Driving impressions part 3

It's Monday morning and have just returned from Willow Springs. It was the Cobra Owner of America Club Fall open track weekend. We took 4 cars, a Hi-Tech Cobra, FFR spec racer, Mustang, and of coarse the RF GT-40.
To give you a little idea of the track it is a 2.38 mile, natural turrain road coarse, That a 90-100mph lap average is normal. In very well prepared Cobra's I've turned lap times in the 1:27 range.
Some of you know we took out the stroker motor out of the 40 and put in a very linier 306 that I could turn higher rev's with. Although it had 100 less hp I liked driving the car much better. I also put a set of Kuhmo Victoracers tires on it but didn't change the chassis at all.
The first session out I was immediately aware that I definately wasn't driving a Cobra. The car stuck much better in the turns. All weekend I was saying it was like driving a Cadillac compared to the Cobra.
I found it takes a very different driving style. At first I was trying to drive it shifting alot and manhandling the car because that it what I was used to. By the third run session I realized that shifting was something that the car didn't need at this track.
Driving Willow in a Cobra from start/finish you are in 4th and down shift to 3rd for turn 1. Hard acceleration from 1 then a hard tap on the brakes for 2 and pitch the car in and through the turn. After it's hard braking into 3 and down shift to 2nd. Run 2nd through 3 and 4 and grab 3rd coming down the hill. At 5 it's hard braking and pitch the car through 5 and hard accellerating over the cresting turn 6, grabbing 4th as you crest the hill. turn 7 really isn't a turn and it is flat on the floor through turn 8. in a Cobra turn 8 for some is 140mph, I have done it faster but it will make you suck up 6 inches of seat doing it. After 8 it's hard braking for the set up into 9 and down shifting to 3rd. Then hard accellerating up into 4th for the long front straight.
Now, driving the 40. There is really no comparisson. From start/finish, the top of 4th gear you wait very late and just tap the brakes and turn in for 1 still in 4th gear. Hard throdle and just a slight lift on the gas for turning in to turn 2, then right back in to the gas. 2 is a very long turn and in a Cobra you are constantly fighting the wheel. In the 40 you just turn the wheel and hold it in position and it drives throught the turn. Coming into 3 it's hard braking and down shift into 3rd then back on the gas through 3,4, and down the hill. At turn 5 just tap the brakes and drive the car through then up the hill for 6 shifting into 4th at the crest. you plant your foot on the floor and hold it all the way through 8. I think I was going somewhere around 145mph on my fastest lap and I know I could go faster. Setting up for 9 you really don't have to use the brakes. just a light tap and turn the car in getting back into the gas, by the apex it's flat on the floor in 4th and just feels smooth as it gains speed on the front stretch. I beleive I reached 160-165mph on the straight. and the car was smooth and stable.
I was only driving the car about 80% this weekend and know there is so much more in her.
Willow is a track that will eat cars alive and the RF didn't miss a beat the entire weekend. I didn't change the set up at all from the standard street set up with the exception of putting a few clicks in the rear coil overs and adjusting tire pressures.
I would like to thank Robert Logan and Roaring Forties for building one of the finest cars I've ever driven and for allowing me the privilage of driving it.

G

Gordon,

Thank you VERY much for the report!

What ewre your good lap times in the 40?

thanks again,

G

Gordon

Sounds like you had a great time, and best of all, nothing broke!

I always assumed the Cobra was better than a gt40 on tight road courses since it's a smaller car, with the 40 having the advantage at higher speed tracks.

I know you haven't had the chance to 100%
wring out the car, but how would the RF40 make out vs a Cobra in a typical weekend autocross that are held on airports or dragstrips or mall parking lots?

Thanks
MikeD

A couple of poeple had stop watches on me but I wasn't really driving for time. The times quoted were in the 1:31-1:32 range with 340hp. I think with a 8000rpm 500+ 306 I feel I could turn 1:23-1:26 range pretty comfortably and still not stress the car. I wasn't going out to set lap records, I wanted to learn the car.
The car does work well on a tight road coarse and I think could work well on an Autocross coarse. I does take a very different driving technique than a Cobra. If you try and drive it like a Cobra you will spin the car. A smoother style will give much better lap times than charging the car.

Ron Earp

Admin
Gordon,

How the the car build quality and feel compared to the average Cobra? Or, maybe not average but whatever you are most comfortable commenting on. I know you build FFRs and probably have a lot of experience with others as well.

As far as living with the car does it feel like a sub-standard car in fit and finish? Does it feel like a well-put-together car? Compared to what?

Just wanting some feedback on driving and using the car in an everyday fashion - I figure when I do use mine on the track it is only going to account for <5% of the total miles on the car, if that much.

Thanks,

Ron

The fit and finish is as good if not better than any high end european sports car. The doors shut with little effert and seal better than many new cars made today. Driving on the street the car is very easy to drive from light to light or just cruising down the freeway. It is quiet enough inside to put a stereo in. With the A/C on it's comfortable on a 115 degree day and you could get stuck in traffic and car doesn't over heat. As I said this is trully one of the best cars I ever driven, and I have driven just about everything out there. I can not classify this car as a kit car because it has none of the classic traits of a kit car. To me this is a high quality replica or reproduction.

