new parts. Engine wise we are probably look at a Honda gx series with torque converter and a forward reverse box.
I'm hoping to enter it into "little big mans" at the LM Classic in 2018.

On a side note if anyone needs any un1-13 gearbox's give me a shout as I have several here in France

I have one just like it. It was produced in France under ford licensing according to the vin tag.It is the same as the one at the Shelby American collection in boulder Colorado just a lower vin. I have seen them pop up over the years. We also have a newer version that adults fit in a lot better having built the go kart chassis for big kids.

I will be back in the shop early next week and will take some. If you need something specific let me know I will do my best................m

I tried to upload some pictures after starting an album but it wouldn't allow me because I didn't have a security token, not sure what that meant?...m

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I tried to upload some pictures after starting an album but it wouldn't allow me because I didn't have a security token, not sure what that meant?...m

Delete your cache and cookies - try again. I've not seen anyone else with token problems lately. I did have that problem on another site and had to do what I just told you and it worked.

Back