Suspension Coating/Painting

G

Folks,

I know a number of folks chrome or nickel plate some suspension components. Could be a problem with hydrogen embrittlement there I'd rather not discover.

I also understand that a number of folks have powder coated some pieces. How does this hold up? Is there any risk of masking a crack in the long run?

Anyone try something like the Eastwood Titanium paint for this purpose?

Thanks,

Ron Earp

Admin
Mike,

I've chrome and nickel plated things myself using standard industrial mixes. I agree, one some of the small pieces we've done (you can probably guess what I'm talking about) there has been some diffculty with the part becomign brittle if we try to put on a relatively think and durable layer.

However, I don't think this is a serious danger with suspension components given the thickness of most of what I've seen.

As for PC I've just started doing that myself, and while easy to do, I cannot comment on durability.

Ron

I have powder coated a lot of suspension parts through the years and it does work well. Make sure that any bolt holes or threads are taped up.

G

Mike,
As a owner of a chrome shop there is a few trade secrets that we keep to ourselves to get rid of hydrogen embrittlement. We chrome thousands of high stress and tork items,along with street rod, race car suspension components and we have never had any problems.I am in the process of building a GT-40 myself and I am plating all moving parts that will rub or be in an area were they can get chipped.I just finished a 68 mustang and 80% of all suspension is chromed. I put 4000 miles on it this summer and it still looks like it rolled off the show room floor (Chrome is great). If you want to ship your parts here I would be glad to chrome the parts. The only other advise is to really check out the shop who is doing yuor chrome. Please feel free to E-Mail me at [email protected] or call me at 814- 881-6653 EST We arelocated in Erie,Pennsylvania.

Thanks
Chris Waldemarson
smile.gif

Back