Auction: J12

The first time I attended Amelia Island I think it was $25 at the gate, $20 if paid in advance. No crowds, no traffic, unfettered access to cars and celebs...wonderful. Not that way anymore, but I'll still be there...;-)

I recall those days also Mike. Rumor has it Bill Warner raised prices to limit the "riff-raff" factor. Whether true or not I'm unsure. All I know is its a wonderful event that all car lovers should attend if given a chance.

Yes Jimmy, partly to keep out the unwashed no doubt, but i suspect more likely to boost charitable donations. I served as volunteer judge along with Bill Warner for a few years at the annual Ponte Vedra chamber of commerce car show held at Sawgrass. Never thought to ask him.

Will you be at the show on Sunday, or just attending the auction?

Mike, excellent point about the donations factor....I like that over the riff-raff accusation.
I'll be there for 3 days. Would enjoy meeting over a cup of coffee if time permits. I can PM you my contact info if this works for you.

Please do Jimmy, I'd very much enjoy meeting up with you. I'll PM my contact number to you as well.

Regards, Mike

I thought it would be a lot more ......

J12 was one of two unnumbered spare tubs that never used by Ford/Kar Kraft. Ford inventory was sold and later finished by Brian Angliss in England. With the inventory they built J-11 using an original rear clip and J-12 with original front clip. The rear clip for J-12 from the cabin back does not have the original shape. The engine lacks the the dry sump oil system (the sale includes the dry sump in a box that requires a lot of fabrication and labor).

With only 12 tubs built and J-1 and J-2 do not exist that leaves only 10 tubs for the market. J-5 is at the Ford Museum and it is not for sale. Two other are in museum (Shelby and Simeone). CanAm J-9 and J-10 were re bodied to MK-IV specs. That leaves only seven JCars available in the market and I agree with you that it should have gone for more $$.

We took J-10 to Amelia this year and it was it first outing and it was nice to feel the people reactions and questions.

The estimate for J-12 was $2,000,000 to $2,500,000, but it didn't make the estimate.

My extremely uninformed guess is that perhaps there wasn't a great interest in the car from bidders because it wasn't an original car built in the 1960s when they were still being raced at Le Mans. Instead, it was built from leftover spares in the mid-80s (completed in 1987).

1967 Ford GT40 Mk IV | Gooding & Company

HI Ben. I was in attendance and the car did sell at $1.925 Million. I think this is market correct given its lack of pedigree (racing history). It showed very well and sounded spectacular. BTW, a RED MK IV was also on the display field at Amelia. The car was owned by a few gentlemen and mirrored the car that won Le Mans in 1967. This car also showed beautifully and sounded epic. When he left the field at the conclusion of the event I witnessed him driving the car back to its trailer which requires he drive up a slight hill. He had to keep the revs up so not to stall it. For those going in the future this is a great place to watch cars leave the field as drivers MUST keep the revs up so not to stall the car. Most embarrassing if you do but the sounds are cherished by all who are there.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Here are J11 and 12 at Autokraft in May of 1995. You don't want to know what I could have bought them for!

Attachments

• J11&12 May85-page0001.jpg
    J11&12 May85-page0001.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 641
HI Ben. I was in attendance and the car did sell at $1.925 Million. I think this is market correct given its lack of pedigree (racing history). It showed very well and sounded spectacular. BTW, a RED MK IV was also on the display field at Amelia. The car was owned by a few gentlemen and mirrored the car that won Le Mans in 1967. This car also showed beautifully and sounded epic. When he left the field at the conclusion of the event I witnessed him driving the car back to its trailer which requires he drive up a slight hill. He had to keep the revs up so not to stall it. For those going in the future this is a great place to watch cars leave the field as drivers MUST keep the revs up so not to stall the car. Most embarrassing if you do but the sounds are cherished by all who are there.

The red MK-IV is J-10. The driver was Peter B Portante (son of ERA Peter Portante). He did a good job driving it back to the trailer parking. The sound of the 427 on a GT 40 is totally different of what you hear on a Cobra due to barrel of snake exhaust. J-10 raced for two years in CanAm (G7A) and the conversion to MK-IV was started by the previous owner. We purchased it in 1996. Peter Portante and many other did an incredible job on J-10.

Here are J11 and 12 at Autokraft in May of 1995. You don't want to know what I could have bought them for!

In 1994 at Road America Peter Portante from ERA meet Peter Thorp from Safir. Thorp had 2 or 3 of his GT40 and told Portante that their was no interest on the cars. ERA had cars on order but production was slow and difficult since many were turnkeys. Thorp later sold his business

I think that the new interest of GT was with Ford introduction of the Ford GT in 2005 that showed younger group of people what a GT40 is or was. MK-IV due to the limited production has a greater interest and value but the MK-I are more popular specially the Gulf style cars. We acquired J-10 22 years ago but the actual work done was i the last 4 or 5 years.

Back