Unbelievable Boss 429 Mustang

G

Sorry but this isn't about GT40's. I ran into a guy today who invited me to come look at Boss 429 Mustang that he claimed to have purchased from the US Navy! He claimed the car spent most of its life on an aircraft carrier! I thought he had to be full of shi#%#. I went and saw the car today and it was beautiful. It was grabber blue with white. The hemi head 429 engine had an huge blower with top fuel style injection. It also had zoomies sticking out the side. It looked like a top fuel dragster engine in a otherwise stock Boss 429 Mustang. There was also an old picture of it doing a wheelie on an aircraft carrier along with a bunch of articles and documentation. Evidently this was one of ten cars purchased by the goverment during the Vietnam war and was used to boost morale. If a toilet seat costs the goverment $1,000 I wonder what they paid for ten Boss 9's in '69? I am too young have heard about this. Hershel what do you know? Oh, the car had a star on the doors and said "Lawman" I believe. I may go back and take a picture if anyone wants to see it.

Bob,
I remember this team of Service men racing these cars. They were fun to watch.
Here is the link to an interesting story about these cars and the guys who drove them. http://www.people.freenet.de/pony/lawman.htm

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Wow Hershel, I knew I could count on you! That light blue "Lawman" Mustang with the blower is the car that is here in Dallas. I just got back from Texas Motor Speedway where the Nascar Craftsman Trucks were running. The IRL race is tomorrow. I got to spend the last two days in the pits as a guest of Donnie Newenberger who drives the 81 IHOP Chevy truck. My daughter dates his little brother. Eariler today I met A.J. Foyt and he signed the Kirkam hat I won at the dinner at Knotts. You should have seen the look on his face when he went to sign it and Phil Remington's signature was already there. He told me some stories about working with Phil when he raced for Shelby in the GT40's. He also told me that it he was the one who showed Phil Remington how to use the rubber spacers in the springs to raise the GT40 for tech inspection at LeMans.

Real slick Bob !,
I would have never thought to take that hat to the track. It sounds like you had a good time. Now you surely will have to get that phone for that daughter of yours.
grin.gif

I love to hear the stories those guys can tell. I hope next year at knotts they do it again and have some more interesting stories to listen to.

Hersh
smile.gif

Back