Exhausts - where are they ??

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
As the other thread seemed to be heading in the wrpng direction and its title was not specific enough I thought that I would start again.

Like many I find that I am waiting for an exhaust system from Kustom Metal Werks and George.
I spoke with him yesterday and he seemed somewhat warey for very good reasons. I asked him if he had seen the threads as regards the lack of delivery of systems and he told me he had. I asked him where the systems were and when he intended delivering them to their owners. His answer I had heard before was that they are with the ceramic coating people and that he expects that the will be with their owners by "the end of this month ". He also told that he had told the EIGHT outstanding customers that this was the case ( he had phoned them ). I for one was not phoned and I hope that he has phoned some of you out there. Please contact me to confirm or deny the contact !!!!

On the matter of my adaptor plate he stated that he has not sold or copied my work but more alarming to me was that he categoracily denyed that he had contacted one of my customers trying to get other parts. I have no reason to believe that my customer would have lied to me and he would have had to have a VERY fertile imagination to even make up such a story.

This denile has led me to believe that George is full of s*** and that we are unlikely to get our exausts that we have payed for ( I exchanged the adaptor plate for the exhaust ). If you are reading this George , pull your fingure out and fulfil your obligation to all of these people and tell the truth about what is going on.

As regards to John Hester, I thank him for his post on the other thread and I believe he is as good as his word and further I wish him luck with his cars.

Best wishes to ALL,

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Personally, I hope this doesn't come to the prediction above but at this point I am uncertain.

George has attempted to contact me but I was already in bed asleep. However, I will try to get back in touch with him. As I learn more I'll post on this thread.

However, I would seriously like to know how many people on this forum are affected by GT40 exhausts from Kustom Metal Werks?

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,
Put me down as one. I think. It's been so long I can't remember but I'm pretty sure I was one of the many that got suckered.
John

G

Guys,

Let's not confuse being slow (and not be being responsive about it) with potential theft of intellectual property or reverse engineering.

George does delivery lovely stuff ... when he delivers it. We'd all be a lot more comfortable if he were faster on the delivery, and a lot more responsive to queries about late parts.

On the other issue, I heard today that Kennedy Engineered Products is evaluating the delivery of a SBR to Getrag adapter with complete clutch assembly ... so it seems untoward to make this kind of accusations just yet.

The RF guys are super sensitive to the latter issues, and very careful not to support builders of other cars. (The wouldn't even qote a pair of seats last year.) I personally find that to be unfortunate as I believe that a more open field is desirable to draw the large crowd of folks who have completed Cobras and would move to a more complex and prettier car. RF is making a business decision based on their beliefs about the market. I hope they are wrong!

G

Robert Logan

Is it true RF sells partial kits in Australia? Or is that a falsehood?

Thanks

MikeD

This thread got me to thinking about finding a second source for headers/mufflers. Has anyone at the builder/dealer level (AKA Gordon, Peter, or Robert), thought about approaching one of the header manufacturers in the U.S. about making them?

-Bill

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Hi everyone

Why are you all having problems getting Headers?
We supply full x over systems in both 1-1/2" and 1-3/4".

Andy- Tornado

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Andy, you are starting to sound "southern".
You all is spelled "y'all". Remember that the original GT40 DNA includes substantial amounts from North Carolina, and that Texans talk like that too.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

one company that i have worked with in geting a header for my other car is Hot Shot in CA. There were some fit and finish isues but they were solved after the second production run.
They do a number of headers for cars that don't normaly have headers produced.
their web site is www.hotshot.com

I am currently talking with 2 race header builders. I am seeing if they can build a system that would be cost effective for these cars.
Andy, All cars are not created equal. What fits one may not fit another.

G

I am about a week away from the one year anniverary of waiting for my exhaust system. I have the primary tubes and an exhaust heat shield, but no collectors on back. I have tried to call him and he has not returned my calls. I have been told he is there but when I mention my name he us suddenly not there.

The coater that he has mentioned is Miro-Coat in California. They claim they have no GT40 systems there from George Cockran of Kustom Metal Works.

The quality of the parts I did receive is excellent, but George if you are reading this you need to tell us if we are all goiing to get screwed so that we can then have your work copied by a reputable shop.
mad.gif

G

I just wanted to report that I did receive my muffler and heat shield back from George within the last couple of days (I was in California, so I am not exactly posititve.)

Does it look like the work is starting to roll out from George?? I hope this is being brought to as amiable a conclusion as possible.

Lynn

G

I just wanted to report that I did receive my muffler and heat shield back from George within the last couple of days (I was in California, so I am not exactly posititve.)

Does it look like the work is starting to roll out from George?? I hope this is being brought to as amiable a conclusion as possible.

Lynn

G

Excuse my ignorance as far as the problem with George and his exhausts. I thought all the GT40 kits came with a complete exhaust system. Would some one clear this up for me.

Not So Malcolm, You can purchase some kits with whatever you want in , or whatever you want left out. When I bought my GTD, (and I know you can do this with Tornado), you could purchase just the frame and body shell. I did this with the intent of utilizing some used parts like a transaxle, and upgrading other items like brakes and suspension during the build. Brian

Ron Earp

Admin
That is true, they can all come with an exhaust system but some of us choose to *intelligently* decide that we could get our own made in the US for less money. Hmmmm..... one wonders about that decision, now don't we?

Anyhow, I have it that George has until the end of the month before action will be taken by a group here in the States. It would be nice to hear a professional reponse from him on the forum with respect to the entire situation. He is a member and he does know where the forum is.

Ron

Ron,
It wasn't so much for the price saving, but because the pipes he makes are beautiful.
Then again the empty spot if last years check book is kind of going to taint that picture. He said the end of the month (1 more day) but when I called to give what seems to be my bi-daily countdown of days left he said mine would be the 12. Stupid me I forgot to clearify which year this March 12 "delivery" day was actually in. Come pipes or check this better be over by the 12. Theft is theft and I for one will definatly get the lawers involved, by March 13 if need be. Let's hope not. The pipes sure are pretty!
John
confused.gif

G

I know very well what pleasure is derived from building a car from a kit, however when one has trouble with parts, it can sour the whole experience. I would like an honest estimate on what the true cost on builing a kit(gt40), from start to finish. This would not include the engine, however it would include any special tools that have to be purchased.
Having anything to do with people like George just adds to the exspence. I would take a look at mail fraud, and let the local DA handle it.

G

Malcolm

I don't believe one requires any more skill
or tools to build a GT40 kit than a Cobra.
The main difference is that the parts cost
is higher, and the hours required to complete
is higher. The cost will depend on how much you do yourself (assembly vs bodywork vs engine building vs paint)as well as the component costs, which also vary quite a bit.

It's obvious that we have a vast spread of
skill/budget levels on this forum, so the
answers will range all over the place.
NOT including engine and trans, you can spend
anywhere from $ 25k to $ 60k for the kit.
Engine and trans costs can cover a HUGE range, from $ 5k to the sky is the limit.

That's what makes component cars so much fun.
As the owner/builder, you cater the vehicle
to your tastes/budget, but we digress from the original thread.

There is a difference between poor business
practices and outright fraud, although the
stress and aggravation can feel the same.
George did contact me this week, and I am
cautiously hopeful that something will happen. He does do nice work.

MikeD

Back