Mustangs Unlimited

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
..sell thin original style Ford valve covers for SBF engines..which don't seal. They are so cheaply made that when you tighten them down, the distort and can't compress the gasket. The oil leaks out between the valve cover spacer and the cylinder head.
They are sold as a pair, and the illustration in their catalog shows them with a breaker cap. Only one has a breather cap, however, and the other one has a PCV grommet and opening. So, if the engine doesn't use a PCV valve, you have to buy two sets of thin cheap valve covers. Presumably this is so the engine will leak from both sides, not just one.

They do not accept used parts back, even if they did not work right, so I am stuck with two sets of valve covers, one set of aluminum spacers, etc. All this is going into the metal recycling trash. I am going back to the Canton valve covers. They may not look original, but they are sturdily made and don't leak. Maybe we can find breathers for them that are not chromed.

This isn't the first problem with Mustangs Unlimited, but it will be the last one. I'm tired of cheap parts which look like the real thing and then fail to work as they ought to.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Jim,

I might have a set of original early ford 260/289 covers. They have no openings as they are off a non PCV engine with the oil fill in the front cover. If one of my guys didn't use them, you are welcome to them. I'll look this weekend.

Jim,

Only thing to do is hang them in the garage for decoration.
Very annoying. I have to say I've been down that road many times already.

Martin

..sell thin original style Ford valve covers for SBF engines..which don't seal. They are so cheaply made that when you tighten them down, the distort and can't compress the gasket. The oil leaks out between the valve cover spacer and the cylinder head. If they were used as intended, ie with a single gasket & directly onto the head and not asked to perform the second function of compressing the second gasket between spacer & head they may have worked better, not doubting your claim of them being made of thinner gauge steel, but even the thicker originals might struggle to cope with this situation. PS. most early 221/260/289 motors prior to 8-20-65 were equipped with road draft tube breathers from the center rear of the intake manifold & the filler tube went into timing cover, did not have PCV until after that. So early motors were plain, later filler cap on LH side & PCV on RHS... As always you get what you ask for
They are sold as a pair, and the illustration in their catalog shows them with a breaker cap. Only one has a breather cap, however, and the other one has a PCV grommet and opening. So, if the engine doesn't use a PCV valve, you have to buy two sets of thin cheap valve covers. Presumably this is so the engine will leak from both sides, not just one.

They do not accept used parts back, even if they did not work right, so I am stuck with two sets of valve covers, one set of aluminum spacers, etc. All this is going into the metal recycling trash. I am going back to the Canton valve covers. They may not look original, but they are sturdily made and don't leak. Maybe we can find breathers for them that are not chromed.

This isn't the first problem with Mustangs Unlimited, but it will be the last one. I'm tired of cheap parts which look like the real thing and then fail to work as they ought to.

Pic is of Jims motor with spacer to clear roller rockers etc I assume

Last edited:
..sell thin original style Ford valve covers for SBF engines..which don't seal. They are so cheaply made that when you tighten them down, the distort and can't compress the gasket. The oil leaks out between the valve cover spacer and the cylinder head.

Mustangs Unlimited sells a whole lotta crap. most of their sale people don't even know what they're selling you. I used to sell them parts as a wholesaler and they would send parts back that their customers broke and say I sent them to Mustangs Unlimited that way. they would deduct the broken parts from what they owed me from other sales. I dropped them like a rock.
2 things: I would either file a complaint with your credit card company and have them do a charge back or if bought on Ebay, file a "not as described" case against them. if you don't stand up to them they'll just keep walking all over people. they think they're bigger then they really are.
Next time buy those kind of parts thru CJ Pony Parts. they stand behind their products even though they may be a little higher. J.M.O.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
In all fairness to M.U. - I don't think they manufacture anything. Just reselling. I've purchased from them in the past (few years back) and had to troubles to speak of.. I did do my research on the items purchased to ascertain their quality ahead of time.

Make sure (as with any vendor) that you check and are happy with their return policy ahead of time.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I understand your point about the spacers and the metal valve covers. The only problem is that ALL this stuff was bought from MU as a package- the two sets of valve covers (because they don't tell you that only one valve cover has a breather cap) and the spacers, and the caps. We aren't using any of it now. We went back to the Canton cast aluminum valve covers. They aren't original, but they don't leak, and they clear the roller rocker arms. If I could just find some breathers for them that were plain steel and not chromed, I'd settle for that.

This isn't the first time I've had problems with MU. I'm fed up with them. Their tech help is a joke, and in spite of the fact that they knew exactly what I planned to do with the valve covers, spacers, gaskets etc- they sold them to me for that purpose and had recommended all those bits- they won't accept them back. My advice for all members of this forum is to buy your Ford parts from a company who knows what they're doing. MU don't.

I understand your point about the spacers and the metal valve covers. The only problem is that ALL this stuff was bought from MU as a package- the two sets of valve covers (because they don't tell you that only one valve cover has a breather cap) and the spacers, and the caps. We aren't using any of it now. We went back to the Canton cast aluminum valve covers. They aren't original, but they don't leak, and they clear the roller rocker arms. If I could just find some breathers for them that were plain steel and not chromed, I'd settle for that.

This isn't the first time I've had problems with MU. I'm fed up with them. Their tech help is a joke, and in spite of the fact that they knew exactly what I planned to do with the valve covers, spacers, gaskets etc- they sold them to me for that purpose and had recommended all those bits- they won't accept them back. My advice for all members of this forum is to buy your Ford parts from a company who knows what they're doing. MU don't.

Jim: you are right on as far as the knowledge base for MU. Unfortunately, there are so many companies today that hire people to sell a part number regardless of what it fits. if the computer says it fits, it fits. the day of the true "car guy" behind the counter or on the phone is getting to be long gone.
not to knock Ford but I hear it all the time from friends at Ford and GM both that there just isn't enough true car people anymore working for the car companies. Ford has a program where they are hiring back Ford retirees and letting them keep their pensions at the same time becuase they need true car people back in their work force.

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
I called a few companies last month looking for a pair of valve covers for my GT 40. I wanted the gloss black with red letter "Ford Racing" on them. No one had them. One company told me the Pro Form set with the wrinkle black was available. I did not want the wrinkle black pair. I called Mustangs Unlimited because of a ad in a magazine. When I asked the guy if they had the M6582L302 valve covers with Gloss Black finish, red letter, not the wrinkle black, he told me he would have to go to the back and check. He came back and said yes they are gloss black. I order them and paid $120 plus shipping.
When I received them they were the wrinkle black ones. I emailed him and they claimed they did not have the gloss black ones. They offered to refund my money or credited my card with $20.
I accepted the $20 and installed the wrinkle ones on the GT 40. They look good but I still think the gloss black ones would look better.
A couple of days ago I received my June issue of Modified Mustangs & Ford with a ad from Mustangs Unlimited listing both valve covers. The wrinkle ones for $79.95. Today I emailed them and ask why they charged me $100 for the covers they were advertizing for $80. I recieved a request for a fax copy of the ad. I just email them one and I'm now waiting to see what they will do.

Dwight

I can just see it.....you fax them their own ad, then they respond and offer $20 bucks and ask you to write a memo to their sales staff describing the difference between the wrinkle finish and the gloss finish.....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I'm highly entertained by this, but I wish they weren't such meatheads......sorry that happened to you.

Want some valve cover spacers? :)

Back