The Paddock Poll

The Paddock on GT40s.com should be _______________.

• Closed and removed.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Left open as it is now.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • Left open as a "Supporters Only" clubhouse, i.e., closed to all but forum supporters.

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Left open with absolutely no moderation, i.e., the home of the free and the brave.

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Left open as is but no politics or religion around the dinner table. No place here for that.

Biased way to run a poll, 4 options, three based on staying open vs one to close. Shouldn't it be two-Remain or Close and then a further Poll if its Remain for the options. Just a thought from outside the paddock and having had to fix a few fences over the years.

Ron Earp

Admin
Of course it is biased, it's biased toward things I'm willing to do :laugh:. Heck, I voted for option four so you know I'm on the extreme.

Seriously, open another poll with more options maybe, or, just open discussion.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I liked option 3...there seems to be plenty of members who want to join in our political discussions, but aren’t forum supporters. This might be a way to increase forum income...or, perhaps, eliminate from our discussions those members to whom I refer as trolls...and you know who you are (at last count I had four of you in the “ignore” group)!

I like your bravado, though, Ron, when you say leave it open and let the chips fall where they may :2thumbsup:

The only problem I see with that is there will certainly be more vulgarity without a mod, which means the forum won’t be available to me at work. I realize this won’t be a problem for most of our participants, so...oh, well, I’ll just have to participate in our discussions from home.

“Onward!!! Thru the fog!!!”

Cheers!

Doug

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
For an area that supposedly means so little to so many people, there sure are a lot of votes.
Maybe we need to check IP addresses in case people are cookie laundering....

Ron Earp

Admin
No sir, that tells me you've not been visiting The Paddock. Down there, sir, there be moderators. They've corralled all the political speak into one thread, and, if one of the inmates starts another thread on politics they'll shut it down. No foul language either. That's the way things are now and is option #2.

That's in sharp contrast to option #4 where we don't need no stinkin moderators. Cuss, smoke, drink, and talk about whatever you want whenever you want. The home of the free and the brave. Plus the crass and vulgar, sometimes indecent.

The Paddock worked as option #4 for many many years. Then some thin skinned individuals kept being offended that someone called them a bad name, didn't agree with their world view, and kept calling for MODERATION. Hell, the forum even got some threatening legal mail from jolly old England because some fellow decided that England's libel laws should apply to a forum based in the US (they do not). One bloke called another a wanker and off we went, notwithstanding the fact he was indeed a wanker.

So here we are.

Pat

Supporter
I think the "old days" in Paddock were lively and fun with fair disagreements. Unfortunately, it seems to have degenerated into the monkey cage at the zoo with people getting triggered by this or that and losing their minds -immediately followed by throwing feces at each other. I've pretty much stopped going there for that reason.

One recent item really bothers me though, the gt40s.com being banned in libraries based on the (presumably Paddock) content. Go to a car show, SCCA event or even a cars and coffee and the participants are getting fewer and grayer. Our hobby is simply not able to compete with the newest app or the latest XBox release. The forum is a great way for youngsters seeing GT40s on various game apps to get into the history and recreation of such an iconic car. Personally, if I was age 15 again, I'd be all over this site but if my parents saw the profanity and other vile stuff from the Paddock's lower reaches, it would be banned at home. Simple solution, block the Paddock from general access and let the simians have at it. At the same time increase the site's revenue.

So my slogan of the day is "don't take it away, make people pay!".

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Left open as is but no politics or religion around the dinner table. No place here for that.

Yes there is. It's called "The Paddock". 'Even has a thread dedicated to it!

All that thin mountain air must be messin' with ya, buddy...

(BTW, Mike...'FYI': we were 'blessed' with about 3-4 inches of the 'white stuff' here overnight. 'First snowfall of the year...and a tad EARLY. I figured, seein' as tuh how you love playin' in the stuff, knowing that might help warm the cockles of ye cold, cold heart! :D)

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...Simple solution, block the Paddock from general access and let the simians have at it. At the same time increase the site's revenue.

So my slogan of the day is "don't take it away, make people pay!".

Bingo. And so far that position is leading in the poll.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Just curious...if the #3 selection wins the poll and the Paddock becomes a portion available only to those who support GT40s financially, does that mean that the firewall administrators who have blocked GT40 from my employers available websites CANNOT get access to the Paddock?

If so, that ought to put the kibosh on the "blocked due to abusive/profane language" problem!

It's not why I voted for 3, though...I just think that making the Paddock a pay-for-entry part of the forum will keep those who don't like the things they see on the Paddock now from grousing so much...they probably won't become sponsoring members if they don't like the political discussions.

Doug

Not sure why the four choices on this vote. Basically either same old, same old or nothing. I guess the question of a paddock or no paddock was too strenuous to the forum.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There should be another poll option. Are you willing to pay for a platform for Rod Knock and Jeff Young to gleefully call for the destruction of the Presidency and a constitutional crisis? Nope! If I could get a refund on my lifetime membership I would. The political rubbish spoken in the paddock is abhorrent and disgusting.

Last edited:
38 votes at this moment out of 14931 membership ( probably a few departed amongst that # ) is hardly justification for anything really!

Back