G

Gordon

I saw the blue car at Carlisle and agree 100%. The fit and finish of the car was outstanding. No question that the car CAN be built to a high level of quality. My question is what does it take to achieve the
same result as the factory?

I purchased a Build Manual from Factry Five
before buying one of their kits and after
reading through it several times (along with
checking out built cars), I was convinced I
could do it. And I'm very pleased with the
way my FFR kit turned out.

Can prospective buyers of the RF40 purchase a
copy of the RF40 Build Manual as most Cobra Manufacturers offer?
Thanks!

MikeD

MikeD, I am a probuilder of FFR cars and have built over 50. This is a more complexed car. The FFR on the average takes 200 hrs to build while the RF is closer to 600-800 hrs. it isn't that hard to achieve the quality of a factory built car if you take your time, pay attention to detail, and call us if you have a problem. we are here to help and don't mind the phone calls.
unfortunately I am unable to send or sell you a manual. This is because of the intellectual property the manual contains. We do send a manual free of charge to anyone that places an order for the RF-40. if you place an order you will recieve the manual in plenty of time before you recieve your kit to memmorize it.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Gordon Levy ]

G

Gordon

I understand the concept of intellectual property, but I think this policy of
"hiding" how a kit goes together until
you buy one of our kits is old thinking.

I have a hard time understanding what competitive advantage RF may be revealing
by making the Manual available.
I suspect ERA, CAV, etc really don't
care how RF puts their cars together.

Sorry if I sound annoyed. I'm sure anyone that has tried to put something together
with missing or poor instructions can relate.
Especially when it's an automobile!
Thanks

MikeD

Mike, The RF manual is so good that I concider it better than the FFR manual. It litterally contains enough info that a person could fabricate they're own car from the info enclosed. This is why the policy exists. we are currently working on a manual that we can send to prospective customer that doesn't contain all the info needed to build the car but enough to give you a very good idea what's involved.

Mike, I have a couple of ideas on this. I think it can be done. There will be enough room for a couple of small bags, maybe a day or 2. Your wife just cann't pack like mine. On a 2 day trip my wife packs enough for 7.

Gordon

Wouldn't the exhaust have to be re-routed under, instead of over, as they did in the Mark III's?

Bill D
Los Angeles, CA

Guys,
I have looked over this situation and made a few measurements. in the rear area just on the inside of the rear tires and back about a foot there is just enough room for a aluminum box on each side, the box would be approximatly 8 1/2" wide 14 1/2" long and about 18" deep. At this point in my build I see no obstructions. Also the doors are very wide and RF has an insert that fits into side panel of the doors. If you forgo the side insert and build a hinged door that covers this area you can put a pretty large size gym type bag in there.While testing out the seats I noticed that you can put a small bag on the floor under your knees. It did not impede my driving or sitting position.
Perhaps there is someone on the board here that has done these thing and could give us some feedback. I am going to try and do something that will allow me to carry some amount of luggage. I think The car cover should fit under the front clip. I ain't going on any trip overnight without the cover.

Hersh
smile.gif

G

Gordon

Sounds good.
Another question....

For those of us that actually drive our toys
on overnighters, is there enough room under
the rear clam to install a storage box to hold carry on size luggage like the Mark IIs
had? I'm afraid the wife would get tired of holding it on her lap after a few hours!

MikeD

Hi Mike

No, there isn't any room under the rear clam shell to store anything. The Mark III's were longer and a bit taller in teh rear and contained a box to hold nothing bigger than a briefcase. And it got rather warm.

You might be able to get a small overnight case in the front, but it's tight. Remember, the car was never designed as a road car, only for racing.

Bill D
Lod Angeles, CA

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Well we have gone away from "driving impressions " a bit but as regards to luggage space we are working on a luggage box to be fitted above the pedal box which will be made of fibre glass and have a removable leather bag inside it, similar to a panier on a motorcycle. The box would only fit the Roaring Forties GT40 as this area is very different in the other kits. The sugestion of a box in the engine compartment reminds me of the coments in the British press made in 1967 when the "boot" on the MkIII was "capable of keeping your toasted sandwiches warm and nothing else". The keen eyed of you would spot luggage boxes on some of the MkII at Le Mann, this together with the spare tyre was a poor attempt at the French trying to ban the all wining GT40's. The parts catelogue for the Mk III's showed the rear side boxes that Hershal refered to and this stands half a chance if made of blue aspestos but dont eat the sandwiches !!!!!
Best wishes, Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Anymore driving impressions for GT40s out there?

Lynn Larson, that GT40 on the road yet, I know you're around here somewhere...

Anything new Gordon?

R

As mentioned in a previous post I took my RF GT40 turnkey on the" melbourne mille ". This was about 1400 miles and included a climb up australia's highest mountain. The way it just flew up the hills with all that torque impressed all . Hit 125mph a few times but this is a country where 82mph does your licence for a year. Had a real cobra on the event with us and a baggage truck following as the 40 was not the only car low on space.This was over 4 days and I got out feeling good each time even though we covered a lot of twisting back roads. Great event with several from USA participating... regards

Hey Norman,
I was in Australia a few years back around the Alice Springs area. I seem to recall that once you got out of town, there were no speed limits. The roads, while not real wide, were straight as a die for miles and miles. Now that would be a great place to stretch a GT40's legs a bit.

Dave

Back