DRB Replica's from Australia

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
I noticed that this is your first post - welcome. The best advice anyone would offer is to not be shy about using the forum search tool. Take it out for a spin... it works like a charm and I guarantee you'll be amazed at the results you'll get to even the simplest of inquiries.

There's a large contingent of DRB's owners who are members of the forum. While certainly not a complete list, you might send a personal message (PM) to the following current (or former) DRB owners and inquire directly with them:

delaneyp
Kevin Pinkstone
Greg Marriott
Lumpy
flatchat
CraigW
TMK-001
fatal attraction
eight_bit_micro
Jason Arnold
greg_drb17
Lee
Peter Ransom

Would you do us a favor? It would be great is you'd add a fer-real name to your account, so we know who we're chatting with going forward.

Hope you're surviving all the snow over there okay. I don't know about you, but those of us on the west side of the Cascades have had just about enough of it!

Best,

T.

The snow is not a problem here. I live very near Mission Ridge Ski Area (1 mile) so we have snow from Halloween till Easter. I know how miserable (and dangerous) it is on the West Side. My name is Larry LaCabe. I do not have a GT40 as yet. I have been shoping on the internet for about a month now but have much to learn. I do have a Superformance MKIII that I bought last year (SPO2811) and I more or less assumed that when I got a GT40 replica it would be a SPF but I am finding out there are more than a few quality products out there. Thanks for your help...Larry

Ad me to the list, ask any question and we will do our best to answer. The oz $ is down at the moment so DRB should be very competitive in the US. My car should be on the road 1st week 2009.

Darrell
DRB LS1 G50

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Larry, one of the things I liked about the DRB was that even the most basic kit comes with the spider attached to the chassis, the doors hung & operational, & both clips fitted.

That is not to say you won't be doing some glass work - you will be, but how much depends on how fanatical you are about panel gaps.

The fact that these body panels are pre-fitted will save a lot of time.

Also, I liked the fact that the DRB frame has zinc plated sheet steel welded panels, rather than bonded/riveted aly panels. Just a personal preference (probably biased !), but I think this construction will stand up better to a long life on rough roads (& we sure have those over here) !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Larry,
There is a DRB dealer in the Portland area. Cary (503) 678-1115. Real nice low key guy, has a Gulf MkI demonstrator you could look at and probably get a ride in. If you are down this way I've got a MkII SPF you can see too. Depends how original you want the car to be and $$.
Dave Miller
Brush Prairie, WA

Larry,
There is a DRB dealer in the Portland area. Cary (503) 678-1115. Real nice low key guy, has a Gulf MkI demonstrator you could look at and probably get a ride in. If you are down this way I've got a MkII SPF you can see too. Depends how original you want the car to be and $$.
Dave Miller
Brush Prairie, WA
Thanks Dave, I saw a USA Dealer on DRB's web site so I sent them a email, perhaps that is Cary. If I don't hear from them after the holiday's I'll make a call. I want the car to be as original looking as practical. As for the price, I can afford to pay for what I want, but I do want value for my dollar. I don't intend to build anything, I can't see very well and when I can, I don't know what I am looking at anyway. I am just a 69 yo poser who saw the cars race back in the mid 60's and now because there is a replica industry I have a opportunity to live out my Walter Mitty fanasy. The car will be a Sunday Driver, never see a track or be driven in anger. I am 5'8" and getting shorter so fit is not a problem, don't need any bubbles ect... I don't get much action out of Park Place, is that where you bought your car ?

Larry, there are lots of fans of DRB on this site with very favorable things to say about their product. Similarly, there are many favorable reviews of most all of the various manufacturers - probably a testament to the very high quality of most all the GT40 kits and manufacturers.

When I was at the stage you are now (about three years ago) I began a pretty exhaustive research project of the various pros and cons of the different kits and manufacturers. One feature that made a lot of sense to me (being in the rainy northwest) was the stainless steel monocoque chassis of the CAV. I drive my cars regularly rather than keep just garage queens, so, weather protection and durability is important. The monocoque chassis is also more original than tube frame and that was also important. Finally, driveability and ease of use seems to be a strong point of the CAVs, although, you can certainly make any of the various manufacturers cars more comfortable with a little work and thought. None of them would be considered "comfortable" cars to drive. Comparing them in this manner is sort of like saying does it hurt less to have your head run into a wall, or, smacked with a hammer.

If you're over in Seattle sometime then feel free to give me a ping and you can come take a look at my car if you like. In any case, best way to make a comparison across the options is to form your own opinion based upon your own observations and first hand research.

Larry,
I got my SPF from Dynamic Motorsports in Reno. They changed owners and moved. Park Place is no longer a SPF dealer. I think Boise, Idaho is the closest SPF dealer now. If you are looking for a complete car I think the unlicensed MKII in Wisconsin is still available for $75K complete with Roush 427 and RBT trans. Real value. Cliff's comments about aluminum tubs have merit in the NW. I haven't had mine in the rain yet, but it's bound to happen and even with a galvanized tub corrosion could be a problem. Keep us posted on your search.
Dave

Back