Review of GT40 Replication Ltd

Okay, I have to make this kind of quick, but here goes.

I received my GT40 kit from Phil Ware at GT40 Replication, Ltd. in Auckland, New Zealand in early November. It is the first example of his work in the states, and the first left-hand drive version, period. Since I received it the car has mostly been sitting under a tarp while I built a living space in the ex-body shop I am renting. I recently finished unpacking and disassembly of the car and am finally in a position to comment fully on the (very high) quality of Phil's workmanship.

I ordered the following:

Basic kit
LHD
Explosafe (in tanks)
Fuel tanks (baffled)
AC console (controls,etc)
Wheel adaptors & spinners (pin drive)
Sidescreen hinges & latches
SS coolant tubes (welded in place)
Filler caps
Bonnet catches
Double glazed firewall screen
Sidescreen apertures
High level stop light
Door handle assemblies
Rear grille set
Wiper mechanism (no motor)
Door hold-down brackets
Bell housing Ford/Renault
Sandwich plate
Trans output flanges
Input shaft (for gearbox, installed)
Door seals
Dash covered in vinyl
Clutch mechanism
Koni shocks & springs (custom valved)
Hard lines (brake and clutch)
Wiring loom
Extra windscreen
Transaxle (refurb)
Cladding and firewall
Aluminium filler boxes
Wiper motor
Motor and trans mounts
Swaybars
Shift linkage
Radiator
Rearlights
Rad fans
Shipping + docs (lone container)

Phil arranged the shipping for me.

All of that, plus customs and delivery to my door, was $29K. That's based on the exchange last summer when I ordered the car. I don't know if prices have changed at all in the interim.

The car arrived with the steering and suspension loosely installed. Aluminum panelling was pre-bent and fitted, held in place with tape. The bottom of the car is totally flat, covered by three aluminum panels. The front and rear clips were mounted, roof section pre-fitted to work with the windshield, and doors were hung and adjusted.

Fuel tanks were in place. The brake lines were pre-bent and fitted with most mounting holes already drilled and clamps in place. Coolant pipes are stainless and run up the spine of the chassis. The dash, tubs, and center console shipped in place. The transaxle and bellhousing arrived in a crate, and all the glass and acrylic are in a separate carton. The car was brought over in its own container.

I have removed both clips, the rocker covers, all the aluminum, suspension, and steering, dash, console, doors, and tubs. The chassis is burly. It looks great. Well triangulated. There are even weld nuts in the hard to access places. The clip and door hinges are sensible and fully adjustable. The suspension is rose jointed everywhere there is non-planar motion, and uses
polyurethane bushings and sealed linear/spherical bearings at the inboard ends of the wishbones. The spindles are set up to take Wilwood calipers, the front rotors are vented and slotted, and the rears are solid. The chassis is configured for a Wilwood two-pedal assembly with bias bar.

The fiberglass work is superb. Very heavy layups with reinforcement bonded in. No sign of print-thru. The mold lines are straight and even where they haven't been ground out and filled. There are even wires for a dome light bonded into the roof section. Pretty cool.

The aluminum paneling is beautiful. There are both welded and intricately folded bits. I really can't say enough about the amount of work that went into these pieces. I'm pretty sure you could just take the paneling as it arrives, throw some clamps on it and start drilling and riveting. It is very very nice. I am told that the panelling has been redesigned since I received my car, and that it is even better now. Perhaps Neal could comment soon.

All the custom bits like door handles and filler caps show excellent workmanship as well. Nicely polished and ready to go. The fuel tanks are very cool. They are notched around the roll hoop tie-ins and are very large. The roll hoop itself is bent round tube with heavy duty supports angling
back into the engine bay. The car came with a copy of the FIA homologation for the hoop.

The suspension bits (wishbones, trailing arms, etc.) are nicely welded and very stout looking. The trailing arms have a left hand thread one end to make adjustment easier. Everything but front caster is adjustable by screwing rose joints in and out. Front caster changes are accomplished by moving packing washers areound.

The radiator is extremely heavy duty. I doubt I'll be having any cooling problems.

