Highest horsepower gt40?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I know who probably did. The guy who used to own this...a fellow who lives in Norway(?) (Denmark?), I believe (Dallas Performance might be willing to provide his contact info):

Ford GT40 Twin Turbo from Dallas Performance - YouTube

'Had a twin turbo 427(?) small block in it...'somewhere around 1K h.p. "+" as I recall. 'Reportedly ended up flying off the road backwards 'at speed'. Evidentially Dallas Performance refused to rebuild it for him. They reportedly had been none too keen about creating it for him in the 1st place due to their concerns regarding the safety level - or lack thereof - such a build might represent. But the guy had insisted, so...

Popular opinion/position/belief, as I understand it, is that the GT40 chassis wasn't designed to handle much-if-anything-at-all-over, say, 450 h.p. (Hopefully others more well versed in GT40 specs will correct me if I'm wrong there...)

:chug:

Edit: 'Found their 'tune-up session' video. You can get some idea of what the car was like power-wise here (turn up the sound at your own risk!):

Dallas Performance Twin Turbo GT40 Superformance 1200 horsepower - YouTube

Last edited:
Pretty sure Larry is right - that particular GT40 was somewhere between 1,000 and 1,100 peak. I heard it wasn't a great driving car because of both the weight and the over-the-top hp/tq.

There's lots of great 500-600 hp/tq GT40's around with a variety of 351-based engines but the Dallas Performance car is the only one to break 1,000 that I'm aware of.

Yeah John, lambo made 1750 whp. Thanks Larry for the info. Taylor built my lambo so I'll send him a message. That's way short of the 2500 + I'm trying to do

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah John, lambo made 1750 whp. Thanks Larry for the info. Taylor built my lambo so I'll send him a message. That's way short of the 2500 + I'm trying to do

Given the fact he was opposed to 1K "+" h.p. in a GT40, he'll probably advise...no...INSIST you rethink putting 2500 h.p. in one, Brian (if you're referring to a guy named "Taylor" @ Dallas). I'd bet serious money on it!

(I believe 'twas a guy named "Taylor" whom I talked to regarding the Dallas Perf. T.T. car a few years back...and he told me back then that they would not be building another 'monster motor-powered' '40 after their experience with the MKII.)

While I'm light-years away from being a qualified chassis engineer, I doubt even 'serious' mods to its suspension/chassis/what-have-you could keep a 'monster motor-powered' '40 out of trouble...even with Sebastian Vettel at the wheel.

JMHO YOMV

:chug:

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
FWIW, as I've said before, I know the ex owner of the car being discussed.
The chassis would twist and the door would open under hard acceleration.
The rear of the car was HEAVY. All those intercoolers, turbos, etc. etc. weighed a lot.
Alf (he's from Norway) and I both had to lean on my quick jack to get the rear end off the ground. Thought I was going to break the quick jack....

Kirby

Why? For bragging rights?

To break the half mile speed record for a rwd car.

Lol i spoke to Taylor yesterday (yes same one you mentioned) and he's on board to help in any way he can. I'm waiting to hear back from Fran if he has any concerns the frame can hold the power.

Schrader, did he have anything done to stiffen the frame like a roll cage or sway bars? The car was from another company other than superlite correct? How was build quality on it?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
To break the half mile speed record for a rwd car.

Aaaaaaaaaaaah...well that explains it then, doesn't it!!! 'Makes a bit more sense now!

'Suggestion, if I may, solely from an 'aero' standpoint? 'Louvers' atop the front fenders to vent accumulated air pressure from under the nose...just in case. "An ounce of prevention" and all that...

;)

(I'm thinkin' what you may end up doing [if the 'rules' allow] is going with an entire tube-type frame/chassis [similar to a pro stock drag racer] in order to address/prevent/conquer the twisting, etc. What the heck. It's going to be a 'purpose-built' car... :shrug:)

Brian,
Just to clarify, are you talking about the GT-40, or Fran's GT-R?

Seems like the GT-R might be the better option? Maybe a carbon fiber one. :)

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Schrader, did he have anything done to stiffen the frame like a roll cage or sway bars? The car was from another company other than superlite correct? How was build quality on it?

No extra stiffening as far as I know. I may be wrong, but I didn't see any in the car when he drove it to my place. It did have electric mirrors, a GPS/stereo system that hid away in the dash, brighter lights, nicer seats, etc. etc.

The car was a Superformance MkII, just like mine. Same color, titanium.

There's a thread on the forum with pictures and information about the car when it was put up for sale from a salvage yard. Last I heard, a guy in Arizona bought it.

FWIW,
Kirby

Good choice. Hope you do a build thread.

Look us up if you're ever in Dallas.
I lived in OKC and used to be up there a lot, but haven't been up there in several years.

Back