Aluminium uprights

I would like to produce some Aluminium front & rear uprights as per original Gt40. If anyone has dimension details or clear photo's I would very much like to see them.
I hope some one can help.

G

Hi Paul,

I have a copy of an original J.W. Automotive parts manual. Dimensions are given for nuts/bolts etc only, but the line drawings of all parts, including the uprights, are superb. Happy to share these with you if you think they would be of any use. I believe David Brown at Classic Car Developments here in New Zealand (Ph/Fax 64 3 215 6893) may have original factory drawings of the uprights.

Cheers, Brian.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Brian Stewart ]

G

Gents

I believe some folks in the Cincinatti, Ohio
area ended up with the original molds.
I think I have their number. The story I read
in Autoweek said they intended to sell replacement parts for GT40's (not make kits).

MikeD

Hi Paul

Check out Gardner Douglas alloy uprights from their Lola T70 spider full set for under £500 and they take Ford stubs and disks.

I also have original drawings of the front and rear suspension.
I have alloy rear uprights on my car from John Wisher cost was £400 the pair with Jag stubs.
Frank Cat is also selling alloy rear uprights, Brian Magee has them on his car.

Chris Melia

Hi Brian

Sorry my mistake they are very nice though

PS will you be at Snetterton on the 18 November. Ray and Roy will be there. Hog roast at the club house Saturday Night.

Chris Melia.

Hello, MikeD !
"I believe some folks in the Cincinatti, Ohio
area ended up with the original molds.
I think I have their number. The story I read
in Autoweek said they intended to sell replacement parts for GT40's (not make kits).

MikeD"

Do you still have that number and the article ?
If so i would appreciate if you´d be kind and share the info !
Thanks,
You can Mail me as well if you prefer...

Regards,

G

MB

The gentlemen involved were John Sadler and Bob Wood. They purchased the remaining GT40
assets from Safir in the UK.

Someone recently posted their e-mail address
on the Forum, but I forgot which thread!
Hopefully others will recall where it is.

I'll check the phone number I have and advise.

Regards

MikeD

G

Paul , keep in mind that there were at least 2 different designs for the front uprights on the originals. IMHO the later design looked cleaner/better. The drawing in the parts manual is of the earlier design.

Hello, !

There were of course prototype work.
But production had about:
Magnesium MkI propably two different types
or maybe even three.
Alu MKIII
Alan Mann made some alternations too..
Then they also changed hubs...
Rears had at least 4 different
Change of hubs as well...
Then MkV´s had their own at the front.
And rear although pretty similiar, at least rear.
A MkV is a similiar car as a MkI etc...
Some parts are a like and others are not.
MkII had about the same as the others.
MkIV´s had their own..

Trying to help...

Regards,

I have a set of original Mark I magnesium rear uprights (1 left and 1 right) I also have 1 Safir (I think) mag upright that has brake mounting ears on both sides so that 1 part does right and left - it has been welded up due to a crack. I have been investigating getting castings made around here - pretty easy. The tough part is making the internals. The drive hubs, flanges, splines, etc would be tough to machine from 4340 + heat treating, spline work. I don't have any front uprights but thought cobra parts might work if you built your own 4130 welded upright (not too tough) and used Cobra Restorers bolt in splindle and 6 pin drive. Could heim the top, ball joint the bottom and then make a neat tie rod hook up that allows bump steer and ackerman adjustments. Thinking out loud here....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The Kirkham brothers in Provo Utah will sell their Cobra 427 bits and pieces, their 4130 drive splines etc might fit GT40 uprights. They have some GT40 bits at their shop and they could probably tell you whether they will fit. For a fact, they are in business to sell parts and will sell what they make.

Hello, Jim

Are you sure about left and right ? any pic ?
Most at least, were cast with ears on both side.
some cars also have the calipers in front and others at the rear.
It´s also easier/cheaper to cast them.
MkIII same but cast in Alu.
Safir is not looking the same, especially at the bottom. Any pic ?

Regards,

Hello, Jim Rosenthal !

I was wondering if you might have some contact info to these: The Kirkham brothers in Provo Utah.
To share ?
Thanks,

Regards,

Back