Hoosier tire experience

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Got my Hoosiers last week, and wanted to share my experience.

Ordered Hoosier TDs the other week and was a bit disappointed when they showed up due to the fact that the front tires (part no 45170) had large white letter branding in historic Hoosier font, and the rears (part no 45200) showed up with no white letters and smaller block letter font in the rubber. The real kicker is the fronts were painted on both sides, so turning them around wasn't even an option.

Called Hoosier distributor: He checked into it and called back. "Yep, that's the way they are. You can try to use laquer thinner and take the paint off or stencile the branding onto the rears." Said he would mail a stencile (haven't seen one in the mail yet..)

Called Hoosier directly: This fella was as surprised as I. He agreed, someone must have bumped their heads to make two tires in the same series/family (i.e. TDs) different in appearance. I asked him to check if this was a recent change etc etc, see if he could find some old stock for me etc..... Said he would look into it. Hasn't called back.

Just wanted to make all aware in case you were considering buying a set of these. Apparantly this is the way it is. Haven't learned anything closer to logic, so can't share it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So, forewarned is forearmed.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Rob,

Sorry to hear the disappointment. In review of your post I went to the Hoosier site to see what a "TD" tire is. I was not able to find it, can you put up a link or describe it?

I use the Hoosier R30S4 (now discontinued - replaced by "R6") and I am extremely happy with them. But I am always interested in what alternatives may be available.

BTW, at this moment Hoosier is having a close out on the now discontinued R30S4 if anyone is interested (limited sizes left) - half price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Tim,
I did see the R30S4s on clearance, but unfortunately I struck out on the needed size. It seems that's the high hurdle with the GT40 combo is finding the needed sizes.

Here is the link to the historic and sports car tires:
https://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

If you look at the two part numbers I ordered, (by clicking in on the tread pattern letter) in this case the "I"s, the photos shown have historic large white lettering on both sizes.

From the photo (tread/side wall appearance) and my discussion with Hoosier, I felt this was an "appropriate" tire to use for that vintage look. It's quite a shame, so close.....but they had a lug nut come loose just shy of the finish line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/loser1.gif

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
OK, so the link didn't work....
once if from the above link, you need to go to "specs", then Sports Car DOT bias, then you can find the sizes mentioned.

Sorry about that, but there doesn't seem a way to copy a direct link.

Howard Jones

Supporter
For those of you on 17" wheels have a look at the Grand Am tires. 225X45X17 and 275X40X17 are near perfect for 8" and 10" wheels They also have 245 fronts if they will fit on your car. Be aware that Hoosers tend to run wider than the size would indicate.

well, the good news.....

I use the Hoosier street TD's and they stick like grade school kids boogers. I have found heat cycling the tires by running a couple of hot laps and then leaving the tires alone for a week really stretches the life. But, it takes 2 sets of wheels and tires to effectively pull it off. Otherwise, the Hoosiers are dead after one weekend. the rears may last 2 weekends.

The other good news....don't worry about the white lettering. you will wear the tires out so fast it won't matter!

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Dan,
Thanks for the insites.
Good info about the cycling.
Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
well, the good news.....

I use the Hoosier street TD's and they stick like grade school kids boogers. I have found heat cycling the tires by running a couple of hot laps and then leaving the tires alone for a week really stretches the life.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you buy tires from Tire Rack (and probably other companies that sell competition tires) they'll heat cycle the tires for you.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=66

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Ben,
I spoke with Tire Rack, and they stated they do not sell nor could they get the TDs. Unfortunately, because I would have had them cycled based on experiences with Kumhos.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Rob,

I drag race on hoosiers. I don't care for the white letters since there very slopy painted on. Just take laquire thinner soak a red rag down good and it will rub off with out alot of work.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Jim,
I was concerned about using the laquer thinner. Wasn't sure if there would be any detrimental effects to the rubber. No issues...eh?

I agree 100%.....boy they do a crappy job branding them don't they.

We raced Hoosiers in the ARCA Super car series. Which was at the time pretty darn cool with racing on all types of tracks. (oval asphalt, oval dirt, road, street)

We HAD to use Hoosiers.

Their main trait was inconsistent build quality. Once at the Springfield mile, we were leading and 4 laps from the end the left front goes down. An actual nickle sized hole appeared from the inside of the tire! Punctures are usually associated with a tear or ripping deformation from the outside, not this one. More like a bubble in the sidewall...

About 60% of the races we entered we had tire problems.

We had compound changes from side to side on a tire, asymetrical sidewall heigths, and a myriad of other problems.

Verry strange wearing patterns.

I wouldn't recommend them.

Just what I have seen.

We raced Hoosiers in the ARCA Super car series. Which was at the time pretty darn cool with racing on all types of tracks. (oval asphalt, oval dirt, road, street)

We HAD to use Hoosiers.

Their main trait was inconsistent build quality. Once at the Springfield mile, we were leading and 4 laps from the end the left front goes down. An actual nickle sized hole appeared from the inside of the tire! Punctures are usually associated with a tear or ripping deformation from the outside, not this one. More like a bubble in the sidewall...

About 60% of the races we entered we had tire problems.

We had compound changes from side to side on a tire, asymetrical sidewall heigths, and a myriad of other problems.

Verry strange wearing patterns.

I wouldn't recommend them.

Just what I have seen.

I work for a guy who developed a fluoroscope (a real time x-ray) designed for tires. That way, you could look at new tires and determine if their was any defects in them before you found them on the track. I wonder if he would build some if their was a big enough market...

Back