DRB Not building kits anymore.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All.

Very disapointed to read this on the Cobra Forum.

"Originally Posted by Towmaster
DRB announced a week ago that they are no longer selling kits but just supplying parts from a smaller shed. This from a company that has been making kits for god knows how long. Probably close to 20 years?"

Having just purchased 2 GT40 kits in addition to my previous one I would not have expected they were in such dire financial problems.

It is easy to see that this could happen given the state of the economy and the way the Aus dollar has gone making our products so much more expensive the world over.

On another note with no more DRB GT40's being made it may drive the value of the existing ones higher especially given the current problems in getting registered in NSW only getting harder.

The quality of the DRB product has always been up there and I am sad to see this happen.

Dimi

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
We thank you for your Patriotism Dimi -- if only you'd taken another five of 'em.

But they're not dead yet!

DRB have been around a long time --since the late 60s and with the Cobras and GT40s since the early 90s and recently the SC540 . They've always been a well constructed and easy "kit" to build and road register, by Australian standards.

I know that a lot of unrewarded effort has gone into these things during the last decade just to keep abreast of the moving target of ADRs which seems to be inconsistent per state (Australian Design Regulations -- then interpreted in each state)

The SC540 was a brilliant concept and dead easy to build.
Simply buy the "kit", buy the donor car ( BA-BF Falcon, GT or Ute) --dismantle one Falcon and reassemble into SC 540 with all the mod cons --dynamic stability, ABS, track control, air con. air bags etc etc all to meet with current ADRs-- it would seem.
Best wishes........................

Last edited:
I spoke to Mel this morning and she did not mention that this was happening.

Hey I bought 3 from them aswell.......and was hoping for a few more.

Dimi, I am also very disappointed to find this situation. I checked with DRB today and they confirmed that while they still have a couple of body/chassis units they are ceasing building them. Parts supply only for the next few years, supporting those building like yourself, while Peter sees how the economy and demand is going. The very strong dollar has no doubt killed exports, and there is a lack of fiscal confidence at present. It is sad to see a manufacturer who has worked so hard and developed their product into a solid, bullet-proof, very durable and reliable car, having to scale back this way.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
On another note -- this is probably the best solution to get a decent holiday,
for a one man band running a small business in this country -- being so passionate about your product , 100% percent responsible to your customers, suppliers and staff 24 / 7.

Is there a medical term for subliminal fatigue?

That really is sad to hear. I visited DRB a few months ago and was treated to a view of their cars and workshop, even though I'm a traitor to my country and the local kit car industry and bought a GT40 direct from the USA!

But seriously, I'm sad to hear this and hope that the local builders and resellers remain viable and continue to provide others with the opportunity to build these great cars. Looks like its time to remember the local companies and builders who are always ready to help those in country with parts and advice.

Back