Inexperience

G

Having asked the question which car to build and coming to the conclusion that the GT40 is ultimately the only way to go. Then slinking around this forum and noting all the "how do I?" the "more difficult to build than the cobra" and the "i have built a couple of planes". I must say that my confidence is just starting to fade a little.

Can i get some suggestions on how to best judge what level of skills are required to complete one if the kits to the level demanded by the Legacy?

Hi Cubes,
Welcome to the Forum mate! I haven't met an
Aussie yet that didn't exude confidence.
grin.gif

I truly believe that a reasonably intelligent person can build this car. It does take a lot of enthusiasm mixed with a strong will. I'm the type that jumps right in and starts learning as I go. There is a big benifit to having a manual that is easy to understand and a forum as this to help. The people here are always ready to offer their help and experiences with building. Just remember that none of us does all of the work. Some have to have the body work done by pros and some have the interior done by a pro as well. As far as the general build goes it just isn't that hard. Time consuming?, Yes but rewarding. To me, building is part of the fun.
Go for it Cubes, you'll love it!

Hersh
smile.gif

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

G

I agree with Hershel. Just take it a step at a time and read the manual a couple of times so that you have an understanding of how the car goes together. With an understanding of the "big picture" each step will make more sense to you. I see that you are in Melbourne which means you would also have the luxury of having the factory near by if you choose a Roaring Forties. A couple of us that post here are the first ones building that car here in the states. We hope to see some posts from the Aussies that are further along in the build process.

Cubes,
If you want it you can do it. This project is far beyond anything I've done, but that's not going to stop me. Everyone on the site is willing to help with any questions and the rest is up to you. If you want it, do it. You're lucky to be near the RF shop they will help you, but I'm all the way out in Phoenix AZ and you wouldn't beleave the amount of support here for me. It's given me the confedence to tackle this. Again I thank all that are there for me and my dream.
Good luck and enjoy you new ride.

Ron Earp

Admin
Cubes, go to it. I'm one of the RF builders in the states and I'm sure I'm less experienced with building replica cars than the others. I have built car and motorcycle engines, raced a little, and in general have rebuilt or repaired most all parts on a lot of Fords and different make cycles. But I haven't built a replica car.

So far I find it very enjoyable. Its why I created the GT40 sites here and there, I enjoy the folks and the car. I'm slower than the others building, but I'm having a lot of fun and that is what counts. I'm learning a lot and haven't screwed a thing up yet. Just talk to the folks on this board and I think you'll agree, just do it.

Ron

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Cubes, please come to Dromana (if you have not already) and let me show you around one of our cars being built. We have got cars in all states of build at the shop at present and I would be happy to give you a guided tour even over a week end.
The GT40 is a harder car to build than a Cobra just because of the roof but our workshop manual will guid you step by step.
Best wishes, Robert Logan

Back