Building an EFI engine

Greetings fellow owners and wannabes,

My name is Mark and my first post will be to forward all of you some info I put together on an engine management system.

I'm building a 351 for my ERA that has been stroked out to 427. I have found the Hilborn EFI unit (8 stacks) to be most appealing and the Electromotive control system to offer the most. Yes I want closed loop O2 and knock sensing.

Here's the pricing and other info for the Electromotive TEC III system.

ECU 1850
harness 160
4 coil direct ignition 280

sensors

MAP 70
water temp 27
manifold temp 27
O2 75
knock 65

EEPROM firmware upgrades

outputs
8 - dedicated injectors
4 - general purpose (fan switch, A/'C cutoff at WOT)
1 - 4 wire idle speed control
4 - A/D (Wheel spin sensor?) I could hack some traction control into this if they weren't about to release a unit for T/C

All this and the technical dude said I can stop buy the factory, buy it there and milk them for any technical information I might need. And they're only 30 minutes away!

Anyone else in the Northern Virginia area building anything fun?

Mark

Mark,
Are they still selling the 4 coil unit as two two coil units. I wonder why they are doing this. It would be nice to have either option. Let me know what you think about the TEC III hardware and software.

I am planning on building my own drive shaft torque system with digital RF communication as the currently available units are over $3k. The output could be run into the TEC III and you would then have a rolling dyno. Would be great for tunning and observing the effects of engine changes, etc.

Gary

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: CCX33911 ]

Back