California smog rules?

i figure someone could answer these basic Qs

1. can you register a replica as the year it pretends to be??
2. can u put up to a 427 in it or have them liberal hippies who deserve to die limited that to a 289?(sorry i hate hippies)

SB100 was passed last year. It allows a
kit car to be registered for the year it represents or the year of engine that it has. It's your choice. They allow the first
500 cars to be registered this way.
Contact the California DMV for further and more accurate details http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm
Hersh
smile.gif

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Hershal Byrd ]

Andrew
I assume that Hershal knows you are from California. If your not, check out how "anyone" in your state did it. It varies from state to state. In Ga. for example the rules can work for you. "If" you can find a police officer who will "signoff" on the fact that you are "rebuilding" a say.....67 Ford GT40. (Which you are if you are modifying the kit, its' wiring, suspension, or framework, or you are tearing down the car to make improvements before the final build.) Then you can register the car as an antique automobile,(67)which puts you in that year for emissions. Kind of neat
rolleyes.gif

Bill

Andrew-

As Hersh pointed out, SB100 was passed to allow kit car builders the option of registering their hand built cars by the year of the car (as stated on the MSO), or by the year of the engine (the date code cast in the block). SB100 limits the number of hand built cars to 500 per year. This being the first year, there are still ~250 available certificates.

If you are in CA, it is a breeze now that the local DMV offices know about it. At the beginning of the year, it was a nightmare as the local DMV offices had no clue to the bill.

The process is simple, but time consuming:

Go to the DMV with all your paperwork and receipts
Ask for a SPCN #.
Get SPCN# and make an appointment with the BAR
Give the BAR tech your SPCN# paperwork. He will check the smog readings. It will undoubtedly be classified as a gross polluter by CA standards. He will put a smog exempt certificate on your car.
Make an appointment with the CHP to obtain VIN. Note: car must be painted as the VIN contains all the car's information (color, engine type, etc.). CHP will put VIN tag on car (usually not where you want it).
Go back to DMV with all paperwork and receipts. Pay BIG ASS fee (tags and taxes from receipts). Get registration and go for a ride.

Hope this helps

Bill D

CA DMV

thank you, extremely helpful. atleast those hippies didnt limit the good fun of driving fast with THE car

about having the engine registered for that year, does that mean the block or the whole engine?? i had planned to get a 60s 427 block and add some of the newer technology to squeeze a little more economy, so i can go back and forth to places

Andrew,

I live in Cali...I have a 428 Cobra registered as a SPCN but smogged as a 1964. Casting number on the 428 is C4AE. The ref. has to be able to verify that, then you are all set.

On the GT40, I got the car registerd in Alabama through a title company first. All they need is couple of hundred bucks and now you have a piece of paper that says this is a 1964 Ford GT. You can now walk in to any DMV and tell them nothing about a kit car!!! As far as they are concerned, you are bringing a 1964 ford from Alabama to Cali

My Gt40 is now registered as 1964 Ford GT

A little bit of poking around on the Cobra and kit car forums demonstrated to me that several states' DMV departments are onto that outfit in Alabama. Their titles don't pass muster in Massachusetts, for example.

Mark-

CA no longer honors those title companies either.

The GT40 can be smogged under SB100. Whatever the year on the MSO is the year the car will be smogged to.

Bill D

Snellevill Bill: I entered your new email incorrectly in my address book. I have some questions how we need to register our cars in our state. Need more specifics. email me with your new address. "chipperb"

Just my opinion.....no such thing as :can't happen".

California states 1962 or older vehicles are the only ones that can have black plates. Well ..BS.. I have black plates on the back of my 1965 GT40. If you look hard enough, you will find a way.

Albama title may be out of business. There are many many other ways to get your car titled as 1965,66,67 so you never have to see a ref.

Buy a none running but registerd old Ford (for $500)and take a loooong look at that Vin number.......

You just have to be creative

wink.gif

I had black plates on my 65 Mustang. They were original to the car & I bought it in 1984.

before the black plates they had yellow plates - seems like those would be the ones that would be on 62 or older vehicles.

Andrew. be careful in what you take for truth. 10 years ago I registered my first GTD 40 as a 1965 SPCN. In those days they were not issuing model years to SPCN registrations. However my current GTD is also registered that way. With the new laws you should not have to do affadavits of originallity and verifications of year of manufacture like I did. You want to be sure that you have a clean, honest title so that you maintain resale value and so that your insurance carrier will pay if necessary. If your insurer suspects a fraudulent title they could refuse to honor the policy.

thanks 40bud but i should let you know, if/when i get a GT40, i want you to feel sorry for the poor soul who tries to make me give it up. i live to own that car...even if it is only a replica, it will be one hell of a 427 replica

I move out of Cali 9 years ago. In New Mexico in Santa Fe there are NO smog laws, you can do pretty much what you want. And the keep the back roads new so you can have loads of FUN!!

Back