Defects in cast aluminum uprights delivered by GOX Teknik

Information translated from a message posted by SFRO (Gjutna spindlar/uprights i GOX GT40) in Swedish.

Announcement by The Swedish national organization for amateur built vehicles, SFRO – February 23, 2010

Information on defects in cast aluminum uprights delivered by GOX Teknik
This letter regards serious doubts in the construction and performance of cast aluminum uprights marketed by GOX to GT40s. The details examined by SFRO in regards to SFRO inspections shows serious problems.

The details show signs of deficits in the casting process. There are pores, sinkings and other defects that affect the strength.

On top of these problems, it is also unclear what material that has actually been used in the casting process. Two independent analysis show that the hardness is significantly lower than what is accepted by those who makes serial production of similar details.

The geometry also shows deficits for being on a modern sports car, where fore mostly the scrubs radius is too large.

SFRO performs inspections of amateur-built vehicles and can therefore not approve nor disapprove single components. It is up to the individual builder to prove that the components fulfill requirements. Still, it may happen that SFRO take a common view on single components.

In terms of cast uprights (from GOX) the decision until otherwise changed is that they shall not be approved in an inspection by SFRO.

The supplier (GOX Teknik AB, GOX Teknik - Sveriges just nu hetaste bilbyggare) was informed on these deficits in December 2009 and was given the possibility to inform its current and potential clients about these problems, through the GOX webpage. No such information has been disclosed (by GOX) as at February 2010. Therefore SFRO is publicizing this information through the SFRO webpage at www.sfro.com.

Clients that have acquired this type of cast uprights should contact the supplier (GOX) to return the components.

SFRO Board and Technical Committee

SFRO (Sveriges fordonsbyggares riksorganisation) is a Swedish national organization founded in 1982 with the goal of making it possible to register amateur built vehicles. The goal of SFRO is to help builders to build their own vehicles and register them for road use. The types of vehicles SFRO handles are rebuilt vehicles (like hot rods, low riders and so on) and amateur built vehicles (specials or kit cars). SFRO can also inspect imported vehicles that it otherwise wouldn't be possible to import. They are then regarded as rebuilt vehicles. Source: Wikipedia

Rune

Supporter
Have You been in contact with GOX before posting this note? , since the SFRO have ben at GOX factory and done testing on these cast aluminum uprights. Have You asked GOX what the result of this testing was?
I hope You can verify that You have the latest update from SFRO.

Have You been in contact with GOX before posting this note? , since the SFRO have ben at GOX factory and done testing on these cast aluminum uprights. Have You asked GOX what the result of this testing was?

Maybe I am dense, but the SFRO website does not appear to have any update. Wouldn't they post one if GOX had addressed the issue? Modify the current announcement to reflect that GOX has addressed it? Because, at this moment, there does not appear to be any update.

Ian

Since you asked Bune, yes, SFRO has verified that as of August 27, 2010, there is no change to their decision. Further, SFRO wants all to be notified that: "Och kom ihåg! Lyssna inte på rykten som finns i omlopp. Här på SFRO´s hemsida kommer du att få fakta..." - which in short says "do not listen to rumours, facts will be published on the SFRO web page."

Hello
That is why I have developed my own. Not a soft airy aluminum that is not cured. These have bolted steering arm to easily modify Ackerman 10 degrees of kingpin angle, adjustable caster but default 6 degrees. Bearing fit that makes it will never come off. See the pictures and enjoy ..

Attachments

• imag0149.jpg
    imag0149.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,081
  • IMAG0147.jpg
    IMAG0147.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 875
  • imag0146.jpg
    imag0146.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • Assembly5.jpg
    Assembly5.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 814
  • dsc00388.jpg
    dsc00388.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 821
Last edited:
more picture

Attachments

• IMAG0216.jpg
    IMAG0216.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 815
  • Assembly6.jpg
    Assembly6.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 567
  • SV400009.jpg
    SV400009.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 788
  • Assembly7.jpg
    Assembly7.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Wow, those are some beautifully machined units. Look very sturdy. Much sturdier than the alloy uprights on my early CAV mono.

For a sturdy steel unit that is also precision made, Ian at CAV Canada makes some beautiful pieces that should work well for just about any GT40 replica. He might sell these to non-CAV owners if you're nice to him!

since the SFRO have ben at GOX factory and done testing on these cast aluminum uprights. Have You asked GOX what the result of this testing was?

Bune,

I heard that SFRO actually have been at GOX and done testing. What was the result?

Rune

Supporter
GurnWres: Why not ask SFRO for the report insted of asking here? and as Ron say, it does not belong here.

GurnWres: Why not ask SFRO for the report insted of asking here?

Dear Bune, if you recall ("since the SFRO have ben at GOX factory and done testing on these cast aluminum uprights") you were the one who brought this up - seemingly implying that there was more information to add to the first statement by SFRO (02/23/10).

The missing information was that SFRO has been at GOX and done testing and that the GOX uprights failed to pass - information that GOX has refrained from announcing despite instructions from SFRO.

...and as Ron say, it does not belong here.

I believe you are mis-informed. This information is placed under Feedback: Buyers, Sellers, & Vendors since it is relevant to any prospective purchaser of a GOX replica and you have not understood what Ron referred to.

Back