realistic build cost?

Hi!
I am planing my GT40 build atm and want to hear from people who have finished or are nearly finished with their scratchbuilds what the final cost of the build landed on.

Please tell me a little about the finished car so i can get an idea of how much was sourced from suppliers and what was selfmade or locally made

Mike Pass

Supporter
As GT40 builds are very variable and specific to what the builders want or can afford may I suggest an additional approach. I have seen builds which vary in total cost between £13,000 and £100,000.
I have attached an Excel spreadsheet which I did some years ago but simply update the costs with today's costs for what parts you want and you will get the answer - but you may not be too happy with the total!

Typical costs of kits, parts etc can be found on Ebay etc. and the usual suspects as below.

Southern GT
Southern GT - Manufacturer of the new Southern GT40 Replica-ho9dnkfvc5gouv080bmvtkh3i6
Tornado
Tornado Sports Cars
GTForte
GT40 Replica cars, kits and parts
Gt racing
GT40 Chassis - GT Racing
etc.

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• GT40 build cost.xls
    19 KB · Views: 1,630
Hi Daniel, my BEC is almost done...see my build thread on it. So I got accurate and recent costs. Note that all parts not sourced in Europe will get 25% vat and 3% customs added to it. Plus shipping, also for eu parts.

All parts, detailed overview check Bec South Africa homepage or southern GT in Europe. They have complete overview.

Main costs except for chassis and body, electrics etc;

Wheels and tyres, halibrand single bolt; 4 kEuro
Ac and heater set; 2 kEuro
Brakes calipers and pads; 2 kEuro
Brake discs; 1- 2 kEuro
Engine; if new 8-20kEuro
Transaxle; if new ZFQ 13 kEuro. Used Porsche 6-8 KEuro, used Audi 1-2k
Clutch assembly complete; 2-3 kEuro
Pedal stand complete; 1 kEuro
Seats, 1-2 kEuro
Driveshafts; 1-2 kEuro

Paint incl body prep is 5-10KEuro depending on how good it needs to be.

If you go for new components of the best quality expect 60-80 kEuro in component costs.

building a car is such an individual thing. That what it cost someone else is not what it'll cost you & your tastes. The level of abilities to do your own machining or welding? Your expectations of authenticity or creature comforts. It's like the signs here in the States in Hot Rod shops "Speed costs. How fast do you want to go?" LOL

I think i've got a clearer picture now that i used the template from Mike(added ALOT of posts to it thou) and the cost is now revised to 38K£ instead of 35K£.
This is however with most of the parts bought finished. I can save alot of money by doing some items myself and thereby cut into the cost. Would like to get under 30K£ with the same items, but more work from my part.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Daniel.
Please post your spreadsheet with your updated/revised information. Go to the Additional options below the Reply to Thread box and Manage attachments.
Cheers
Mike

Here we go, i made it in swedish(with some english remaining) and the cost is also in english. For an accurate cost in British currency just divide the swedish costs in 11,5.

Edit: I made an english version for you instead, enjoy and thanks for the template. i combined yours and the one i got from GT Forte and added a few posts to get where i'm at now.

Attachments

• GT40 build cost_eng.xls
    57 KB · Views: 960
Last edited:
A complete Tornado kit with EVERYTHING needed to complete a running car will cost at today's exchange rate, 460,450 +/- SEK (Swedish Krona), less shipping and duties.

That's a solid realistic number.

A complete Tornado kit with EVERYTHING needed to complete a running car will cost at today's exchange rate, 460,450 +/- SEK (Swedish Krona), less shipping and duties.

That's a solid realistic number.

A TSC build Pro package(complete with every last nut and washer) will cost you 552´000 SEK with tax + shipping and paint = 600´000SEK +

So no, you are wrong there Scott, sry.
Besides, the Swedish legislations dictate that the welding have to be inspected before paint. That means i would have to destroy the premade chassie from TSC if i bought one. Seems counter productive to me :shocked:

Hmmm, my currency converter says less (XE.com), so they will get you a better rate. As far as welding inspection, Tornado would certainly remove the included cost of powder coat. Keep in mind you will pay taxes, shipping and duties only once.

Good luck with your build and be sure to start a build thread to keep us posted on your progress.

XE.com says 1GBP = 11,5129 SEK.
TSC price is 39995 + VAT and shipping and paint and glue.
39995*1,2(VAT)*11,5129=552550 SEK +30-40000 SEK for paint and 1600 SEK for glue and maybe 10000 SEK for shipping. that is close to 600´000 SEK with my math atleast, or am i thinking it wrong?

No your math is right Daniel.

Scott has it also correct because as he is the US he doesn't pay VAT in his conversion, but may pay duties when it arrives.

Personally i gave up counting years ago as I've been doing mine so long; it's now more a 'have I got the money to afford this' question at the relevant time :)

Brett

Here we go, i made it in swedish(with some english remaining) and the cost is also in english. For an accurate cost in British currency just divide the swedish costs in 11,5.

Edit: I made an english version for you instead, enjoy and thanks for the template. i combined yours and the one i got from GT Forte and added a few posts to get where i'm at now.

Daniel,
There's definitely opportunities in that spreadsheet for you to bring some of those costs down :)

Brett

Personally i gave up counting years ago as I've been doing mine so long; it's now more a 'have I got the money to afford this' question at the relevant time :)

Brett

I started mine an eon ago! In the mean time i have had kids, moved home X2, and changed jobs! But I'm just getting back to it now.

Like Brett, I gave up asking how much the whole thing was going to cost years ago. Now its can I afford whatever the next thing I need is?

as you can see in my budget i didn't spend 25k£ in the driveline for example. that's because it's easier to register a selfbuilt car in Sweden with a modest amount of power. The engine will likely get the "power" treatment in form of heads and headers when the car is completed. Thus expanding the budget, but that's AFTER registration is done. Then i don't have to worry about the timeline.

Swedish IVA have this idiotic rule where i have to make the first and last IVA inspection within 5 years of each other, and i can't grind down the welds for the first IVA, and i can't change owner on the car or the inspections become invalid. This means i have to assemble the car within 5 years of first inspection or the whole build is scrap.

Hi Daniel,

My advice is to reserver at least 400KSEK for such project. It is good to make a budget and I believe you have done a decent job but there are more to it, but it is a good start. I have seen so many trying to build for less but it always ends up in big disappointment. My strong advice is if you cannot reserve that budget go for something less expensive and be realistic.

Kind regards
Henrik

Back