Good book for people interested in scratch building cars

Given the talk of scratch building GT40's and modifying suspension setups, I have come across a good book by Allan Staniforth called "Race and Rally Car Sourcebook : The Guide to Building or Modifying a Competition Car" 4th addition. This gives a very practical approach to designing cars in general and specifically race cars. Given I had to cancel my Ultima project I am now scratch building a bike engined open cockpit Le Mans style car. This book is an invaluable aid. Allan also runs a suspension design/setup service called "Terrapin Services" and he is helping me with my design. Alan is based in the UK (where I originate from) but is willing to work Trans-Atlantic via phone/fax/email. His rates are very reasonable given the expertise and experience he brings to a project.

Paul,

It is not only a good book... it is the bible for car builders...!

It is really useful to know that Allan Staniforth is available for when the going gets toughh[sic]... thanks

Neil

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Neil Strenge ]

I'll make sure that ends up in my motorsports library collection. I would also put in a good word about Carrol Smith and pretty much every book he has ever written. I own Engineer To Win and Tune To Win and find them to be excellent reference sources.

I forgot to ask...what problems did you encounter that forced you to abandon your Ultima project?

Also forgot to mention that Carrol Smith still seems to enjoy consulting on projects, although I would imagine his rates are pretty steep.

Mark, its a long story but basically Canadian customs wouldn't let it into the country. The scratch build project I am on now was next on the list after the Ultima so it just got bumped in priority. Probably will be more fun anyway and better handling.

Back