The bellhousing is a nice cast aluminum piece. The clutch setup included throwout arm and bearing, pivot, slave cylinder, etc. It is set up to take a 10.5" Ford clutch.

Steering column and rack are Toyota. Tilt column. Both bits seem well suited.

The wiring loom is very professional and comes with routing notes.

To say that I am pleased with the car is an understatement. I got more than I was expecting. It is going to make for a very nice GT40 with what I think will be a minimum of fiddling around. Phil delivers the car with the hardest and most finicky tasks (like getting the roof section set up and bending the paneling) completed. Not only is the kit an incredible value, it's of the highest quality.

Dealing with Phil was very straightforward. I would definitely do business with him again.

Looking back over this post, it is both long and poorly organized, for which I apologize. I'm in something of a rush this week and wanted to get this review out sooner rather than later, as it is already well overdue.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I will try to answer them. I can get photos out at some point (still taking pictures right now) too. I'd be more than happy to have people come take a look at the car, which is in the San Francisco bay area. Just drop me a line, we'll work something out.

Scott
[email protected]

G

I live in Danville and would love to see your kit if you can find time to do it. I am available almost any weekday night. I would be available to help you with assembly if you need help. I have been dreaming of getting a GT40, but I have a cobra and I am having trouble convincing my wife I need another fast toy. Let me know.

Len Ulfelder

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the update Scott. My car should be here in about three weeks. Phil put a lot of work into the cladding and has been very detail oriented. I can't wait to see his work. I'm sure I won't be disappointed!

I would love to see pics as well. I have been visiting the gt40 replication for about a year and a half and always wondered why they didn't have more pics of packages, parts, finished cars, etc.

Many thanks-

And I don't agree with the answer.
GT40s are NOT simple cars to put together
since every manufacturer uses different
components which fit a litle differently.
And there are ALWAYS more than one way to
put something together.

Is a Manual an absolute necessity? No.
Is it helpful? Absolutely, and I don't
understand why Phil can't or won't spend
the time to do it.

With current PC technology, and digital cameras, this isn't a big deal. It doesn't need to be 200 pages outlining every single item. Some simple diagrams, decent photos, and clear text can speed the job and make it more enjoyable as well.

It is a mystery to me why he still resists.
You'd think it would be worth his effort even if it only resulted in one more sale.

MikeDD

I too considered Phils kit before I purchased mine. Now I have a good friend who has asked me to look at Phil's kit once again
and render an opinion. The first thing I did was look at his site for price comparison. I checked all of the other items needed to finish the car that doesn't come with the kit. Here is the list.. http://www.gt40.co.nz/partsyouget.html
I believe that the list is a bit consevative. I would estimate that to be about $1500. shy of current costs here in the states.
According to the site the kit price is
$29960.
$ 7,500 items needed to finish

A total of $37,440. If you want AC add $1200.
Add $1000 for leather seats and add another $1250. for pindrives.
My friend definetly wants those items so the price is now $40,890. If I have it shipped by air add $3800 to Phoenix and by ship it is $2600.
Now when you get it here you have to run down all those parts you don't get in the kit. Then you have to build it and paint it.
Well I went back to the site and I see that Phil will build it for you without engine. Add in the options and you have a GT40 painted and ready for the engine for about $50,000 U.S. incuding shipping. WHAT A DEAL !!
So, I would tell my friend that this is a good choice for the money unless he wanted to build it himself then I would tell him to pass as I don't believe he is the type to build without a manual.
I do know that just the cost of the paint and body work over here would be more than what Phil wants to assemble and paint it.
I definetly see Phil's company as a serious player in the world of GT40 kits. I believe
he will have a manual eventually because of the noted interest in his products. The cost of making a manual is nominal campared to what he will make in return.

Just my .04 worth,

Hersh
smile.gif

G

No, a manual is not absolutely necessary, especially if you are a mechanically inclined car guy. However, there is one thing that is absolutely necessary when a manual is not available and should be considered whether one is available or not: RESPONSIVENESS. I have built my car without a manual, but I had a very responsive vendor. The space and time separation should be considered wrt communications with the vendor. One factor that could mitigate this concern is "Does the vendor have an agent/rep in your country or time zone?" If not, some cost ought to be allocated for the communications that will inevitably be necessary.

