Wheel/suspension travel?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
How much front and rear wheel travel, not shock stroke, do most of you guys have,a set up for fast road and medium track duty is the kind of information I am looking for?

Are you referring to the relative spring rate,(i.e how much a given car moves on it's suspension), or the limits of upward and downward travel?
They are separate, and not always related considerations.

Robert Lawrence

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Robert Lawrence ]

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I am looking for the amount of wheel travel.I understand this is going to be different for each car depnding on spring rates.But I am looking for a rough estimates of travel to help me with my possible modifications.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Now that someone has raised the issue, I have often wondered how the car gets by without any "bump-stops" on the suspension - what happens when you hit pot-holes - is it metal on metal (plus a few loose teeth) or can the car cope with these (within reason) ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

G

The AVO coil over shocks on my car incorporates bump stops.

G

Fran,

my car, front travel at wheel, 2-1/2" bump and 1-1/2" droop, 4" total. 300lb spring.

rear travel at wheel, 2-3/4" bump, 1-3/4" droop, 4-1/2" total,350 spring.

I consider this a "road" setup.

the original GT40 that I measured (vintage raced) had about 1" to 1-1/2" front bump travel with about 450lb springs.

you must be asking for bump travel because your not going to change total travel with spring rate?

seem to remember ERA discusses spring rates and such on their site or in their downloadable manual.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Hi Kalun,I just tried to e-mail you and your address did not seem to work.
I think we are in a similar build situation.Give me a call in the evening on 810-575-3103 and I will call you back to possibly solve some of our problems.
Thanks Fran Hall

Because we wanted the possibility of a nice "street" suspension, our stock dampers allow a total of more than 6" of wheel travel at both ends. At 4.8" (street) ground clearance, that gives about 3.5" jounce travel. That still allows lots of wheel travel if the car is lowered to the 4" ground clearance that many like the look of.

Back