New gt40 orders

Seems to me that very few people are ordering new gt40's superformance? Cav? Bailey? When was the last time you saw a post about a new order? I see a few active power cars..

Are people loosing interest?? Are the cars becoming to expensive?
Was it just a fad?

Feel free to answer..

Walt

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It might also have something to do with excessively long lead times and final preparation costs once the roller is delivered..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rick Muck should be along soon and can shed more light on this...

Seems to me that very few people are ordering new gt40's superformance? Cav? Bailey? When was the last time you saw a post about a new order? I see a few active power cars..

Was it just a fad?

Feel free to answer..

Walt

At today’s exchange rate a base TS40 kit with ALL necessary components to build a car, including the engine, is $53,500.

Most Tornado customers don’t do the web forum thing. There is no need to.

Crating, shipping etc. is dependent on the country of final destination Walt. Those costs are laid out on Andy’s website. Every time I speak with him he’s “ in the weeds” . He can speak better to current lead time to shipment, but I believe it’s close to a year. AFA the worldwide market, well its probably somewhat saturated, and all of us who remember or know of the car are getting older!

Thank you for your first hand feed back.. Would like to see a new interest in the gt40's. I know price can be a major factor in sale, also quality. The key players have sharpened their skills over the years , these cars are now a great product. I hope the next generation gets into the gt40 excitement. All i had to do was sit in one and i knew i had to have one.

Anymore feed back/ opinions anyone?

Ryan

call a dealer.. They will know...make sure they include shipping..

that's one way, not everyone is able to call the dealer, different time zones, numbers that don't connect ect.

if you think you might want to build one it would be very hard to put a budget together in 5 minuets, and even harder if your going to try and compare brands.

Prices for the following

Tornado
TSC GT40 Basic Prices

Southern GT
Southern GT - Manufacturer of the new Southern GT40 Replica-efbvglq35c9gvab34s6hd9a345

RCR
RCR40 Kit Details — Race Car Replicas

Absolute Pace
http://www.absolutepace.com/images/brochure_pace_gt.pdf

Cant find ones on Superformance website.
Superformance - GT40 MKI

cant find CAV
http://www.cav.co.za/pages/home.html#top

cant find Active Power
http://www.activepowercars.com/

Classic Car developments in NZ, cant even find contact details
last time I tried calling I couldn't get the phone number to work

Gelscoe don't list a car price

Roaring Forties
don't list prices under the pricing section, but I seem to remember an online shop a while back
http://www.roaringforties.com.au/Pricing.aspx

That's all I can think of at the moment. generally it is easier to find one second hand for sale than to understand what is required of a new kit.

Ryan,

good job, people need to shop and do their home work, speak with car owners, read this forum. Tons of info here.

So with some homework pricing can be established.

Has the interest in gt40's gone away? Maybe its a generational thing.

My gt40 shows well and always drws a crowd. Economy is good, you would think sales would be up.

It could be lack of marketing, i still don't see new posts about ordering cars even from the companies that advertise.

WHAT ARE ENTRY LEVEL TURN KEY PRICES?? WHAT IS THE FINAL COST ?? ARE GT40'S GETTING TO EXPENSIVE?

Last edited:
Walter,
could it also be something to do with this post the other day

Please post answer/update

There may be new builders out there, I know of a few that are building, but not many that post. Is it something that we are doing that is discouraging this?

im happy to help where I can.

Ryan

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Seems to me that very few people are ordering new gt40's superformance? Cav? Bailey?...Are the cars becoming to expensive?

Feel free to answer..

'Thoughts on that from where I sit as an old guy who, for a whole host of reasons, truly would like to own one, but, none-the-less decided against it. The same might be the case for others these days:

Research into building/maintaining a GT40 revealed they require a lot of time and attention in both of those areas...not to mention the initial year-or-so wait for the car to get here once it's ordered ('thinking SPF). At a certain age, both building AND maintaining a car oneself become more of a chore than a 'fun way to spend some time'. In addition, one can figure on spending at least $150K to build a 'top drawer' '40 today vs. around $110-120K or so only a few years ago...and there's no 'factory warranty' in the normal sense once the car's built. You ARE its 'service department'. Additionally, it's a well known fact that a GT40's interior room is, to be kind, not at all 'palatial'. What may NOT be as readily apparent (although it ought to be) is how claustrophobic a '40 can be for some people once seated inside with both doors closed (the Mrs. couldn't get out of the MKII we sat in fast enough).

Removing the nostalgia, racing history and uniqueness of the GT40 from the equation as considerations for purchase/ownership and looking at it strictly from a 'performance' standpoint; one can buy a 'turnkey' 2019 ZR1 delivered to one's door for as "little" as $120K 'sticker'...it has a warranty and a dealer service department (IF they're needed)...and it will blow the doors off a GT40 on the track (or on the street if one chooses to be dumb enough to do that) right out of the box...and it'll do so with both its A/C and sound system 'on'. The only real 'service' a ZR1 needs is an oil change now and then. Again, "at a certain age" such things do take priority.

HOWEVER, regarding all the above; the usually completely clueless crew running things here in the 'States (congress) recently passed a law that now allows low volume 'specialty car' manufacturers ( "kit car" manufacturers are among them) to sell a limited number of their cars 'turnkey' which would eliminate some of the 'issues' I mentioned above...for an additional co$t, of course.

Still, regardless of all that, were I to stumble across a non-Roush 427 stroker-powered Heritage MKI or a black or silver/grey/tungsten, Robt Pond alum block-based 427 F.E.-powered MKII.........and I happened to be in the right mood........

There's really nothing at all like a GT40.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
So in short you ae saying they are overpriced and impractical.

'Not at all what I said, Walt...or at least that wasn't what I'd intended to convey.

My point was there are numerous things that factor into which choice one might make when picking a 'toy car'...and for old coots like ME, they're different from those of 'younger' individuals. So, as the price of GT40s creep UP, they gradually become 'out of reach' for many younger individuals who really want 'em...leaving more of us old coots in the sales demographic percentage-wise...which doesn't necessarily bode well for sales for the reasons I mentioned previously.

Last edited:

Was it just a fad?

Feel free to answer..

Walt
Cost (kit, zf, engine, painting, labor etc), Time to deliver and other factors. The GT40 generation are too old now. This generation can not relate to it. Cobras are a lot cheaper and fun to drive. In the late 90 GT40 sales were almost dead. The 2005 Ford GT helped to revive it.

Was it just a fad?

Feel free to answer..

Walt

Walt, sadly, I think GT40 (and Cobra) popularity may be fading along with the aging of the baby boomer generation. Younger generations appear to be more interested in the cars they've grown up with, not the ones we grew up with.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There have been a couple of peaks and valleys in GT40 sales. When there are ample quality resale cars available, the new sales drop. When there are peaks of interest the new sales bump up. The publicity from the new Ford GT and other such events also increase interest/awareness of the GT40.

Superformance has adjusted the production to match the demand so we are not out a year for delivery, but we also do not have more than a couple of unsold chassis' on the ground at any time.

We do have some very nice resale cars available for those who don't want to wait/build/fettle a new chassis.

Back