Twin tank/fuel pump set-up

My GTD is fitted with twin tanks & twin electric fuel pumps. The pumps are selected by a dashboard switch to run either pump sigularly, or both off.

This seems a bit daft to me, as draining one tank would un-balance the car.. I thought the idea would be to run both pumps at the same time, giving good fuel pressure to cope with engine demand??

What set-up do you guys run?

Julian, after a lot of development work we have a fuel system that works very satisfactorily on the GTD, but is very different to the standard build. Talk to me for details, or see Andrews or Robins cars.

G

Hi Julian

You have the standard GTD set up. I also have the same on my car. If you run a holley it is fine and you switch between tanks to keep a balance. If you run both pumps simultaneously you will get one tank draining before the other as the fuel consumption surprisingly is less than what the two pumps together can supply but it is impossible to balance the filter kings so that the take on each tank is identical.

However if you are going to keep your foot buried for a long blast then what happens is that the two fuel bowls on a holley drain when supplied by only one pump as the pump cannot refill them fast enough. This only happens on very long fast straights ie Mulsanne type behaviour! To get over this have another switch on you dash to connect the two pumps together for when required say at track days or other competition.

When you run injection or webbers you are entering different territory and you will need a lot of mods, none of which are difficult but also the fuel pumps that you have now will be no good. Swirl pots, fuel returns and balancing pipes between tanks can all be used depending on exact set up.

Malcolm

Back