Securing the rear clip

I remember back in the original forum, Mike
Starling brought up this topic (if memory
serves). Mike, did you come up with a soln?
Wayne mentioned the CAV uses a cable pull
like a regular old hood release.

I was thinking, any way to put either hood
pins or Dzus on top to latch it down?

Ian

G

My rear clip is held with the two catches on the lower edge on each side. The catches I have, have a sliding lock to prevent them from accidently popping open, The front clip is held the same way. I have seen hood pins used as well along the top leading edge. I think some people stick the pins up two high.

G

Haven't gotten that far yet. Given the dire potential if such a thing happened ... I am going to arrange some means to ensure it cannot.

Stands welded to the roll bar with hood pins going thru the rear clip is the least complicated and maybe the most certain way of making sure things are very well secured.

There were some posts on niftier ways to do it, but there were not enough good photos to help me understand how the mechanisms actually worked and could be fabricated.

Would be very appreciative if those that have already dealt with the problem might post their solutions!

photos in gt40 - the legend lives on by john s allen clearly show a number of cars with pins on either side of the rear clip especially the race cars. these are mounted high on the body above and on either side of rear window

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
One of the simpler arrangements that I have seen is to drill through the back of the cabin & through the rear clip about 6" below the roof line on both sides in the area where the back of the doors normally sit when closed. A bolt pushed through the holes then serves 2 purposes :

- With the doors shut, nobody can see (or get at) the bolts.

- With the doors shut, the bolts can not fall out.

This works well with the DRB GT40 that I am building as the rear clip has a fairly strong panel section which comes down parallel to (& fairly close to) the back of the cabin on each side.

G

That is an intriguing idea, but rather than bolts, if I do this, I'll use the pins that have a ring on the end with a push botton that releases a ball in the other end. I have seen them used on Lolas and others in the same places we use the Dzus latches. They insert horizontially, towards the center of the car and extend through a close tolerance hole. When the button is released the ball prevents them from backing out. I thought Pegasus and/or Racer Walsh carried them, but I just looked to get their name and didn't see them.

Lynn

Having lived on a sailboat for several years I can tell you those pins you are looking for are available at most marine supply stores (as a bonus they are stainless). West Marine is where I used to get mine...you can even order from them online. www.westmarine.com

Just as a follow up if you go to the west marine site look under sailboat hardware>>rigging>>rigging terminals>>ball lock fast pins
02212_f.jpg

Back