lap times

With all the various engine/tranny/tire/brake combos that people run in GT40s (especially the replicas), there's no such thing as a standard GT40. So I doubt you'll get much useful information from this request...
frown.gif

The demo RF I had I took to a Cobra owner club weekend at Willow. On 16" Kuhmo's driving about 75% with 340hp I was turning pretty consistant 1:27's. And the car did it so easily. I have raced Cobra's out there for years and it takes a very high hp and well prepared car to turn those lap times.

i would be very interested to hear of any lap times achieved at willow springs or streets of willow in a gt40. has anybody run there with a timer? thanks

I am a panty waste driver and on Hoosiers can run mid 1.40s.Mid 1.30s would be a good time for most, even aggressive and experienced drivers. I remember watching and timing Gordon a couple of trips back. I got him in the low 1.40s with an open track. I must of missed him running faster. Just for reference I am not an ex race driver, just an enthusiast/builder and have run at Willow Springs about 10 times with the Cobra Club.

For us non-USA-ers, can you describe the nature of the Willow Springs track. Is it a fast sweeping track or tight and slow.

When you say that mid 1:30s is a good time, what class of car are we talking about? Mums shopping trolley? Souped up 'vette? Indy car?

I'd be very interested to know.

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Chris L ]

Willow is one of the fastest tracks around. It is 2.38 miles, the fastest turn is taken at 160mph or so and the slowest is about 60mph. My lap times really depend on the car I am driving. If it someone elses car I really don't push it to hard. Is a Cobra with an injected cup engine on slicks I have turned a mid 23. In a FFR with 500hp, proper chassis set up and DOT's I can turn a consistant 27. Done a 19 in a Can-Am car and 29-30's in a vintage Trans-Am car. It is one of my favorite track to drive.

chris do a search for willow springs you shouldnt have any trouble finding it. they have track maps, lap records and a very good description of a hot lap.

Back