GT40 kit completed the most

There are quite a few kits on the market and larger and smaller companies offering them. I have read a few of the build logs to see what some builders experiences are with the kits and understand some are easier or others need more fabrication. My question (horribly worded) is what kit would you say is completed the most from home builders? I am wondering about chassis up builds or even rollers. Thanks

Luc,

Simply based on the two variables indicated, logic would dictate that rollers should be completed with far greater regularity than chassis-up builds for no other reason than degree of complexity (i.e. skills, tools, time, expertise, materials, etc.).

I agree completely and understand. I think my question wasn’t worded the way I was trying to ask. What manufacturer probably has the most finished kits from home builders, not turn key? RCR, TSC, Forte, etc.

Are you looking for manufacturer with the most completed cars? Or highest percentage of completed cars?

I think the answers to both questions would be interesting.

Again, far too many variables to make a reasonable comparison. Some kit manufacturers like GT-Forte provide nothing more than a set of pre-cut steel pipes and some chassis plans that need to be pieced together, welded and skinned. Others like RCR provide a complete tig-welded aluminum monocoque chassis that eliminates a great deal of build complexity compared to the former example. In this example, I'd similarly assume more RCRs are completed than GT-Forte's.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I would guess for kits sold
Tornado
GTD no longer in existence
RCR
CAV
Superformance
Roaring Forties

As I say just my guess based on length of time trading etc

Ian

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
2018 marks our 29th year of GT40 replica production.

We have manufactured more GT40 kits than anybody else.

We have Spaceframe and Monocoque versions available and all parts required to complete both versions.

Our kits are more complete and contain every single item needed. The pro kits even include the brake fluid.

We have more customer built cars completed.

Thanks

Andy

I would guess for kits sold
Tornado
GTD no longer in existence
RCR
CAV
Superformance
Roaring Forties

As I say just my guess based on length of time trading etc

Ian

Hi Ian,

I think Southern GT are getting close to chassis number 50 if they haven't already reached it.

Nick

Luc,

I would just say that you should be sure that your supplier can provide every single part required to finish the car. With a rolling chassis, most of your problems are resolved, but if you are going to build, you need to be able to get everything from a single supplier. Parts from a different supplier might not fit the rest of your build.

Even supplying all the hardware is a big deal. It would be frustrating to make all the decisions of bolt size and length and other hardware yourself when someone else already knows the correct hardware and can provide it or tell you what it is. Multiple trips to the hardware store sucks.

The second question is the quality of the parts such as how accurate and symmetric the frame is and the quality of the fiberglass work. Do some research, get some opinions, and don't just look at price.

-Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas

I’ve been trying to look but haven’t been able to find this. Has anyone weighed their cars? I know each kit will weigh different with motor or mono but just a rough estimate.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
My DAX at SVA with full tanks 1125kg bit DAX builds a heavy body over 1cm thick around screen opening! and thicker chassis rails.

I believe Paul W had his Tornado down to 875kg

Ian

My DAX at SVA with full tanks 1125kg bit DAX builds a heavy body over 1cm thick around screen opening! and thicker chassis rails.

I believe Paul W had his Tornado down to 875kg

Ian

Maybe PaulW will chime in. I reckon that number was without fuel. My demo was 964kg (2120 lbs) topped off ready to run. If I ever get off my azz and finish the US C/F demo car we’ll see all up numbers like 850kg or less. Andy S. can speak to that better than I can though

Chris Kouba

Supporter
My RCR40 with half tanks is ~2400 pounds. Iron block 302, ZF gearbox, 2" flared rear clip, 8"/10" wheels.

I would just say that you should be sure that your supplier can provide every single part required to finish the car. With a rolling chassis, most of your problems are resolved, but if you are going to build, you need to be able to get everything from a single supplier. Parts from a different supplier might not fit the rest of your build.

This is very true. Some hear "kit car" and think you get a box with all the parts and it's simply a matter of assembling them (which is what Tornado appears to be). Others are more of a "you get the big bits and the opportunity to figure out the rest". Understand what you are signing up for. That said, if you enjoy the fabrication part of building things, there is an opportunity at every juncture to re-engineer, no matter which vendor you may select.

Even supplying all the hardware is a big deal. It would be frustrating to make all the decisions of bolt size and length and other hardware yourself when someone else already knows the correct hardware and can provide it or tell you what it is. Multiple trips to the hardware store sucks.

Multiples of anything suck. There are a number of systems on my car which are in their multiple revisions because the first time was ok, but there are things which I figured out along the way (or saw someone else on the forum who did) and needed to revise a given system. Be prepared to revise.

Do some research, get some opinions, and don't just look at price.

Absolutely. The best thing for you to do is get your eyes and hands on one. Find someone in your neighborhood or go on a road trip.

You will spend a massive amount of time building and working on this car. It will never be finished, but in a good way. Set yourself up to enjoy it!

Chris

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Luc, IIRC Tornado prides itself for selling a "complete" kit...everything you'll need to construct the chassis, interior and body, including glass. I don't think they include the motor or drivetrain components, wheels and tires, liquids, etc., but if you're looking for the kit that already contains most of what you'd need, I'd suggest contacting Scott about a Tornado.

I understand the desire to get as complete a kit as possible. As I read through the build threads I see a LOT of custom fabrication, some of which can be accomplished by the builder (look at Bill D's RCR build thread...he did some splendid work!!!), but I have very little knowledge regarding fabrication so farming all of that out to run the price up a LOT!

Now, if you're a competent fabricator, that opens up a whole different kettle of fish!! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Doug

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Doug

Our pro kit does include Engine, all drive train components, wheels and tyres.

We give a guarantee with all pro kits that everything is there.

If you find an item missing needed to complete the car, even if its only a rivet or screw, we will send it on FOC.

Thanks

Andy

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
WOW, Andy, that’s fantastic!

That even more fully convinces me that there is good reason that so many people successfully complete your products.

Cheers to Tornado!!

Doug

After reading a ton of build logs and after some research I think TSC is what I’ll be going with. I feel that with them offering the full kit and it only taking 350 hours to assemble is a good sign. It has been many years since I did any real fabrication and not sure my abilities are up to what some have been doing or needed to do. I need to find someone in the area with the Tornado to take a look.

Andy where are your reps here in the states?

Back