Ron Earp

Admin
I like the car package and price. But that $7500 figure for the additional parts should be revisited.

It is going to cost a lot more than that to get quality components in the states that approximate a GT40. Lights for $25? Only if they come from a mid 70s Ford LTD. And there are a few other things.

But, on the whole as a turn ket a reasonalbe price.

Ron

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
My car arrived on Friday. I can reaffirm Scott's comments...

The frame is build to a high standard. All welds are clean, mounting points gusseted and suspension pickups reinforced. There is a rollbar integrated into the frame which is well braced. The cladding is very well build and fastend using rivnuts and stainless screws. Full cladding underneath. The suspension members are superb. Tight, clean welds, high quality hardware.

The body is straight, no seams, and even thickness. The glass work appears to be fairly thick, heavy but not overly so. The mounting points are well engineered and stable. There will be minimal body preparation outside of the standard door gaps etc!

The ancillary hardware is well designed, clean, and period looking. Door handles, openers, gas caps, lights covers etc. are well finished.

The interior dash and console are coverd in vinyl and look better than many modern production vehicles.

Phil makes a very high quality product. I have built several replicas in the past, high and low end, and this exceeds all in quality. In my opinion, it represents a very good value.

My digital camera crapped out so pictures will be forthcoming.

I paid a visit to Scott and saw his package. It was very nice and complete. It looks like Neal has himself a winner to. Just remember to get your broker and custom stuff sorted out before the cars get here. From what I have seen GT40 Replications is doing a nice job. How does the DRB unit compare?

Bud

The main differences I saw between the DRB
and Phil Ware's car were:

* Phil's kit used the Renault while DRB
was based upon the G50. DRB has the edge
here...but if you are willing to do
custom fabrication, obviously you could
fit a G50 to Phil's chassis.

* Phil's kit used a cladded chassis (alum
panels riveted to the space frame).
DRB welded sheet steel to their frame.
The aluminum is prettier...but I'd think
the welded steel may be more rigid.
Both looked like good quality chassis.

* Phil's kit was based on Wilwood brakes and
DRB was based on Corvette. That's a toss up
to me...matter of personal preference.
Both are good products.

* DRB interior was very nice. The photos of
Phil's interior did not impress me.
Of course nothing that money cannot fix.

* DRB offered the Wyer wide body at no extra
cost. That's a plus if you want a wide body

There are other differences, but the above are what caught my eye. Bottom line is that
I'm sure you can build a great car with either kit. Phil's is less cost, so I think you can complete his car for less investment.
It's all a matter of what content you want
(and are willing to pay for).

MikeDD

Hello, all.

I've got a bunch of photos of my kit in various stages of disassembly as well as detail shots of most of the bits. Pretty much everything but the windshield and windows, which are still crated for their own protection.

If anyone is interested, I can mail out a CD. All I ask in return is that you buy me a beer if we ever meet. I can also email pics of specific items upon request.

Build update: I'm doing final trim, fitting, and drilling of panelling, starting at the rear of the car and working forward. Can you say "Cleco"? It is going a little slow, mainly because I'm being pretty anal about things like rivet spacing.

Scott

Neal, thank you for all of those pics,,,,,the car looks great!!!!

I too, recently sold my FFR (#1341) and am really,REALLY interested in this GT40 kit.

Did it also come with seats? (or where would you find some "period" looking ones?)

How long a wait was it to get the kit & how "spooky" an ordeal was it to import?

I have been trying to decide between buiding another FFR, buying a new SVT mustang or this GT40 kit. I've shyed away from the 40 since it comes from NZ,,,,,but your pics have me drooling all over my keyboard!

Other than engine-trans-brakes-pedals-wheels-tires& paint,,,,what other items does it look like you'll be needing to complete it?

Whew! Those pics got me all worked up!!!!!

Back