Windshield Trim

G

I was curious what other manufacturers supply/recommend in the way of inner and outer trim for the windshield? Sabre recommends a stock rubber trim that is basically T shaped with an L at the base of the T that extends under the glass. The cross of the T covers the gap between the glass and the body. Even though this material comes in rolls (no formed corners) it supposedly turns the corners without puckering. Not sure what to use on the inside. Do the Aussie windscreens come with inner and outer gaskets? John gets his glass from England which apparently does not come with gaskets. Even though John's position is that the radii of the outboard lower corners of Aussie glass are too large, I would think that the gaskets (if they exist) would work with the English windscreens as well. My assumption is that both types of glass use a "glue in" system for attachment.

Bye-the-way, I plan to make extensive use of rubber well nuts for attachments on the exterior of the body -lexan, mirrors and license plate frame/light. My theory is that these will provide good anchors, absorb vibration and apply pressure evenly to the fiberglass without tending to crack or chip it. I have already mounted a few interior items using these like the overhead map lights. All hardware, where possible, will be stainless, countersunk, allen head screws with stainless finish washers. I am using nylon flat washers underneath for the lexan. Any comments or criticisms gladly accepted.

G

Roaring Forties have extended the glass slightly inorder to use a thinner rubber around the windshield. The rubber is T shaped and covers the edge of the glass and the top of the T covers the top of the glass and windshield frame. Because the glass has been extended the rubber is thinner and gives a nice flush mount look. the windscreen is held in place by adhesive. You can also add a small squared off rubber U channel to cover the edge of the fiber glass that would be visible from inside the car. Roaring Forties has also paid for the tooling for rear glass that replaces the original lexan which gives better optics since you have to look through two pieces of glass that are at different angles.

Hi Lynn

in the UK we fit the Ford Sierra Inner and T shaped outer for the front screen.

Chris Melia

PS. original Gt 40s used no rubber at all.

Back