Is this a somewhat good idea, or just not
worth the time, energy, and money (although
I figure it shouldn't be a monetary issue
in the grand scheme of things)?

Any thoughts?

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
I am going to do this and highly recommend it. You can screw things into the fiberglass but it will become fatigued after a time. Seems most GT40 makers have not completely addressed this issue and have many parts screwed directly into the fiberglass.

Ron

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Hi Guys,

I came across a magic setup for this the other day - it works like a pop-rivet, but puts a threaded tube through the sheet & locks it just like a normal pop-rivet. I'll find out the details on Monday & let you know.

Another idea/suggestion for those using
threaded grommets/whatever instead of going
straight into the fibreglass:

Use some silicone bead or other waterproof
cement around the grommet/rivet -- if water
gets under the metal and into the bare glass,
you can potentially run into a large problem
with water logged glass. Once you drill or
punch through the glass, some of the fibers
will become exposed.

Just a thought.

Ian

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Peter and all, the threaded inserts are called by various names and are available in most countrys.
They are called rivnuts or nutserts and are fixed with a pop riveting style tool with different sized mandrals to match the threaded portion of the insert. Summit Racing in the US sell them but are a little expensive. I would try the local aviation suppliers as most efficient securing devices have come from this industry. We use these extensively throughout our cars and have proved to be very good.

Best wishes, Robert Logan

G

Riv-Nuts have a web site and a list of dealers. I bought a few different kinds including some that are specificaly for fiber glass (GRP). I bought them for the light box inspection covers but may use them on the side windoes as well.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
If Hershal can get a Riv-Nut setup for US$65, he is doing well - I was quoted A$250 for the tool & a small selection of inserts. As Robert suggests, I think I will look at the aviation industry - even NASA may have something cheaper!!

Back