Pantera Transaxle Information

G

A Five speed ZF transaxle out of a Pantera is used often to build a GT-40. My question: is a ZF 6 speed out there for sale yet? I heard the Shelby Inc. bought up the first ones made about 4 months ago. Anyone know the dope? Bet they are very expensive if indeed they really exist.
cobrashoch

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't know what often consitutes. Actually, the only replica I know of that is currently sold that uses the ZF is ERA. And they certainly don't consitute the majority of GT40 replicas. The rest use Audi,Porsche,Renault, or other.

The ZF is expensive and there have been a lot of innovations since the first ones were designed. Might want to use a Porsche or Audi box if you're building in the US, easily obtained.

What'ca building?

Ron

G

Lloyd Butfoy (no relation)
will sell brand new 6 speed zf i think for about $16000.00. Used 5 speed zf are getting very rare and very expensive. I just purchase an NOS zf brand new unit 30 year old unit for $7000.00. Lloyd Butfoy will sell you a rebuilt for $6800. Be very careful a used zf can be very costly and very very expensive to rebuild. There are some units on the market that are just too far gone.

Lloyd waiting for my ERA

RBT transmission in CA makes the 6 spd
ZFs. Unless you're building an ERA, and
have $16K+ to toss around, I'd look go
with something else. Don't bother with the
newer Porsche 6 spds, from what I've heard,
the ratios have been moved closer, so the
6th gear is almost equal to the G50/50's
5th.

Ian

G

Ron- really not planning anything,yet.I got a old GT-40 shell(roller) sitting over there in a corner of my shop. My question above is more a throw back question to the days I raced Panteras. The problem with these guys(midship cars) are the transaxles. One of the ways I worked around that a few years back was a v-drive unit driving a mounted rear end out of a corvette. With the other rear end options and other trannys now out there I just may start measuring and buying parts. Looking over most of the old threads and seeing where we are now, some of the old problems now have real solutions. Not so 20 years ago. As for a V-drive, it was the only thing that I found that made a big block car feesible back then. That part of the transaxle problem has not changed much though. A 6-speed ZF is a good starting point though if I am to think about doing it the right way for a big block car.
Cobrashoch

Back