body options

hey all , just a little confused! era sells fr AND rr flares a la car 1075 gulf car, for 2k. did the car really have flared front fenders? then RF sells rr 1075 flares for $300 a pr or a mk2 rr clip for 400 unfitted or 1600 on a turnkey car can anyone shed some light on the flare/rr clip issue?

G

Robin in our club flared his own rear wheel arches from a standard rear clip so he could get the larger width tyre in. I doubt it was a cheaper option over buying a moulded flared clip if starting with a blank peice of paper but it most likley was cheaper than ditching an existing clip he already had. Obviously needed a respray after the work was done.

Two things to note from his experience.

1. Where the sill panels mate up to the rear clip, he also had the curve at the rear of the sill panel altered to suit. If you don't do this then yoiu get quite a radical angle of rake on the curve back to the standard body line which you may not think looks right. So it may be more of a rear clip plus adapted sill panels that are required to accurately eminate 1075.

2. Now he runs these wonderful monster Blue Streak Goodyear tyres and also big Hoosiers (neither of which are road legal!) he can't run the car onto his trailer without putting a spare set of narrower front tyres on the rear giving the rear track a reduction in width. So there is a practical issue to consider if you intend to trailer to meets. In UK we have controls over trailer widths and 40's and the widest trailers only just marry up in normal width mode.

There are pictures of Robin's car on the club website at
www.gtd40club.co.uk

which show how it could look if you did the same. Robin had a good job done and if I ever got round to a respray of the car I would consider it then for my own.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Scott,

Comply with all Malcolm has said but there is the HUGE tooling cost of making a new rear buck. We offer the rear flares to be fitted at the time of build and not after the spraying has been done. The flare kit includes two wheel arche extensions and two sill spats (as Malcolm explains).

The flares are to make the rear of the car look "fat" as the younger generation say !!

The MkII never had rear flares and therefore we do not make any. The difference between the supply and the supply and fit prices is due 100% to paint price.

There is a small flare on the front but is hardly noticeable and we do not make such a thing but I would be happy to make them if requested.

I will post some photographs of the MkI with flares when it is painted in about a months time.

Best wishes,

Robert

As an American not far removed from youth
wink.gif
, I'd say the car looks "phat", flares or not.
grin.gif
Other popular expressions I'm sure would be heard upon seeing a GT40 roar past (especially by me, maybe slightly outdated):

"Man, that's a TIGHT ride."
"That car is all that and a bag of chips!"
"Daaaaaaamn!"
"Somebody get me a clean pair of shorts!"

I'm sure there's more, but I've not had my MTV for awhile now
rolleyes.gif

I wish I'd looked around for more of the GT40s and other cars more while I was in London for the fall of '99, although I did see my fair share of Ferraris, Lambos, etc, just sitting on Baker St and Marleybone.

I'm from Indiana, the home of the Hoosiers, but I was aware of the basketball team well before the tires, thanks to my folks. What Hoosier tires aren't street legal, and why? I was looking forward to having some on my GT40 someday~

-MaTT

G

I'll pass on your message to Robin and let him know his car looks "phat"! He'll be real chuffed!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

The Hoosiers that are not street legal are those that come with no tread and are called slicks! With all the rain we get here, tread is kinda important.

Malcolm

Matt...

Wow...

"I wish I'd looked around for more of the GT40s and other cars more while I was in London for the fall of '99, although I did see my fair share of Ferraris, Lambos, etc, just sitting on Baker St and Marleybone."

I've lived in London for a good proportion of my life, and you don't often see Ferraris or Lambos on Baker Street... usually just 3.5 Million tourists asking for directions to Sherlock Holmes' house and Madam Tussauds...the Lambos don't like following red buses at 2mph... but the traffic wardens, and speed cops just luv 'em!

And as for Marleybone.... is that where Bob used to hang out when he was feeling horny!

Sorry... couldn't resist it!... its really Marylebone... us Brits have to get our own back just very occasionally...

Neil

Back