Engine Builder has question

G

We have been contacted to furnish and install a 342 cu. in stroker in a CAV GT-40. Looks to be a very impressive car and conversations with Mr. Robert Lacey have been informative and professional. Does anyone have any experience with these cars and quirks that the engine may require?

That's exactly the motor that's going in my CAV GT40. I will be installing it this weekend. Give Dennis a call at Central Coast Mustang and tell him Wayne Presley sent you, 661-823-2400. Mine has AFR heads, X303 cam, stack injection, Canton oil pan, melling HV oil pump and Electromotive TEC II engine management system.
6053266-df6a-028001E0-.jpg

G

Looks awesome! Is that F.I. setup hard to setup? About how much did the total engine set you back?

the 342 is a very good engine. The version we use, we changed the power band and moved it up higher in the rpm range. In a mid engine car aspecially one that weighs 2200lbs you don't need bottom end torque because it's hard on gear boxes. We do this with a custom designed cam and free're flowing heads. We just put a 500hp 342 in a RF and will be running at the track at the end of the month.

Wayne, love the set up. Very close to what
I want to do. Did Central Coast do the ECU
programming? Whose manifold are you using?
I've just recently started hearing about the
342 stroker -- is it just a larger rod
over the 331, or more bore, or both? Or, is
it the 347 rod without the .030 over bore?
Gordon, if you have any answers, please share
wink.gif

Ian

G

The motor looks great! I have the same injection system on my 347 that has been modified by Roaring Forties. I have shorter stacks. On the RF the the rear stacks are very close the back window. The CAV use the same trans so the engine placement may be the same which could cause clearance problems with the taller stacks. I am not sure of CAV but the RF and ERA's take the heater conections off of the main water tubes near the front of the car. I have a Ford Racing water pump with screw in conections for the heater hoses which I have capped. You may need a thermostat housing that points down and to the right or left. The bypass hose coming off the housing is capped and there is a plumbed in crossoever at the rear of the manifold with a tee fitting on one side. This is plumbed into the thrmostat housing.

The water neck points down right that comes with the CAV. I'm using a Stewart Components stage 1 waterpump. Ian, I sent you a picture of the manifold and pricing.

Back