GT40 Article in "Performance Ford" Magazine

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
There is a nice article in the latest (Vol 2, Edition 3) of this Aus/NZ mag on Jim Struck's DRB (and some top pictures). Nothing on their website (www.perfordmag.com) yet, so I can't pinch any pics !

Jim's car was one the first 10 DRB's produced & he spent about 4 years building it. The result is simply outstanding ! It is also in virtually the same colour scheme that I am planning for mine.

Co-incidentally, there is also an article on a 302w Falcon, fitted with the same DC&O 8-throttle body FI that I am planning for mine (also the same as Robert Logan uses in his injected RF's).

If only I could do a cut & paste on their pics, I would be able to see my car as it should look in a year or so from now !!

Peter D.
smile.gif

G

Peter, First thank you very much for the help with the Glisten. I am waiting for the Artisan Polish to arrive. In addition to having DRB uprights on my car, the engine was an overrun engine from the Falcon 5.0L line. It was advertised as having a "Cobra" block. It appears that this means an upgrade to the pistons and cam. As best I have been able to determine, the cam is supposedly a little "hotter" than the Explorer cam that is sold here as a mild upgrade on a 5.0. I was also told that the heads were stock Mustang GT heads. Other than that the usual stuff. It did have some cute shortie headers with some very strange bends in them that I always figured were for the Falcon specifically. Is there any definitive documentation on what the Falcons came with? I bought the engine from Ford in 1999.

Regards,

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Lynn, we haven't had a Cobra badged Falcon here for over 10 years - I think they all came with the basic 302. I recent years, a company called Tickford have been offering high performance options, but I think that they use their own heads & headers. My engine is from a '95 Mustang - that's all I know at this stage. Once I get closer to working on the engine, I'll have to do some research to find out what I've got & what to do with it !

Sorry I can't help more.

Peter D.
smile.gif

Lynn. On the back of Peter Delaney's post and with apologies to Ron for a lack of GT40's theme. OZ is now going to export cars to the US. The chairman of GM North America has chosen the two door Monaro to be rebadged and sold in the US as the NEW Pontiac GTO and provided it is not tampered with before arriving on your shores I think will be a VERY welcome alternative.

G

Peter, It is not that the Falcon was badged as a cobra. Indeed, it was only in talking to Ford Motor Sports on the phone about another aspect of the engine that I learned that it came from an over run of Falcon engines. So I am only asking what was the configuration of the Falcon 5.0 as sold in Australia. FMS in describing the engine only said that it had a "cobra" block and standard Mustang GT heads. So, I only hoped to find out just what Ford meant by the term "cobra" block by finding out what a Falcon 5.0 had in it.

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Peter,

The injection system we use starts off as a set of DC&O castings. We then make our own shafts, our own butterflys and all of our own linkages.

Best wishes,

Robert

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Sorry Robert - I forgot to mention that your FI system is based on DC&O castings, but with all your own other bits.

BTW, what would the lead time be between ordering a full setup (with MOTEC) & delivery ? Having now finished the fuel delivery system, I am starting to feel the urge to connect it all to something !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D
smile.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Lynn, I am a total newbee when it comes to Ford engines - the beast sitting in my car is a complete mystery (which I will solve).

That's what you get for being focussed on Chev S/B Blocks for the last 10 years ! My '71 'Vette started as an S/B Auto, but somewhere during the monster renovation, I decided on a B/B Manual. The car has been changed from L to RHD, so the "originality" issue is a fairly dead duck here. Chevs, I know a bit about, Fords, I will learn about !

Perhaps one of the other forum guys in Oz knows a bit of the history of 302's in Falcons ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.
smile.gif

Lynn,

The Ford Falcon can be every car to every man so comes with a variety of engines, not to mention engine tunes... from 6 cyl taxis all the way to a HiPo fully kitted 302 sports car built by Tickford. If you give me more information about the engine, I could probably fill you in as to which one you have.

Chances are though, if you have an aluminium head crate engine, its probably the 220Kw (320hp) engine that was used in the Tickford Falcon TS50. Many journalists descibed the engine as very willing and responsive, with a wide power band and an exhaust note to die for.

Its direct competitor in our market though is a (GM) Holden with a Chevy Gen II SB engine, which placed the Falcon a little down on power in comparison. Tickford have since responded with a more powerful larger capacity SB engine, hence the overstock that you have bought.

Hope this works

Tickford

This site will give a little more information on the Tickford Falcons.

[ July 05, 2002: Message edited by: Chris L ]

Ron Earp

Admin
Lynn,

Take a look at the head castings. If you have a E7 in the number you've got standard iron SB Ford castings good for 225hp US rating. In the US, there is no difference on the motor internals below the heads except for the cam. In 91 US cars switched to cast pistons which of course aren't as good as the forged bits they replaced. CR was around 9:1 on all these motors, regardless if they appeared in Cobra Mustangs or 5.0L Mustangs.

Ron

G

Chris,it is definitely not a Tickford. It has iron heads described in the Ford speck sheet as stock Mustang GT heads. It came with a standard 89-93 upper and lower intake, albeit turned around compared to US cars as were the fuel rails. The throttle body was just a bit different than the stock US/Mustang model and 62mm (since changed.) It has a short, T-bird style, reverse rotation water pump and a flex plate for an automatic. The only other thing weird was that the purge solenoid (to pull vapor from the charcoal canister which is in place on my car) had only a single wire from the engine harness- as if it drew it power from somewhere else. The shorty headers, as mentioned, had some strange curves to them as well. It was billed as 225hp with 9.0:1 compression, hypereutectic pistons and the so called "cobra block" with front sump oil pan.

I am guessing that this was the run of the mill 5.0L for the Falcon. What I am really curious about is the cam. I think it is similar to the "Explorer high torque hyd. roller cam." But, I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks,

Back