Log Book Wanted for Ford GT ?

I am trying to avoid the SVA test in the UK. I have been advised that I should get hold of a log book/registration document for an American Ford GT. Does anyone know where I can get hold of one of these in the UK? If not, can anyone of you guys from the US help ? I would even consider importing an old scrap one if need be. I know in the UK the Customs and Excise decide the amount of import duty to be paid based on the condition of the vehicle. Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

Mark,

Try: Titles Unlimited
U.S. Title Service
International Title Service

With proper ownership documentation, these
companies should be able to supply you with a title, and registration in some cases. You might need to have an address in the USA, but I'm not sure. It would be worth a try.
They all have websites online.
Search Car Titling Services
Best of luck!

Bill

Hi Mark

Go to the Custom Car Mag and place an advert or contact the guy that has the Mustang spares advert. He has advertised Mustang Log Books in the past for £50.00.

Chris

I suppose a question worth asking is ' why do you want to avoid SVA'??

I know that some of the rules are a pain, but most are designed to ensure safety and are therefore worthwhile. A number of GT40 builders have succesfully passed the test, so it is possible, even if some special modifications have to be made just to pass the test, and then changed afterwards.

The SVA rules are tough enough already, and if the authorities think people are deliberately finding ways round them then they will just tighten them up even further and everyone will suffer then!!

Sorry to be a spoilsport but ---- !

Chris,

I agree with your point of view and have already put one car (2.0 16V Westfield) through SVA and in general I agree with the principles of the test (I do not want to start a long discussion on the pro's and con's of the test. The reason for wanting to by-pass the test is that the car I bought was part built and over ten years old (despite never having been finished by the previous owner). Because of this there are several elements of the car which although not adversely effecting the safety of the car, will not comply, i.e. the windscreen doesn't have a kite mark etc (but is a fully laminated safety screen). Having spent a small fortune putting the car right, I don't want to start spending MORE money on parts simply to pass the test. There are thousands of kit cars out there that are pre-SVA yet still judged to be fit for the road with an annual MOT inspection. I guess as a gearbox kart driver and motorcyclist I don't believe the SVA will save my life. The quality of the build rests with the individual.

Anyway guys, thanks for your constructive suggestions. I shall keep you posted.

Ron Earp

Admin
I have to agree. We do face similar circumstances in the states. Yes, some of the rules are there for some "safety", but others are there because of politics and folks flying desks making mandates.

If the car was good enough to be driven in the 60s, when it was made, and it pretty much is the same now then I think it should be allowed. Trying to make these designs meet modern day rules or standards is ridiculous.

I'm a rabid motorcyclst and you can't get much more open on the street. If these are allowed, then basically any car is better, even a kart, and should also be allowed.

If it has wheels and goes where you point it then you ought to be allowed to drive it. Freedom, that is what it is about...

R

[ February 21, 2002: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Absolutely,

I kind of get the feeling that many of our regulations are set by people who have no comprehension of what it takes to build these vehicles or what is or is not safe. The issue of safety is relative - if I choose to ride a motorcycle in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt (which is perfectly legal as long as I wear a helmet)and this is deemed to be 'safe', then why must my GT40 comply with some of these ridiculous (some of - not all) rules in the name of safety ?

Don't get me wrong....I'm not some anti-establishment freak.....it's just as you said Ron....Freedom is what it's all about.

I seem to be on the opposite side of this argument to everyone else!!
I DO agree that some of the rules seem silly and petty, but all the replies to this string talk about safety as if it only affects the DRIVER of the car.

I'm all for freedom if it only affects you as an a individual ( and I agree that this is the case with some of the SVA rules), but some rules are to protect the safety of other road users, and pedestrians ( those horrible people that walk about and get in your way! ) so thats why I have some sympathy with SVA.

I'll probably feel a LOT different when I eventually have to put my car through it!!!

Back