Tornado vs. GTD

G

In the meantime I collect money to my GT40 kit I'm looking at some different GT40 kitcar manufacturer.
My target was always GTD40 but since CAV more likely will be a turnkey " which I can't afford " and that I don't know so much about the future of GTD40.
My way is that I would like to start with "my low budget" with some basic kit and as the money will be collected more stuff will be buy'd.
To my question:::
I know that RF is a really nice kit and I did mail to RF about the price and solution but havn's get any answer yet.
confused.gif

How about Tornado? any opinion, good as bad?
Same thing about ERA!?
Would I like to drive or build? I would like to build with my solution and with all knowledge everybody have here at GT40s Forum.
And then drive this dream !!
cool.gif

/ Poul

Scandinavia

Ron Earp

Admin
Go to RF's website:
www.roaringforties.com.au

Prices are shown on the webpage, just convert to your currency for an approximation.

That is about all I can suggest for now, I know that Robert Logan (RF's President) is on holiday so you may not get a pricing email until he returns.

Ron

G

Also, awhile ago I posted a question to Andy Sheldon of Tornado (under his new website post) as to whether the GTD and Tornado cars are related as to origin or bits--Andy? Anybody?

TT

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Tom

I did not receive your email but just read your post on the forum.
Although our car is not related to the GTD a lot of the parts used are the same. Our GT40 has been in production since 1989 and many companies have used our product as the basis for their own version.
We have full brochure pack available for $10.
If you need any further info drop me a line.

Thanks

Andy

G

If you are happy with a right hand drive car (like the originals) then consider buying a second hand GTD. Cars are selling between £20,000 and £23,000 (and upwards depending on spec) second hand in the UK. This may not meet your build requirement but is certainly the cheapest way into ownership. Then you can either dismantle and rebuild yourself or just use it and update what you want as and when funds permit. Contact GTD Car Club for more info. At least two cars advertised in last mag issued.

Malcolm

G

To buy a second hand GTD is a good alternative but unfortunately i have to wait some more time to get £20.000 or so.
I'd like to start somewhere now!! Don't have patience to wait...
cool.gif

To buy a second hand kitcar from foreign countries is a interresting matter to.
Especially to Sweden since we can't buy a ready made kitcar like turnkey (not classifyd or registrated).
I don't know how a second hand kitcar is classify as and Swedish Motor-Vehicle Inspection can't give me a straight answer.

Maybe someone here have an answer or experience about this?

/Poul

Poul,

Perhaps someone in the GT40 Enthusiasts
Club can help. They had a KVA for sale on their site recently. It was located some-
where in Sweden. I don't know whether it is sold or not. Maybe you could contact the owner of that car through the club for more
information about registering a car in
Sweden.

Bill

Poul,

The e-mail address of the KVA owner in
Stockholm is [email protected]. It may
still be for sale. It has a 289 with ZF
gear, no price. I beleive the owner's name is Tom Clark. He should be able to tell you how to register a GT 40 replica in Sweden.

Regards,

Bill
DRB GT40/0035
Cobalt Blue Metallic
351 Windsor/400HP/G50
750 Edelbrock

Poul,

I experienced same problem on certifying in Belgium=Impossible.
Result: I took a UK adress and registered car in UK.The only thing is that you need MOT test once a year in UK but its a pleasure to travel with the car anyhow.
Perhaps you know someone in the UK who could help you out if you consider this option.
Good luck....
PS: I also would suggest you to buy a second hand as it really saves you time and money whilst having the pleasure to drive this dreamcar.

G

Of the main kits available in UK the tornado and GTD are the contenders. Tornado is typically cheaper to build but requires more input from you as builder ie I understand that the rear deck requires some bonding of body together which is done for you in the GTD kit. So my understanding is that GTD do more work for you but you pay it. Quality of Tornado is fine from what I have seen.

I do however think that the GTD is a better track or competition car than the Tornado. I have yet to see a Tornado in action at a competitive event and assume that if they were good at that then they would be there beating us GTD guys up. If Andy has an owner who wants to competet they would be welcome to use our club and join in with us. Very welcome.

If you want a road car only and budget is more an issue then Tornado is a good option to consider. However a second hand car will normally cost less than building anyones kit.

Malcolm

Back