South African Roaring Forties Cars in Australia?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

I have been informed that a number of the "Missing" Roaring Forties GT chassis manufactured in South Africa (along with the parts required to partially complete the cars) may have arrived at the new Roaring Forties Australia, possibly including chassis #129 which I personally lost a 32K deposit on (many others lost more than I on their respective cars).

While it is likely that these chassis and components have been obtained legally (assuming that the information I received is even accurate regarding the current location of these chassis), I have not received any information indicating that the assets of CAMCO SA (the subcontracted manufacturer) have yet been accounted for by the government appointed administrators for the Roaring Forties insolvency.

As such I am posting the photos of RF chassis #129 taken in South Africa previously forwarded to me by Hershal Byrd. I realize It is unlikely that anyone would be able to identify a specific chassis, but if they can myself and many others would be most interested to hear from you.

Regards,

Alex Hirsbrunner

Attachments

• 7a.jpg
    7a.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 855
  • 6a.jpg
    6a.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 902

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Missing South African Roaring Forties Cars Back in AU?

A few more photos from SA...

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 858
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 862
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 855
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 902
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 896
Yes, this would be a very interesting development. I also lost a big deposit of £11K on chassis 137 that was in South Africa and have photographs that were sent to me at the time. Whether the photographs were of the actual chassis 137 only R40 could confirm................

I'd be very interested to find out if chassis have ended up in Oz as assets to R40.

I'm mighty glad to be shot of anything to do with R40 because of the shoddy way I was treated by R40 at the time. The administrators are continuing to make money out of the process and I've not seen a single penny back.

Since then some of us have taken delivery of an RCR kit. It is a great piece of engineering and, as an R40 casualty, I'm mighty impressed with the way Fran Hall and his team scooped me up - he did not have to do it.

regards

Roger Allen

Hi,

I can absolutely guarantee that we have not recieved any cars out of SA
In fact the only parts of SA were wheels which we purchased directly from the Manufacturer, (unrelated to RF1 and RF2 really) and bodies which were manufactured after the demise of RF1. We also bought back the body molds which were part of the purchased assets.

I only know of the 2 cars which made it to the UK. We were interested in purchasing the assets of Camco primarily to protect our IP and with a view to potentially being able to help those who had lost out but our intents were missinterpreted - someone else within SA has purchased what remained and we have been able to protect the IP by other means.

I believe the cars that were at Camco when RF1 closed would now be in the hands of the new Camco owners.

Regards Paul RF

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I am also curious as to where the chassis and body units went that were in the CamCo South African facility. There were something like six or eight chassis units down there and two cars wearing bodywork and paint. Those were close to being finished as I recall. I used to have some pictures of the lot somewhere around here.

Does anyone know where these went? I knew there were at least two groups trying to get these assets. I think one of the Camco/RF investors that lives in SA was trying to obtain them at one time. There was also a loose group of US/UK enthusiasts trying to raise capital to get them.

In the end I don’t think any of the people that the chassis’ were assigned to ever heard anything else about them either. Not that who they were assigned to really makes any difference, but naturally people have an attachment to a chassis number. I’m sure someone that frequents this forum has some information or has heard something about who has purchased the units.

Ron

I am one of the 2 people who received a partial kit from SA, namely RF#119. I have been unable to detect any trace of a chassis no anywhere on the chassis. If this is the case with all SA produced chassis, it will be difficult to identify specific ones. Incidently, I note that one of the photos shows a full roll cage. One of the items missing from my kit was the roll cage ordered and paid for. I do however realise that I have been much more fortunate than some here in the UK and in the US who got nothing and lost a great deal of money.

Chris

btw Alex,

please always feel free to run your rumours by us first, it may save some time and if the chassis was with us we could have ID'd it for you without the members trying to pic it from photos.

Regards Paul

Last edited:
Alex,
Given that the advice given to you does not seem to contain even an ounce of truth, I think that the source of this advice should be made to justify their comments. If there is a real reason for the misunderstanding then good and well, otherwise it appears to me that there is someone out there deliberately trying to stir up trouble and should be named.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Chris,

I don't believe the accuracy of this information should have any bearing on whether or not I would choose to stop honoring my agreement with the individual who provided me the information to keep their identity private. I will say that it was relayed to me by someone I consider a respected member of the forum.

Granted, my perspective is likely influenced by the loss of $30K +, but I don't think that asking my fellow forum members if information that I received is accurate should be cast as "stirring up trouble", especially since no forum members have confirmed that the information is accurate. Still, I have no problem with Ron removing this post if there are folks that feel it is inappropriate.

Regards,

Al

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Chris,

I hope that Roaring Forties, and RF supporters, are not offended.

There are many rumors flying about the Roaring Forties demise. Not as many now as say ten months ago, but people are curious nonetheless.

Over the last year or so I have personally have heard of many groups trying to get those cars (most of the information came from attorneys involved in the RF liquidation, Camco asset sell, or affected owner investigation):

·A US/UK group to build the cars to help those affected
·A US group to build RF-like cars in the US
·A US/UK group to do the same
·Roaring Forties Australia
·A South African builder
·One of the South African RF/Camco Investors

I don’t feel Al’s question is out of line or malicious. He wanted an answer to something he'd heard as well.

Based on what the New Roaring Forties has written I imagine that the South African Investors has acquired the chassis units. Seems as if the chassis/cars would have to turn up somewhere as the GT40 community, and I don’t mean only on this website, is much smaller than many people realize.

Ron

as the owner of the other sa rf car rf118 I can see my chassiss number clearly stampped on the rt rear up right on the rear surface near the top by the bolts for the cross member.any chassiss should be identifiable by this ,again this depends when they were stamped.

Hi Chris,

I don't believe the accuracy of this information should have any bearing on whether or not I would choose to stop honoring my agreement with the individual who provided me the information to keep their identity private. I will say that it was relayed to me by someone I consider a respected member of the forum.

Granted, my perspective is likely influenced by the loss of $30K +, but I don't think that asking my fellow forum members if information that I received is accurate should be cast as "stirring up trouble", especially since no forum members have confirmed that the information is accurate. Still, I have no problem with Ron removing this post if there are folks that feel it is inappropriate.

Regards,

Al

Hi Alex,
Apologies if I gave the impression that I thought that your question was inappropriate. And I certainly didn't mean that your comments were intended to stir up trouble. However it does seem to me that someone in the shadows might be dropping deliberate little hand grenades with no consideration for the angst that it is causing to people like yourself. Should this person not be found and and asked to explain? If I'm off the mark here please let me know and I am more than happy to be taken down a notch or two.

Back