Driving impressions/comparisons

G

Folks,

Would very much appreciate your driving impressions of the GT40 replica and comparisons with a similarly powered Cobra replica. Gordon Levy got the first what at this in another thread ( Holy Spit ), but wasn't exactly long winded. Must still be in a small state of shock or something.

Those of us who are building slowly need the encouragement to keep going.

Thanks!!!!

Mike, it isn't a state of shock I just don't write long posts. I've been pretty lucky, I had the chance to drive just about everything out there. I race Cobras on a regular basis, vintage Trans-Am and A&B production cars. And every once in a while I get to race a Lola Can-Am car and drive my neighbors XJR15.
Ok, driving impressions;
Cobra; small, light, fast. Not the safest car in the world to race but a lot of fun to drive. With no top it is great on a nice day but on a long trip the wind will beat you up a bit. Properly set up they handle great but are twitchy and a handful to drive well. At high speeds over 150mph the front of the car feels like it wants to lift off the ground and you can feel the air wall from the lack of aerodynamics. If you can suck it up and drive it at these speeds it is a lot of fun like the scariest roller coaster you've evr been on. The sound of the side pipes especially at high revs is like nothing in the world, pure music.
RF GT-40; Compared to the Cobra this is a very civilized car you sit very low almost in a lay down position. The car I have here is right hand drive, I like it but it does take some getting used to. This is a car that is hard to drive slow. At 140mph it feels like you are doing 70. No wind noise but the sound of the engine singing along with the A/C going. Pouring the power on in the 40 is smooth and even. It gains speed very fast but smooth not like the brut the Cobra tends to be, but is accelerating just as fast if not faster. Above 160mph you can feel the aerodynamics really work, the car feels solid and predictable. Still no wind noise just the engine singing along. This is much more a finess car than one you manhandle, precise shifts, smooth steering input. It is truly a joy to drive.
I love my Cobras and I love this 40. Two totally different cars but the fun to me is equal in both. I am truly looking forward to driving the 40 at Willow Springs in a couple of weeks.
This is probably the longest post I ever did. I hope I was able to answer you or give you some idea how much fun it is.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Gordon, you got me fired up all over again ! Serious progess will be made this weekend. 160mph - the mind boggles !

G

This all sounds far too irresponsible and i am sure nothing like this really happens, Right? (Like hell!!!)

Now what i'd really like to see is a comparison of an original 5 litre car stacked up against an RF. That would make interesting reading, particularly if written by an impartial tester. So who has access to an original? Maybe Robert Logan can contact the guy with the original in Aus. I reckon it would be a good PR / sales pitch for RF in general both here in Aus and abroad

Just a thought
Cheers,
RV
cool.gif

Rick, most of the time when I drive this fast is at the track. Sometimes in the secluded parts of the desert in Arizona when noone else is around I'll step it up a few notches but no usually over 140mph or so.

Back