Nitrous ?

Doe sanyone have any experience of fitting Nitrous onto an engine ? A friend of mine has a brand new kit to fit a V8 with a four barrel Holley (perfect for my car)which he just wants rid of.

Should I avoid this like the plague ? I have to admit I'm tempted to give it a try as it will be free of charge ! The last thing I want to do however is screw up my engine !

Any thoughts anyone ?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think you are moe likely to screw up your transaxle or halfshafts. I suppose it might be fun, but even a large nitrous supply doesn't last long, Ithink it's more for drag racing cars or stoplight racers.

G

Personally, I have no interest in a power adder that is only available a few seconds at a time. It makes perfect sense in a car built for drag racing. While anyone is free to do this with a GT40, I suppose, to me it just seems a little heretical. And, I am by no means a slave to historical precision.

Mark
If you want to research the laughing gas some more there are several good articles in mags such as 5.o Mustangs and Superfords. They had an article in their August 2001 issue called Laughing Class that outlined several kits and prices. Around 600 to 800$$. Most of the Mustang mags outline that kind of stuff regularly. Lots of luck
Bill

Stay away from the NO2. Hard on the engine and it's only for very short periods of time. ie drag racing. You may want to consider supercharging if your looking for more power.
IMSA
cool.gif

ok, engine wise, i dont think you will have any issues. the transaxle will be different. depending on the size of the shot will be the focal point. basicly, its a rated amount of hp, but the torque will vary with the engine build. so if you are close to the limits of the gearbox, dont try it. my attitude is this, its your car, you decide. if it were mine, i wouldnt even think about doing it at all.

Thanks to all for your replies !

This is the beauty of this forum-a chance to benefit from the experience of others. Laughing Gas kit will remain firmly on my mates shelf !

Although you've already made the wiser
decision, you would also need to consider
how your engine is built, and this goes
for all power-adders. All forged internals
for survivability is a must!!

Ian

If your interested there is a good article in theMarch issue of Hot Rod mag."New NOSzle revolutionizes EFI nitrous. ITs meant for the Mustang croud but looks like it would work on the 40's.
Bill

Back